Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a current M4 driver and am thinking of a QV as my next DD. I test drove the QV the other day and seem to be thinking about it ever since. I've done a fair amount of research and the following are my areas of concern with the QV compared to my M4:

--Transmission - the DCT in the M4 is my favorite part about the car...everything is just right...upshifts/downshifts, the way the shifter on the center console falls in your hand and is always in the right position to pull or push.

--Brakes - lots written on this...do you get used to them?

--No HUD - vowed I could never get a car without HUD after living with it for almost 3 years

--Infotainment - seems years behind iDrive

--Interior - besides carbon fiber, plastics seem cheap

--Gas mileage - not a big deal, but I regularly get 22-23 MPG in the M4 under spirited driving. What are QV drivers getting?

Appreciate the input!

·
Registered
437 Posts
The Giulia is a better driver's car. Sure you'll miss a few creature comforts but you'll want to drive the Giulia every day...and I don't even have a QV... I just have a Q4 with some performance goodies.

And this is coming from someone who's been to a bmw dealership in the last month to test drive an f80 m3 and an m2.

The brakes you get used to. It's an adjustment in the beginning, but not something you think about after a couple hundred miles of getting to know the car.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Trade M4 for QV

Let's see....
Quad has..
1) Better engine
2) Better chassis
3) Better steering
4) Better seats
5) Better looking
6) Way more unique
7) Cleaner interior aesthetic
8) Better logo
9) Greater Racing Heritage

Reactions: DeanDep and alfa55

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
I'm a current M4 driver and am thinking of a QV as my next DD. I test drove the QV the other day and seem to be thinking about it ever since. I've done a fair amount of research and the following are my areas of concern with the QV compared to my M4:

--Transmission - the DCT in the M4 is my favorite part about the car...everything is just right...upshifts/downshifts, the way the shifter on the center console falls in your hand and is always in the right position to pull or push.

--Brakes - lots written on this...do you get used to them?

--No HUD - vowed I could never get a car without HUD after living with it for almost 3 years

--Infotainment - seems years behind iDrive

--Interior - besides carbon fiber, plastics seem cheap

--Gas mileage - not a big deal, but I regularly get 22-23 MPG in the M4 under spirited driving. What are QV drivers getting?

Appreciate the input!

The M4 is rated at 17city 25highway? and you get 22-23 in spirited driving? I’ve driven one and it’s a pretty fun car but there’s no way I’d be above 20 average but I tend to have far more city/suburban driving than highway miles so that might skew things. That said the QV does have long legs on highway cruising. I see 30 mpg on the highway crusing @ just under 75 but around town I tend to get 15mpg but mostly because the exhaust note is a bit addicting.

I’ve had some semi-autos before and the zf is nearly as quick, and the huge column mounted paddles are the best thing from a car not from
Maranello. The plus side is in regular auto mode is luxury car smooth. Many pluses and very few if any minuses.

HUD’s are cool I guess but what info do you need to see on the windscreen really?

Infotainment is probably a gen behind the BMW but if you want cutting edge the Audi’s virtual cockpit blows everything away IMHO. It’s cool for sure but in the end it’s just super nice stuff that’s non-essential.

The brakes are definitely different but I’ve gotten used to them. I don’t even think about them anymore.

One reason I got the QV was I figured how many more generations of gasoline super sports sedan driving machines are we going to see? It’s sad but efficiency, legislation and automation are putting the driver further and further out of the driver’s seat. Ask yourself this; in 15-20 years time when the tech advances and digital gadgets galore, electric powertrains are super common and almost everything is automated are you going to pine about the HUD display and infotainment, that will be outdated technology by then anyway, or will you remember the way the exhaust sound made your pulse quicken and roll down your windows and turn the radio off or the way it turned in like a go kart and put a smile on your face every time you got behind that wheel?

·
Registered
5,010 Posts
Negative, ZCP wasn't available when I bought mine...
then I can give you some real world/no Fanboy BS from either side of the fence.
I had an F80 M3 (pre-ZCP) as it was not available as well.
The QV is a better driver's car IMHO, the ZCP closes the gap but still falls a little short.
Where the QV is not as good IMHO are the interior bits/infotainment/audio. It was almost as if it was an after thought.
The ergonomics of the QV are better, the seats are more comfortable, as is the ride.
Gas mileage sucks, but it wasn't really great in my F80 either.
DCT vs. ZF8.....tough call, the ZF shifts very quickly, car never feels out of gear. though I bet technically the DCT shifts faster.

if you track your car at all, you will really see the difference, chassis/balance/steering/suspension are all sublime, the engine pulls like a freight train.
Brakes: these took me awhile to learn how to modulate not gonna lie, bothered me a little at first. then I got used to them and frankly they are very solid (steel brakes).
Good Luck in your search.

·
Registered
261 Posts
you forgot to ask the most important question... Reliability??
It's an important question, and a fair one. But I don't think it can be answered definitively yet. The car has not existed long enough for sufficient, statistically relevant data to be gathered. It will probably take a few more years before any conclusions can be drawn about the reliability of the current generation of Alfa Romeo vehicles.

Anecdotally, however, I would assume most of the members of this forum consider their Giulias to be quite reliable. I certainly do.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I think the part of the interior that gets me feeling about cheap plastics is from the fact that everything from the arm-rest down on the outside perimeter is plastic (i.e. B-pillar, door pockets). On most cars of this price point that stuff is wrapped in at least matching vinyl if not leather. It becomes noticeable on a daily basis as everytime I release the seat belt buckle it bangs on the B-pillar making a horrible sound (not so if wrapped). I suppose I could retrofit and stretch black material from one door jam to another....Overall however the interior design is pleasant.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Coming from a 2017 M3 base model, i was in the same camp as you initially. Having made the plunge, here are my thoughts
- gas mileage for my manual M3 as a daily driver averaged 22mpg. This is calculated in fuelly.com using odometer readings and gallons to fill. Currently, i am getting an average of 18mpg. Not bad for 500hp considering that my last 500hp car was averaging 12mpg (E60 M5).

- infotainment does suck on QV compared to M3. I do not have android auto/apple carplay. It is a lot more simplistic but can get the job done. It was not a deal breaker for me because 500hp.

- I have the CCB, loads more stopping power. As people say, you do get used to it, i think the issues are more hyped up than driving reality.

- i rarely ran the M3 to redline. The torque was all low down, and the engine sounded awful, like a full on blender attack. Again, coming from the M5 which sang all the way to redline of 8400 (with a tune), i almost always hit the redline. Guess what, the QV brings back this joy, i forget to shift sometimes, it sounds so good, so sweet, it really needs another 1000 rpm to go. As for the Auto, it shifts very quickly, i am amazed. Anyone know the shift times yet? It is definitely on par with DCT and PDK.

- i always describe the QV as being more sensual than the M3 was. I have not regretted my purchase (1month in, 1900miles) and to me, it is more exotic than the M3/4. If you value brand and image more, it will be safer to stick with the known players, BMW, MB, Porsche, but the real joy has been my QV.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
38 Posts
PS, make sure to get the carbon fiber steering wheel. You get three materials, carbon, alcantara and leather. Anyone else loves fondling the steering wheel as much as i do ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
47 Posts
Brake feel

I don’t understand the issues that people say they have with the brakes or their feel. I have the CCB and I love them on a street car. I have had them on a Ferrari and two AMGs prior to the QV. Yes, the feel is different than the brakes on my Suburban. But thank you for that! They aren’t grabby, they aren’t wooden and they work well.. Plus no brake dust!

·
Registered
423 Posts
I don’t understand the issues that people say they have with the brakes or their feel. I have the CCB and I love them on a street car. I have had them on a Ferrari and two AMGs prior to the QV. Yes, the feel is different than the brakes on my Suburban. But thank you for that! They aren’t grabby, they aren’t wooden and they work well.. Plus no brake dust!
I think most of the issue people report is the brake-by-wire. No mechanical connection from brake pedal seems to be an on/off proposition until you get used to it. Many reviews say the same. Maybe Alfa is working on software improvements like Infiniti's drive by wire system?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Having just bought a QV over a M3 ZHP I can weigh a bit in on this. Basically the M3 is an overall better car, but the QV won due to all the intangibles. Also down the road when the kids ask about my past cars, would I rather tell them I owned a M3 or a proper Alfa Romeo?

·
Registered
5,010 Posts
Having just bought a QV over a M3 ZHP I can weigh a bit in on this. Basically the M3 is an overall better car, but the QV won due to all the intangibles. Also down the road when the kids ask about my past cars, would I rather tell them I owned a M3 or a proper Alfa Romeo?
did you own the M3?? or test drive them both & choose the Alfa?

·
Registered
616 Posts
the infotainment in the alfa is far better than my Ferrari (512 Berlinetta Boxer) and my Porsche (930 turbo).

with that said, I could give a schyt about infotainment and frankly, would be just as in love w/ the alfa if it had nothing for infotainment.

the qv is a bad azz beast. enough said.

·
Registered
32 Posts
did you own the M3?? or test drive them both & choose the Alfa?
Sorry should have been more clear, I test drove them both (and an Audi RS3) on the same day. I've also driven a non-ZHP M4 6-sp over the past year as well. I'm definitely a 3-pedal purist, so me picking a car with a torque converter means it's really special.

·
Registered
5,010 Posts
Sorry should have been more clear, I test drove them both (and an Audi RS3) on the same day. I've also driven a non-ZHP M4 6-sp over the past year as well. I'm definitely a 3-pedal purist, so me picking a car with a torque converter means it's really special.
gotcha...never drove an RS3 because it was too small for my taste...wish they would bring back the RS6:grin2:

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
QV is a monster of a sport sedan......... I am driving it more than my 997 Carrera S........

Infosystem, interior, gas mileage etc. is all forgotten once you get absorbed into the driving experience.......

The QV really is a special vehicle.....

Reactions: lowlight
1 - 20 of 42 Posts