Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
in my previous AWD cars I've had: S4 Quattro, Saab TurboX, BMW xDrive,
there was always an ESC light in the cluster that would blink every time the car lost traction on snow or ice.
I've tested my Q4 Giulia on slippery snow, wheels slip and then get a grip but nothing on the dash indicates or flashes while the car loses traction when accelerating.

Is this normal? or is my own car defecting?

Every feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
On my 360, no lights come on. You just feel the car decide independently of you. It's probably a Magneti Marelli thing and is hard coded in the modules and legacy code. Manufacturer specific in other words.

·
Registered
658 Posts
I prefer the Giulia system. If wheels are loosing traction I don’t want a little blinking light trying to get my attention. I agree it’s unusual compared to other cars but seems to be consistent with an overall philosophy of letting the driver drive with minimal distractions.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Joining the chorus here, I have had slip events with interventions but w/out any indication on the dash.
I also have a Ducati superbike which has a MM ECU and when the TC intervenes there is a light on the dash that flashes. It’s quite slick actually, many times you don’t even feel it working. You are making a turn on the gas and you see it flash a few times but it doesn’t cut out dramatically.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I have driven my QV on twisty roads (King's Mountain out of Woodside, for example) and really pushed it, in D mode with manual shifting, and actually lost traction briefly, with the back end sliding a bit, where I could feel the traction control stepping in to stabilize things...and nary an indicator on the dash.

Reactions: John_K_348

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
By not flashing the light on the dash is probably the "Italian way" to cover up the fact that the car just saved the driver from possible disaster......>:)

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,754 Posts
I wonder whether the Giulia's TC lamp only comes on when there's a fault of some kind. Snow on the way tomorrow. I'm curious to see how she performs. I guess I'll have to live without donuts.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Definitely no indicator light on dash when the traction control kicks in. Its been wet and rainy in the northwest (shocking) and I have done quite a bit of fish tailing when punching it around turns. I can feel the TC kick in to help me get straight without any hint on the dash. It makes me focus more while driving...I like it ;).

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,910 Posts
My Subaru goes "ding ding ding" when the traction control comes on. It managed to get me up a 15% grade driveway covered with snow with 2 wheels off the edge dangling in the air (its amazing what snow can cover). Perhaps a little less distracting than a warning light?

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,754 Posts
Might people also be feeling stability control acting?

·
Registered
44 Posts
In my snow testing I found that I could get a fair bit of four wheel spin while going in a straight line without TC light coming on. Try to crank the wheel and full throttle for a donut and very evident TC coming on and light flashing. Occasionally get it when really pushing it in sharp corners (off ramps).

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,910 Posts
In my snow testing I found that I could get a fair bit of four wheel spin while going in a straight line without TC light coming on. Try to crank the wheel and full throttle for a donut and very evident TC coming on and light flashing. Occasionally get it when really pushing it in sharp corners (off ramps).
So you were able to get a light to illuminate on the dashboard of your Giulia?

Perhaps there is some confusion between stability control (keeps the vehicle going in the direction it is pointed) and traction control (stops wheels from spinning)?

·
Registered
135 Posts
Tried doing some snow doughnuts today in my 2.0T Q4, got the TC light to flash a bit but couldn't break traction at all. Even had my Madness goPedal set to maximum sensitivity, manual mode in 1st gear and in D. Nada :|

·
Registered
335 Posts
Driving into my work parking lot today and had some light snow coming down. Parking lot was mostly cleared but the edges had some snow so I decided to see if I could kick out the back end. Was in natural mode, rolling about 5mph, punched the gas a little and got the back end to kick out quite easily. esc was flashing in orange on the dash. Hoping to find an empty lot that hasn't been plowed to try out some more. Q4 with no LSD.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I wish it would flash. I would like to know if I'm losing traction, or if it's the LSD I am feeling. I don't understand people who don't want the benefits of modern system capability. As long as we can defeat the systems when we want, why not have them?

1 - 20 of 47 Posts