Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Whatever you have your pressures normally set at, LOWER them by about 4-6 lbs of pressure before you go out on the track. You will gain about that much on the track due to heat, depending on the condition of the track surface and the surface temperature.

·
Registered
5,130 Posts
Whatever you have your pressures normally set at, LOWER them by about 4-6 lbs of pressure before you go out on the track. You will gain about that much on the track due to heat, depending on the condition of the track surface and the surface temperature.
was about to say that as well...will really depend on the track day conditions...
Have Fun!!>:)

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
If you are going to push the car hard, start with 8-10 psi lower then recommended.

If you are a newby, deflate them 4-5 psi from optimal.

After each session check pressures and I would guess you probably want to be around 36 psi hot.

Remember, if you don’t hear tire squeeling, you are not driving hard enough....:grin2:

Enjoy and post videos!

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,773 Posts
I received track time at M1 Concourse as a gift. I would like to drive my car there, adjust tire pressure, put on my helmet (gotta buy one), and learn while having some fun. I am not interested in driving 10/10 or pursuing the track record. Brake fluid change? Hopefully not. Trashed tires and brakes? I'd rather avoid. Tires squealing? Sure, some. Racing other cars? No thanks. Drive there and drive home? You bet.

https://m1concourse.com/event/public-open-track-day-9/

http://www.freep.com/story/news/201...fa-romeos-pack-track-m-1-concourse/387722001/

Reactions: MDriver

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well the track day came and went with me a no show due to a rainy, rainy day. Just didn't want to take the chance, no regrets here, there will be others.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I used to belong to a Time Trial club where most of the cars were driven to/from the track. We were instructed to INCREASE tire pressures to prevent tires from overheating and failing. Higher pressure also stiffens up the suspension and can be used to fine tune oversteer/understeer tendencies. This was before we had the super low profile tires of today, which have less squirm and a more stable contact patch. But any full tread tire will squirm and make heat. Squeal is the sound of squirm. Race cars running shaved or slick tires can operate with lower pressure and gain the advantage of a larger contact patch without over heating. The grip of the tire is very dependent on the temperature. Every tire has a sweet spot between too cold and too hot where the grip is at maximum. Find the pressure that gives you that sweet spot. With repeated heat cycles the sweet spot narrows as the compound ages.

Reactions: lost1750GTV

·
Registered
315 Posts
I'm going to revitalize this thread to see if anyone else has more feedback about what pressures to run. I will be doing a track night in America event in July at Charlotte motor speedway. I watched a few videos and I'm suspecting I'll be hit 150ish on the back straight. The manual starts 42psi cold front and rear for high speed driving. I guess this means that when they are hot that will be about 48psi. Do I need to keep dropping them back down to 42 or is 48 fine since 42 is the cold pressure? Anyone that tracks their cars, your feedback is appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
As luck would have it I ran the last two sessions last week up at LRP with the tire pressure monitor on screen in view of my GoPro and you can read the numbers in the videos. I run cold 36/33 and from the video I seem to recall the left side ended up around 46/42 ish after the last 20 minute session in my albeit novice hands. I’ll review the footage and check the numbers. I’m going to get some more videos up.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
I'm going to revitalize this thread to see if anyone else has more feedback about what pressures to run. I will be doing a track night in America event in July at Charlotte motor speedway. I watched a few videos and I'm suspecting I'll be hit 150ish on the back straight. The manual starts 42psi cold front and rear for high speed driving. I guess this means that when they are hot that will be about 48psi. Do I need to keep dropping them back down to 42 or is 48 fine since 42 is the cold pressure? Anyone that tracks their cars, your feedback is appreciated.
It says "high speed tire inflation pressure", doesn't say cold in that column. I believe that's the HOT pressure, when they're running. Your target psi basically, not the starting point.. at least that's my understanding.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Principles of Wheel Alignment: Ian Nicholson
Tyre Inflation
"Inflation pressure must always be checked when the tyre is cold. Even after normal driving the tyre pressure rises, due to the increase in tyre temperature. This pressure build-up is normal and air must never be bled from a tyre to reduce this increased pressure. If air is bled from a tyre it will be under-inflated.
Under inflation increases the operating temperature of a tyre through additional flexing. Since extra pressure is needed when the normal load or speed is increased, a tyre operated at normal inflation pressures [e.g. 35/32 cold for QV p. 222 of manual] under these conditions will be under inflated. This will increase the heat build-up within the tyre, thus promoting tyre failure." (pp.8-9)

It follows there will be less heat build-up and rise in pressure at the recommended 42psi.

This is not to say that 'track day pressures' ought be set at 42psi cold (that's just what the manual calls for with prolonged high speed); it's probably a good place to start though. Setting track pressures involves the use of a pyrometer to check tyre temperatures across the tread when hot. The goal being to achieve even temperatures across the tread through adjustment of pressure and camber.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts