Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had their Ti or base Giulia evaluated for trade value. What sort of figures are you getting? I have a 2017 Ti sport Q2 with 12 thousand miles. KBB says 30k, considering the car stickered at 48k that seems low to me. Any real world experiences?

·
Registered
437 Posts
That's right on the mark. It's a combination of supply, demand, current incentives, and sport luxury sedan market.

I've had 2 trade-in offers in that vicinity.

·
Registered
537 Posts
That price sounds right, consider they’ll likely list it for $35k, maybe less, especially considering there are incentives on right now to lease, and the car has 12k miles.

·
Registered
139 Posts
It's not particularly surprising, Alfas are noted for their steep depreciation.
Hence why some of us are waiting for 30k Giulia QVs to hit lots :)

You should always try and sell privately before trading in, it's quite easy with sites like cargurus.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Has anyone had their Ti or base Giulia evaluated for trade value. What sort of figures are you getting? I have a 2017 Ti sport Q2 with 12 thousand miles. KBB says 30k, considering the car stickered at 48k that seems low to me. Any real world experiences?
Got a quote on a 2018 with 800 miles. Sticker of 51K. Was going to give me 36K. However, the dealer had not seen the car, so I have no clue if they put it in correctly to arrive at that value.

swapalease is generally better to trading-in a lease, esp. early on.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
It's not particularly surprising, Alfas are noted for their steep depreciation.
Hence why some of us are waiting for 30k Giulia QVs to hit lots :)

You should always try and sell privately before trading in, it's quite easy with sites like cargurus.
The 30k QV might happen someday, you just won’t know how much abuse it would have taken..... good luck

·
Registered
139 Posts
The 30k QV might happen someday, you just won’t know how much abuse it would have taken..... good luck
This is true of any used car, essentially.

I'm sure there are folks out there tracking BMW 320is every weekend, ripping the engine hard as it can go.

I'd assume by then there'd be some CPO program by FCA, so it wouldn't be an issue.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
This is why I went for a Quad. It would suck for me to be 50G in the whole 2 years later and still be jones-ing for the Quad or be braking my back building the Ti. Even with the possibility of a Coupe in the next few years, I still think keeping the Saloon will be better. The rear door are tiny and who knows if they eff up the lines on the Coupe. Never know when some upstart designer is going to try and make their mark or get attention at a show. God help us, the Quad is gorgeous as is. ;)

·
Registered
5,020 Posts
The Sky is Falling the Sky is Falling LOL

This is true of any used car, essentially.

I'm sure there are folks out there tracking BMW 320is every weekend, ripping the engine hard as it can go.

I'd assume by then there'd be some CPO program by FCA, so it wouldn't be an issue.

does anyone think it is any different for most every other brand?????
I will use one of mine as an example:

2016 BMW 340 x-drive M-Sport: Sticker was 58k I paid 52k
KBB Trade in for very good condition and 12k per year miles granted an extra year BUT I ran the for a similar 2017 and the percentages were the slightly different but not by thousands of dollars.
If I traded it in the avg was $32206 a 44% drop from the sticker...though I did not pay sticker so a 38% hit.
not sure any (mainstream, non special edition or any other exception someone will bring up)
car will not take a hit inside of 1 to 2 years...
all I will say is unfortunately for those who have experienced serious issues that cannot be corrected because of incompetent dealer service, cut your losses sorry to say that, they have a very good car here, they (Alfa/FCA) need to focus their attention on the dealer network.
best of luck to all of you facing this...:frown2:

·
Registered
437 Posts
The heck you getting trade in offers for? :surprise:
hahaha, good point. I've been going back and forth for the last several months on this.

Love my Giulia TI but, 1. wish I had a bit more power, 2. hate the dealership / support experience. 3. really hoping aftermarket picks up.

I will say my Giulia TI has done a great job at defending against the competition I've thrown at it.

This really reinforces why I purchased it to begin with. For the price point it's really really hard to beat.

·
Registered
402 Posts
This is why I went for a Quad. It would suck for me to be 50G in the whole 2 years later and still be jones-ing for the Quad or be braking my back building the Ti. Even with the possibility of a Coupe in the next few years, I still think keeping the Saloon will be better. The rear door are tiny and who knows if they eff up the lines on the Coupe. Never know when some upstart designer is going to try and make their mark or get attention at a show. God help us, the Quad is gorgeous as is. ;)
The Quad is stunning! I have a Ti, but the Quad is perfect as-is.

·
Registered
402 Posts
does anyone think it is any different for most every other brand?????
I will use one of mine as an example:

2016 BMW 340 x-drive M-Sport: Sticker was 58k I paid 52k
KBB Trade in for very good condition and 12k per year miles granted an extra year BUT I ran the for a similar 2017 and the percentages were the slightly different but not by thousands of dollars.
If I traded it in the avg was $32206 a 44% drop from the sticker...though I did not pay sticker so a 38% hit.
not sure any (mainstream, non special edition or any other exception someone will bring up)
car will not take a hit inside of 1 to 2 years...
all I will say is unfortunately for those who have experienced serious issues that cannot be corrected because of incompetent dealer service, cut your losses sorry to say that, they have a very good car here, they (Alfa/FCA) need to focus their attention on the dealer network.
best of luck to all of you facing this...:frown2:
this is spot-on. Car depreciation is huge in the first 1-2 years, that's why a 1-2 year lease costs more. You are paying for the massive depreciation. If you want to get out, try swapalease or leasetrader.

Also, how's the 340 x-drive MSport? Sounds like you got a great deal on it! Colors?

·
Registered
5,020 Posts
this is spot-on. Car depreciation is huge in the first 1-2 years, that's why a 1-2 year lease costs more. You are paying for the massive depreciation. If you want to get out, try swapalease or leasetrader.

Also, how's the 340 x-drive MSport? Sounds like you got a great deal on it! Colors?
I did get a great deal as it was the last year of scheduled maintenance included that is why I opted for a 2016. Now without the maintenance deal, BMW is like every other brand.
Glacier Silver/Black Leather w/grey piping.
Car is very good, very happy with it. My wife's car.

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
hahaha, good point. I've been going back and forth for the last several months on this.

Love my Giulia TI but, 1. wish I had a bit more power, 2. hate the dealership / support experience. 3. really hoping aftermarket picks up.

I will say my Giulia TI has done a great job at defending against the competition I've thrown at it.

This really reinforces why I purchased it to begin with. For the price point it's really really hard to beat.
My route is to mod it to say 350ish and then get a track/super stupid quick car then it's a win win (but more cost) :D

·
Registered
139 Posts
I should probably point out I meant a 30,000mi QV, and not a $30,000 QV.

Who knows what condition the latter would be in.

I've talked myself out of a Giulia TI Sport, because I definitely want 6 cylinders.
So I need to either wait for a mint QV with some decent milage on it, or maybe look at an M Sport 340i.

·
Registered
5,020 Posts
I should probably point out I meant a 30,000mi QV, and not a $30,000 QV.

Who knows what condition the latter would be in.

I've talked myself out of a Giulia TI Sport, because I definitely want 6 cylinders.
So I need to either wait for a mint QV with some decent milage on it, or maybe look at an M Sport 340i.
Having both ( a QV and 340 M-Sport) I can tell you that while the 340 is a great car...it will never be in the same league as the QV regardless of mileage....
bite the bullet and get yourself a QV if you can....
Best of luck in your hunt

·
Registered
1,307 Posts

Which dealership?

·
Registered
437 Posts
@OP, hope you don't mind this tangent, but it may serve as additional context.

Which dealership?
I don't want to throw this particular dealership under the bus per se, as I really don't think they are that far off from the general caliber of Alfa's dealer's as a whole at the moment.

I'll sum up my complaints as follows.
- I can't schedule service appointments on the website, I have to call.
- When I call, they have to check the 1 service tech's schedule to see if he's free.
- Somehow when I mention I have an Alfa, I end up having to speak to the service manager. Felt important the first time, but it gets old having to speak to the manager for basic things. Seems to me people still aren't trained enough.
- I have an occasional squeaky blower motor that's been replaced once, but still squeaking..occasionally. It's the only issue I've had but it can wear on you.
- For some reason most of my service appointments has required them to keep the car overnight. Given my dealer is 40 minutes away it's particularly annoying dealing with loaners all the time. I'd rather just work half a day from the dealership itself to avoid the back and forth.

As a lesson learned, I think the dealership experience is something that I took for granted prior to Alfa. I had multiple VW's prior to my Giulia and VW dealership/service experience is just better. I wrongly assumed most experiences would be similar to VW.

Since owning the Giulia I've had an opportunity to step into Porsche, BMW, and Mercedes dealerships and service bays. I have always found value in good service experience regardless of industry. Maybe it's unique to my area, but the German dealerships near me are pretty **** good. I'm sure I have more to learn on this.

Despite all of the above firing up my Giulia is still amazing. I'm sure many owners perhaps are having this back and forth. It can be frustrating.

One thing I've learned through this and again reflecting on the purchase. I wanted a car with personality. The Giulia certainly has that.

Notably, it came with it's own personality. While with the German cars I have been used to I was simply personalizing them. Personality vs personalization is very different concept.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts