Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On a drive today, TPMS low pressure warning came on and highlighted the offside rear tyre in yellow. However, the indicated pressure displayed was normal and matched the other side.

I pulled over and turned the car off and on a few times. TPMS low pressure warning remained on. 50 miles later, the warning is still on.

I've double checked the pressures with a manual gauge and all are perfect. How do I reset the TPMS warning? I can't find anything in the menu system to reset TPMS.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Hi mate. At the track on Sunday my friends car (already had 6117 updates applied before delivery) showed yellow boxes in each screen. These were triggered while on the track by the tyre getting hot and causing the PSI to increase beyond whatever the system is programmed to understand as "normal". The yellow boxes remained all day even once the tyres were cold and showing more or less their nominal value (i.e. 37 front vs 35 etc). As soon as the yellow boxes appeared he also got a screen on the cluster that showed the tyre pressures each corner with yellow boxes (quite neat i thought and i wished it was there as a menu option as I use it all the time in my GT4 to know when I have enough heat in the tyre to really press on).

I will send him a message now to find out if they eventually extinguished. We speculated at the time the yellow boxes may be indicative of tyres getting OVER the programmed limit and postulated perhaps they are red when the tyres go BELOW the limit.

Not sure if any of that is helpful..

Reactions: Carmdale

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
I've read where multiple dealers have delivered cars (Giulias) with 60 pounds in the tires and no TPMS warnings.

The TPMS works best (or only) while the car is rolling and it's not that accurate. All my tires have the same air pressure yet the display thinks they are all different and it keeps changing it's mind as to which is low and which is high.

If it keeps falsing, you'll need to have your dealer look at it.

·
Registered
242 Posts
AFAIK, there is no way to manually reset or update the TPMS warnings.

Mine were at ~37psi as delivered and I bled them down to 33 as the ride was a bit harsh.
I immediately got a warning, but only on one tire.
Even after re-inflating to 35, the warning persisted for several days.
System would sometimes would show the "bad" tire at 35 psi and another at 33 with no warning on the lower tire.

Seems a bit shortsighted to not have a setting in the infotainment system to request a "reset" after warning source has been addressed.

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,954 Posts
I wonder if the OP had a TPMS unit fail?
What happens if you install wider tires and want to appropriately reduce the tire pressure? I don't think a 33 PSI threshold for a warning is appropriate. I wonder if there is a way to hack into the right control unit via the OBDII port and change the acceptable pressure range?

·
Registered
167 Posts
This is what my friend with the Giulia at the track said:

"The TPMS worked perfect in my case. All gone out and like I said could be used to get the correct pressure, at whatever temp my Tyres were at when I refilled them. Or maybe just coincidence. No more yellow boxes, and no more TPMS warnings on the instrument panel display. Sounds like he needs to reinitialise or maybe a faulty sensor? Either flatten that tyre and pump it up again, or perhaps swap wheels side to side to see if it reinitialises? From memory there is no software way to reinitialise, unlike the GT4 where you can "change Tyres" which triggers a reinitialise"

·
Registered
869 Posts
TPMS will also go off if there is a diagnostic issue. Also, most won't reset until a certain speed threshold or distance is reached. Have you you gotten it up to highway speeds since the light came on?

If it stays on get it to the dealer as many TPMS/tire warranties only go to something like 10k or even 12.5k miles.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Check the spare?

I've had a sender go out and caused this on an Audi. I've had the whole control unit go out on an Audi ($800 fix). If you've manually tested the pressures with a GOOD gauge, this is probably what it is.

·
Registered
2017 Vesuvio Grey Giulia Ti Q2
413 Posts
I had a nail in a tire and the warning system worked properly. I could see the air dropping throughout the afternoon on the car systems screen. I added air and it immediately turned off and showed the correct pressure. The next morning it was low again and the TPMS alerted me. I had the nail removed and the TPMS system warning turned off after inflating the tire.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I've read where multiple dealers have delivered cars (Giulias) with 60 pounds in the tires and no TPMS warnings.

The TPMS works best (or only) while the car is rolling and it's not that accurate. All my tires have the same air pressure yet the display thinks they are all different and it keeps changing it's mind as to which is low and which is high.

If it keeps falsing, you'll need to have your dealer look at it.
I am also one of the ones whose tires were over inflated at delivery. Mine were all in the mid 50s and there was no TPMS warning. Would anyone know what the high limit would be for the system?

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Check the spare?

I've had a sender go out and caused this on an Audi. I've had the whole control unit go out on an Audi ($800 fix). If you've manually tested the pressures with a GOOD gauge, this is probably what it is.
There is no spare to check. It's not an option and there's no place to store one. Car does not include any jack or lug wrench.

Can you say, "AAA"?

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
There is no spare to check. It's not an option and there's no place to store one. Car does not include any jack or lug wrench.

Can you say, "AAA"?
Nah, small 12v pump and a motorcycle plug kit. Will handle 90+% of issues till you can get it patched (which, incidentally, voids the speed rating).

·
Registered
203 Posts
I had this problem. Warning said one tire was low. Filled it up (was only down 1 or 2 lbs.) but the tire warning never reset. It would show the pressures as being correct, but some wheels were yellow indicating a problem. The problem moved to other wheels and then went away. This lasted for 1,000 miles. One day it went away and hasn't come back. Note to Alfa: There should be a way to manually reset the TPMS. This is how my Audi A4 works.

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,954 Posts

Can you say, "AAA"?

Racer Z,

You have 255s on your Ti, which probably should be inflated to 32 or 33 psi for best performance. What do you do about TPMS warnings if the warning is coming on when the pressure drops below 34 psi? Ignore it?

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
I had this problem. Warning said one tire was low. Filled it up (was only down 1 or 2 lbs.) but the tire warning never reset. It would show the pressures as being correct, but some wheels were yellow indicating a problem. The problem moved to other wheels and then went away. This lasted for 1,000 miles. One day it went away and hasn't come back. Note to Alfa: There should be a way to manually reset the TPMS. This is how my Audi A4 works.
Audi A4 did not have TPMS sensors in wheels, at least for B8.5 platform, B9 might be different, it calculates difference in rotation between wheels through differentials, that is why you have to set it everytime you change tires, inflate them and so on, warning also comes on only when pressure in tire is actually quite low, for example drops from 35 to 25

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Happy to report this has now corrected itself. After leaving the car overnight, when I started this morning the warning was there with last night's hot pressures displayed, but after 30 seconds of driving the warning went out as soon as the display updated with the actual cold pressures.

So it seems that simply turning the car off and on doesn't do anything, but either getting out and locking/unlocking the car, or leaving it for a period, will cause the TPMS system to re-evaluate whether a warning is due.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Racer Z,

You have 255s on your Ti, which probably should be inflated to 32 or 33 psi for best performance. What do you do about TPMS warnings if the warning is coming on when the pressure drops below 34 psi? Ignore it?
I started with the OEM pressures for the smaller tires. Then changed the pressures. I think I lowered the rears without any warnings. Later I raised the pressures to 36 psi all around. This seems to be a good pressure.

The only one time I had a warning was when one tire was actually low. That was because my wife hit a pothole and split the tire open.

When I first put the 255s on, it took about 5 or 10 miles for the car to recognize the new sensors. I knew I had correct air pressure so I ignored it. If it had not of sorted itself out, I would have gone to the dealer so they could sort it.

I did later ask my dealer about this. He said the car did exactly what it's supposed to do in the expected mileage. And, yes, they have a way to sort it easily.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Regarding my unexpected TPMS warning light - I took my car to the dealer a few days later. Wi Tech report showed stored error "RFHM (Radio Frequency Hub Module) Message STATUS_TPM1 - Erratic". Dealer is investigating.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts