Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

Tracking brake fluid flush OEM / Motul etc?

10K views 26 replies 9 participants last post by  NAM VET 
#1 ·
Anyone that's tracking done a flush yet? My fluid isn't more than 6 months so I don't intend changing as the spec looks impressive (HT Dot 4 etc.) but thinking i'm going to do 2 or more days a year (note i'm Novice rather than going nuts in the red class) so was wondering what people were generally doing. I have been reading on other forums some flush once a year and do 6/7 days others much more frequently.

• Stick with OEM (if so does anyone other than Alfa stock this?)
  • Go with another brand Motul 600 or whatever? What's your poison?

#2 ·
If you did not have any fade at your last event, just bleed them and change to better fluid next year as you will (hopefully) get faster by then.....:grin2:

Reactions: MDriver
#4 ·
Guess that's what I'm debating in my head. It's new, didn't have any problem so is it a waste of money for peace of mind. Either way I'm getting the car teched, found a local place that is HPDE approved so hopefully it'll be free (so I've read).

Due to the extreme circumstances along with the importance of stopping during track days, I would highly recommend a complete flush and refill with your Dot 4 fluid of choice (Motul/RBF600 or 660 is my choice). I'll take your word for it that the OEM fluid is Dot 4 which is great (didn't check manual), but I would do the flush for piece of mind. Confidence in your equipment is key on track and safe is fast.
Thanks for the Motul recommendation. How often do you so yours? Every event or periodically? Can I ask what you pay too I'm expecting around $70?

#3 ·
Due to the extreme circumstances along with the importance of stopping during track days, I would highly recommend a complete flush and refill with your Dot 4 fluid of choice (Motul/RBF600 or 660 is my choice). I'll take your word for it that the OEM fluid is Dot 4 which is great (didn't check manual), but I would do the flush for piece of mind. Confidence in your equipment is key on track and safe is fast.

#5 ·
Exactly save the $$$
If you want I'll take her out for a few hot laps for you, to test her out!
Your well being is my main interest, so I will endanger myself and check her out for you!:wink2:
BTW when you change it you should go with Castrol SRF

Reactions: FNM
#6 ·
Ahh so you're on the Castrol fence. Did you prefer it over Motul or just your pref? Thanks for the sound words, I always panic the week before lol. Do you or will you (with the QV) change every year... I know you're in a different league to me though just wondering

#7 ·
I have tried pretty much everything in my Porsche (911 and spec Boxster) racecars and I found Castrol to be the best for my needs and Driving/braking style. Although it is more expensive than the Motul, SRF for me is definitely worth it. In the racecars, I have it flushed every race weekend. In the QV and the CS, not as often as they don't get driven with the same intensity. I would bleed them between events and probably flush after 5-6 track days or so.

Reactions: FNM
#10 ·
Thanks a lot...all good info. Get out on a track with her, it's a fantastic handling car. That's from an RX7 ex owner :) I had Hawks too and loved them. In addition to the Nurburgring a few times, I've been out on Palmer in MA already, Limerock is my second track day in the US with the Q4 which is my local track.. looking forward to this. I'm 100% taking it at my pace, I'm a cautious but fun guy not the prat who goes full tank without knowing the track and right into the wall.. I've seen them! :)

I bumped into my neighbor and mechanic who reinforced I'm fine and echoed what you both said.

My 'ex' at the Ring, I do miss her

Check out my palmer vid with @BostonDMD was a cool day :D take her out dude!

https://youtu.be/lEshSHEQFZ8

Attachments

#16 ·
When you refill with the new fluid, whatever fluid is left over throw away. Never use or reuse brake fluid once it's been exposed to open air. It can quickly absorb moisture which causes deterioration in it's ability to function as a brake fluid. On the track, you want your brakes to work and work well. Always refill from a freshly opened can of fluid. I know it seems like a waste of money, but cost is not the issue; safety is. If you're down that much on fluid after a session that you need to add fluid, you were probably pretty hard on the brakes. At that point, do an entire flush and refill instead of opening a can for a partial refill.

#18 · (Edited)
Here's a link to a nice comparison:

https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/group.asp?GroupID=BRAKEFLUID

I run Prospeed RS683 brake fluid in my track car. It has the best pedal feel for the price since they have a process that removes tiny air bubbles from the fluid. Much less expensive than the castrol also.
Side question, how are the painted calipers holding up for serious track people? On other cars with brembos I've seen the paint discolor badly, especially red.

#19 ·
Update: Castrol on its way as you need 1L and there was a difference of like $10 between Motul etc after you buy a couple of bottles. I'm booked in for Tuesday with my anniversary service; they quoted me $145 for the fluid change (hours labor) which I know is stupid high but right now I'm just going to pay and shut up for this year. I'll aim to do it myself when my garage is built :)

Franz - not noticed any fade on mine or read other trackers reporting it

#22 ·
Good to shop around, but always be careful. There are a lot of counterfeit products on eBay. The fact that there are so many posts about the right grade of oil for the Giulia underscores why you don't want to get inferior or incorrect oil.

#26 ·
Hey guys..

I did 3 track days during the last 5 months. Change front pads twice.. turned the rotors once.. killed a set of P0 Corsas and changed engine oil and filter once. Thats all on only 5500 KM.

2 more track days are coming next month and i started to get worried about the brake fluid and transmission oil.. should i change them? Can i check them? I am a complete novice in terms of mechanics.

The fact the our brakes are by wire (BBW) are getting me nervous so whats your advice and what did you all do when you were in my position?

Thanks

#27 · (Edited by Moderator)
Used to track a lot, in more simple cars, and flushing brakes was easy. Now days, with complex anti-lock systems, it is a more complex procedure, often requiring cycling the anti-lock controller to fully change the fluid. The old "push and hold" or Motive bleeder systems don't get it all out.

I used the Castrol SRF back then. I took the used fluid to the county dump with an appointment, you aren't supposed to contaminate used motor oil with brake fluid.

Yesterday put cryo-treated Stop Tec rotors and Hawk pads on my daughter's turbo Mini. Did a mini-bleed on the calipers to push the pistons back in. I imagine Alfa puts in a pretty good factory fill. Concur with putting in a track suitable pad for effective repeated braking at track speeds. I think a driver can learn a lot about safer driving with track experience, not necessarily just for spirited street driving, but in emergency maneuvers in daily driving.

That said I don't intend to track my new Quad. By the way, many tracks sell 100 octane unleaded gas. At the end of my tracking, I was a nationally certified Porsche instructor. Be sure your oil temp is up before you drive your car hard. Don't make abrupt changes to your car's "attitude" on the track, don't jump on the bakes or throttle. Be smooth. Get good racing shoes, much more feel for what the pedals and car is doing. Driving gloves can help when your hands get sweaty.

I have seen a lot of cars go partly off track and then spin when they bring the out tire back on to the track asphalt. If you go off track, let the car slow way down before you come back on track.

Have fun, and all the best.....NAM VET

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.