Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So for a while now, I cannot remember if it did this since new or not, but when I start the car, whether its cold or normal operating temp, and in Race mode, when I shift from P to R or D it like bangs or thuds into the gear. If its in normal mode though you don't even feel it go from P to R or D. Is this normal for it to do that in Race only? You can feel the shift change throughout the whole car! I'm aware Race is a lot more aggressive, but does it have to be this hardcore while standing still?

·
Registered
2018 Giulia QV
141 Posts
It is like a wild horse sensing you are about to let it loose and starts bucking on you!!! It is telling you to let me go and run like the wind!!! :D

Sorry, can't help on this as I'm usually in N when I start it as I let it warm up first and put in N when getting close to my destination.

·
Registered
2020 Giulia
1,003 Posts
This happens on my non quad from time to time.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Is the car sitting on the parking pawl on an incline? If you have the weight of the car on the park pawl, and/or not engaging the park brake until after the weight of the car has been put onto the transmission internals you will get a substantial thump as the car de-tensions the drivetrain.

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
8,626 Posts
Is the car sitting on the parking pawl on an incline? If you have the weight of the car on the park pawl, and/or not engaging the park brake until after the weight of the car has been put onto the transmission internals you will get a substantial thump as the car de-tensions the drivetrain.
Also be certain that you have released the parking brake. The automatic parking brake release will make the car start out with a bit of a thud.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
I have my QV's parking brake off the automatic engagement, so only activates when I intentionally flick the switch to do so. But sometimes, When I put my Alfa into reverse and nudge the throttle, always in D, my car will "jerk a bit as if the e Brake was slightly engaged. Just sometimes. Doesn't seem to bother me or my car. I have no answer to why it is so, when is not engaged. Only happens when I go from Park to reverse. NV

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, say the car is already warmed up, I get in, start it up, with my foot on the brake pedal I release the e-brake and then with my foot still on the brake pedal I switch to race and then either R or D, so as soon as I go into either R or D, that's when the thug happens. So there is no tension on the transmission since the e-brake was on, and this happens on flat level surface as well.

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
8,626 Posts
Well, say the car is already warmed up, I get in, start it up, with my foot on the brake pedal I release the e-brake and then with my foot still on the brake pedal I switch to race and then either R or D, so as soon as I go into either R or D, that's when the thug happens. So there is no tension on the transmission since the e-brake was on, and this happens on flat level surface as well.
To avoid a thug, stay out of bad neighborhoods :)

You mean you hear a thud with your foot still on the brake, just telling the computer to engage drive while the engine is idling? I have to wonder if your accelerator pedal is sticking and not returning to idle. MES can check for you.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
To avoid a thug, stay out of bad neighborhoods :)

You mean you hear a thud with your foot still on the brake, just telling the computer to engage drive while the engine is idling? I have to wonder if your accelerator pedal is sticking and not returning to idle. MES can check for you.
Yes exactly. Foot on brake still, e-brake disengaged, shift to D or R and bang! I suppose a solution to this is to start out in Normal and not Race to get rid of this banging feeling and noise.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts