Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my Giulia TI for a week now and love it despite a few glitches here and there. I have the navigation and the upgraded Harmon/Kardan audio. I am coming from a car that had XM/Sirius NavTraffic that shows the current speed for all the major freeways in the area, and I miss having that information on my daily commute.

I was told while looking at the Giulia that the navigation has traffic information, and the website for the Alfa's TomTom 3D Connect nav system lists TMC Traffic information if you click on see all features (https://www.tomtom.com/en_gb/in-dash-navigation/connect_3d_nav/). Also, I have Traffic Events checked under the navigation settings where you can add POI's to the map, but I haven't seen one bit of traffic information pop up anywhere in Houston. Anyone have any luck getting traffic information? If so, is it only when you are navigating to a destination? Does it give average speed information or just notification of accidents? Thanks!

·
Registered
869 Posts
I'm in Houston too. My Ti doesn't even mention traffic in the Settings. I can see RDS, which I have set to On, but I definitely do not see any traffic data. Maybe its not enabled in the US cars, like the touch pad?

What Houston Alfa dealer did you buy at?

·
Registered
2017 Vesuvio Grey Giulia Ti Q2
413 Posts
I found mention of traffic in the following menu:

Settings / Navigation / Appearance / route bar/ traffic events

It does not appear to work. I hope the antenna to receive traffic data is installed and it is just a matter of an update or FCA adding Alfa Romeo to their Uconnect website.

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
I asked the Dealer about this and they assumed that it works. I live near Philadelphia, PA and confirm that traffic does not work. I scour the internet in the hopes of finding information about an Infotainment update addressing this and hopefully adding CarPlay and Android Auto. No luck yet.

2017 Giulia Ti AWD Sports Package
Magneti Marelli Infotainment (TomTom Navigation)

·
Registered
658 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Hope you are able to come up with an answer on how to get live traffic working. It's definitely a feature that I'm counting in Alfa Romeo enabling in a code update. I just hope they didn't omit some small but impossible to retrofit hardware that is needed.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
I too have a Ti with the upgraded SatNav and Harmon Kardon units. I don't have any 'live' data. Quite frankly, the SatNav is a lot less than what I was expecting.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was hoping that maybe somewhere in the US someone was able to get traffic data. I even used the nav a few times just to see if you have to have a destination set to get traffic data, but I still have not seen anything show up. The black and white color scheme is extremely monotonous. The XM/Sirius NavTraffic is not great, but I do miss it in this car.

Megadeth, I bought mine at Helfman by 610 and I-10. I've only seen 2 others on the road since I bought mine.

·
Registered
38 Posts
New Ti in NJ/NY metro - no traffic

I just bought a Ti Q4 last week with the HK upgrade and I've been trying to figure out the traffic feature as well. I have everything checked related to traffic but nothing shows on the screen. However, I was sitting in traffic headed to Newark Airport and had the wife check Waze against the ETA on the Giulia Nav and the arrival times were the same but Waze showed the almost standstill traffic. I was wondering if the info was making it into the Nav system but not show on-screen.

I am seen multiple threads about this on the forum but haven't seen an actual answer. Does @AlfaRomeoCares have an answer or can they find us one?

·
Registered
84 Posts
I ran the same test in Phoenix and Los Angeles using the sat nav in our Giulia Q4 with the traffic options checked on. However, I got the opposite results each time (opposite to yours).

Similar to your and other posters' experience, our sat nav also never shows traffic information, despite my having the traffic option "on." In one test in Los Angeles and another in Phoenix, I programmed the same destination into the sat nav and my Google Maps app in my Android phone (Google Maps does show traffic, at least in the Android version). In Los Angeles, the Google Maps ETA was about 20 minutes longer and in Phoenix, it was about 7 minutes longer. In both cases, the Google Maps app ETA was the accurate one. I ran another test in Los Angeles and again Google was the accurate one.

Based on this, I would say that, at least in my car here in the United States (and the dealer just told me I have the latest software), not only does the Giulia sat nav not show traffic information, it doesn't take it into account when calculating the ETA/fastest route.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Traffic is like playlist, does not work!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Does it require the addition of the Sirrus/XM traffic subscription at $3.99 month? I know my Mercedes required the additional subscription package to see live traffic.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Thanks Taz! I honestly didn't think about that feature.

Alfa Romeo is not listed on the Sirius "vehicle availability" traffic webpage. Entering the VIN in the traffic FAQ's took me into my package (All Access) and allowed me to make changes to the subscription, but the traffic option was not listed.

I'll keep trying Sirius by calling tomorrow. I've had a couple of new Mercedes, the latest a couple of years ago. If memory serves, that option (traffic) was turned on and working when the car was sold, during the free trial. Still, this is a good lead and worth exploring. Leaving no stone unturned...

·
Registered
84 Posts
Update:
Called Sirius this morning and spoke with Francis from Honduras. Explained my situation: that I had the All Access free trial in my new Alfa Romeo, had already committed to Sirius for the next year of All Access at a certain cost, and wanted to sign up and pay for traffic for $3.99 per month and Travel Link for $1.99 per month (not taking any chances - wanted all available data services).

Since she couldn't find Alfa Romeo in her computer to add the traffic and Travel Link services, she transferred me to Ian in the Philippines. Ian, after putting me on hold, came back and stated the two services were added, refreshed my Sirius subscription, stated that it would take about 15 minutes to upload the traffic service information into my radio, and charged my credit card $70.56 USD, the prorated annual cost for the two services.

I let the radio update. Two hours later, I started the car, programmed a destination, drove, but no traffic information. In fact, no change at all.

To clear everything, I Restored Navigation Settings to factory defaults. In Settings/System, I cleared Personal Data, and Restored All Settings, (losing everything I had stored, including phones and favorites). Turned off the car for 30 minutes, and tried again, programming another destination and driving. Still no traffic information, and no change in appearance or functionality at all.

Called Sirius again and asked for the Technical Department. Got connected to Frank in the Philippines. After a 43 minute conversation, two resets, several "refreshes," and a consultation with what I assume are his superiors, Frank told me my car was initially set up to receive Sirius traffic information, but since then, a change occurred in the car's hardware or software which now does not allow for that to occur. He referred me back to Alfa Romeo, and refunded my $70.56.

At this time, I am still waiting for a response from AlfaRomeoCares on the latest map version and on this "no traffic information showing" issue here in the U.S.

It was worth a try!

·
Registered
547 Posts
Update:
Called Sirius this morning and spoke with Francis from Honduras. Explained my situation: that I had the All Access free trial in my new Alfa Romeo, had already committed to Sirius for the next year of All Access at a certain cost, and wanted to sign up and pay for traffic for $3.99 per month and Travel Link for $1.99 per month (not taking any chances - wanted all available data services).

Since she couldn't find Alfa Romeo in her computer to add the traffic and Travel Link services, she transferred me to Ian in the Philippines. Ian, after putting me on hold, came back and stated the two services were added, refreshed my Sirius subscription, stated that it would take about 15 minutes to upload the traffic service information into my radio, and charged my credit card $70.56 USD, the prorated annual cost for the two services.

I let the radio update. Two hours later, I started the car, programmed a destination, drove, but no traffic information. In fact, no change at all.

To clear everything, I Restored Navigation Settings to factory defaults. In Settings/System, I cleared Personal Data, and Restored All Settings, (losing everything I had stored, including phones and favorites). Turned off the car for 30 minutes, and tried again, programming another destination and driving. Still no traffic information, and no change in appearance or functionality at all.

Called Sirius again and asked for the Technical Department. Got connected to Frank in the Philippines. After a 43 minute conversation, two resets, several "refreshes," and a consultation with what I assume are his superiors, Frank told me my car was initially set up to receive Sirius traffic information, but since then, a change occurred in the car's hardware or software which now does not allow for that to occur. He referred me back to Alfa Romeo, and refunded my $70.56.

At this time, I am still waiting for a response from AlfaRomeoCares on the latest map version and on this "no traffic information showing" issue here in the U.S.

It was worth a try!
Thank you for this effort. I don't think FCA realizes how important this feature is to most of us here in the US. This NAV unit is Useless and to charge a premium to have it is absolute bait and switch.......

·
Registered
149 Posts
Thank you for this effort. I don't think FCA realizes how important this feature is to most of us here in the US. This NAV unit is Useless and to charge a premium to have it is absolute bait and switch.......
Sorry to hear that - I remember our discussion on this topic...
Keep my fingers crossed

·
Registered
81 Posts
Sorry to hear that - I remember our discussion on this topic...
Keep my fingers crossed
You know what? I feel like it is a bait and switch too. It is a paid for option that has mentions in a lot of Alfa publications. Such as the PDF brochures for the U.S. I have saved.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have new owned a AR. As I was shopping around for cars, one thing I wanted was an infotainment package that I knew could grow as technology advances. For me that the answer was to look for cars that support Android Auto (Apple Car Play is similar). With Android Auto I'll be using Google Maps with traffic alerts (or Waze). I liked the 2017 Giulia but alas, no Android Auto support. Then I was told by the sales manager that 2018's being ordered would come with Android Auto and Apple Car Play. Monday I'm placing an order for a 2018 Giulia and the sales contract will have Android Auto support written into it.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Hello everyone.

Has the traffic on the navigation been working for everyone lately?

Thanks

1 - 20 of 45 Posts