Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking of taking my car to the track, wanted to pick y'alls brains re track insurance.

All constructive opinions and suggestions welcome!

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
I get it every time though found myself going a little higher in (15%) deductible to make it cheaper. I went with Hagerty last time. I'm one of those guys that can't stop thinking about it if I don't get it, gives me peace of mind.

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,463 Posts
Where's Steve? He works at Hagerty.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I get it every time though found myself going a little higher in (15%) deductible to make it cheaper. I went with Hagerty last time. I'm one of those guys that can't stop thinking about it if I don't get it, gives me peace of mind.
Thanks FNM, can I assume you aren't normally insured by Hagerty for your Q?

Can you give me a ballpark cost?

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
No I have some corporate deal with Liberty through my company so none of that included. I fully insure for a 50k replacement and it works out a little over 200 (want to say 220) which I think is fine. You can set any limit but it runs the same line that what can you afford to replace yourself? I naturally don't want to be liable for anything ;)

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
I'd say yes. How many miles are on your car? If you've never changed the oil in the trans or differential (which is most likely), I'd recommend doing so, including changing your brake fluid to a good DOT4 fluid. According to MacGeek all Giulias already have DOT4 so you might be okay with that, but if you have more than 10k miles on the original fluid, for a track day I'd change it just for peace of mind.

When a car is first built, there's a break-in period where all components that rub together, 'wear-in' the contacting surfaces, which means very fine shavings and metal particles get in the oils and fluids. For normal street use, it's typically not a big issue to wait until the normal first change mileage point. However for track, you're putting everything in maximum use mode, which generates a lot of heat in the engine, trans and differential. All those shavings and fine metal particles are grinding away in there. Your dealer might think you're crazy, but change the trans and diff fluid if it's still the factory original fluid. That guarantees good protection, and prevents unnecessary wear and tear on two very expensive items to replace.

Crazy as this may sound again, if you track regularly, replace those same fluids (including engine and brakes) every other track day. Oils and gear fluids don't last forever; heat is the main enemy, of which you are generating a ton on the track. GM advises to replace the differential fluid for every 6 hours of track time for their Camaros. Their high performance track models even have separate oil coolers for the trans and diff; it's that important.

I'm not trying to make you worry, just letting you know what I've learned from track experience. Best insurance is good prep and diligent oil/fluid changes, but yes by all means get track day insurance. Hopefully you won't need to use it, but if you do you'll be very glad you have it.

Another bit of advice: when you come in off the track, DO NOT put the parking brake on. Hopefully the Giulia doesn't apply it automatically even if you don't. Just put it in park. The reason is your brake rotors will be smoking hot, and putting the parking brake on can actually cause them to catch fire. If you see guys running with a fire extinguisher to spray the back wheels of their car, you'll know what happened.

Otherwise, enjoy. Drive with your brains, not your ego. You have nothing to prove; drive within your skill limits. There's no shame in pointing someone around you if they're consistently right on your tail. You're out there to have fun (and it's a kind of fun of which there's nothing else like it). On the first get-aquainted lap, note where all the corner workers are. Wave and smile at them; you want them to remember and watch for you as you come around, because they may just save your life if something goes wrong. You also want to know where they are and watch for any flags they are holding.

Just be warned; track experience is addicting. Once you get it in your blood, you'll want to go back again and again. Let us know how it goes!

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
I usually use lockton but lately have found them to be pretty pricey (2x the cost of the actual track day). I only buy insurance for proper HPDE's where other cars are involved. Most of the events I go to are time attack where its me and the track so I usually don't buy insurance for those events.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I generally get track day insurance with lockton since I'm pushing my track car harder and you never know if something might break and you have an off with the car. Certain tracks are better than others from a risk standpoint too. I won't be doing track days with my giulia but it would be a fun car to take out there

·
Registered
630 Posts
Don’t take anything to the race track that you can’t afford to push off a cliff and say goodbye to forever. So unless you can afford to throw 40 to 80 grand away, I highly recommend you get track day insurance. You may spend two or three grand a year, but it sure beats losing tens of thousands. Just don’t tell your regular auto liability insurance company as all the majors will drop you if they find out you’ve been taking it to the track, even if you have supplemental track day insurance and can prove it. They don’t care. And there is no due process or appeal for policy termination or non-renewal because it’s all in the fine print.

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,463 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Thank you all for the information; this thread alone made the price of admission to this forum worth it! I am going out for my first track day ever this Friday and was wondering about insurance and other things I would not know to think about being a newbie. Y'all rock!

·
Registered
23 Posts
What freedomgli said: if you cannot walk away from your wrecked car on the track and not look back, you need insurance. I generally track my Mini Cooper, which is cheap and "disposable" and thus, do not get insurance. When tracking my other car (now it is a Giulia) I always have insurance. I have been using Lockton and, although I never had a claim, I had two friends who crashed their cars and their claims were paid quickly and smoothly. By the way, they both crashed in Autobahn South Course, which is pretty safe; so, bad things can happen even if you are careful and the track has lots of runoff zones. Enjoy your Giulia at the track!

Reactions: PNW_Giulia_Owner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts