Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
TPMS light came on and after adding air it stayed on showing the two drivers side wheels lit up even though the pressure was correct. The next day the light was still on but only one tire was hi lighted. Anyone experience this?

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
TPMS light came on and after adding air it stayed on showing the two drivers side wheels lit up even though the pressure was correct. The next day the light was still on but only one tire was hi lighted. Anyone experience this?
You need to be driving the car for the TPMS to actually read the tire pressure. After adding air, a trip around the block is usually enough. Sometimes it takes a few miles. If you have verified that the pressure is correct and the idiot light stays on after a few miles, you'll need to contact your dealer.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You need to be driving the car for the TPMS to actually read the tire pressure. After adding air, a trip around the block is usually enough. Sometimes it takes a few miles. If you have verified that the pressure is correct and the idiot light stays on after a few miles, you'll need to contact your dealer.
I've been driving it for 3 days. Going to the dealer for the 1 year service, T57 and NYS Inspection. I told them about it so I'll see.

Reactions: Racer Z

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
After checking the pressure with a very good gauge the sensors read 2lbs low on average.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
To my surprise the TPMS light went off after 4 days. Go figure.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
After checking the pressure with a very good gauge the sensors read 2lbs low on average.
My gauge and the TPMS never agree. In fact, I have multiple gauges that all read within 1/2 pound of each other, and each tire has the same PSI. The TPMS lists the tires as all being different, about 2-3 pound variation.

The TPMS is not to be used as an absolute, but an early warning that a tire might be loosing air.

In the 4C world, it is common knowledge that the TPMS threshold is right at the same amount as the recommended pressure. Meaning that when the pressure is even 1/4 pound low, the idiot light starts flashing. Do you think AR has ever addressed this? Do I have to answer that? I have to run the tires one pound above just to keep the TPMS quiet.

To my surprise the TPMS light went off after 4 days. Go figure.
Yup, it's an Alfa :grin2:

·
Registered
125 Posts
Had a similar issue. Make sure the tire pressures are what’s stated on the door. On mine, the front are 35psi and the rear 37psi.

I kept putting all 4 to 35psi and it wouldn’t turn off. Dealer told me and fixed!

·
Registered
787 Posts
I purchased Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ tires (Pirelli P7 rears wore down in the center running at 35psi ft 37psi rear) and wanted to run at 34 all around. TPMS light would not go off on new tires till I put in 35,37psi. Then I lowered to 34psi and lights have stayed off.

Tires were rotated and replaced at 20k, center wear is mostly from over inflation, the belief is the pressure rating on the door jab is for a fully loaded car, no pressure is given for a lightly loaded car. I have had cars in the past that gave 2 spec's for tire pressure. Watching for any signs of uneven wear.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Triggered TPMS warning will not go away until pressures are back up to full recommended. After that, you can bleed down a bit.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Triggered TPMS warning will not go away until pressures are back up to full recommended. After that, you can bleed down a bit.
You must drive the car or it won't reread the pressures. I think you have to get up to 25 mph for few minutes.

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
8,189 Posts
I purchased Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ tires (Pirelli P7 rears wore down in the center running at 35psi ft 37psi rear) and wanted to run at 34 all around. TPMS light would not go off on new tires till I put in 35,37psi. Then I lowered to 34psi and lights have stayed off.

Tires were rotated and replaced at 20k, center wear is mostly from over inflation, the belief is the pressure rating on the door jab is for a fully loaded car, no pressure is given for a lightly loaded car. I have had cars in the past that gave 2 spec's for tire pressure. Watching for any signs of uneven wear.
Similar setup and issue here, except my Pirellis were down to the wear markers on the rear at 8600 miles. Michelin A/S 3+ seem to be holding up better, with at least 1/2 of the tread remaining after 7500 miles; unclear how much of that is due to reducing the tire pressure and how much is due to the different tires.

TPMS warning with the 35/37 recommended inflation pressures seems to come on when the pressure falls below about 30/31, but once lit will not go off unless the inflation pressure is above the recommendation. The car also seems to confuse tire positions, so it may be necessary to inflate all tires to 38PSI to get the warning to promptly turn off; then just let the pressure back down to something reasonable. I found this out when I have a flat tire from a screw in the sidewall. Only 1 tire had leaked down but the TPMS showed both rear tires as low.

I've been running 33 PSI all around with 245 35ZR19 93Y tires. It still seems high compared to the TIA pressure chart for 93 load range tires. 33 PSI should be enough to carry the weight of my car, plus me, plus a little luggage with a 20% margin (a 10% margin is usually recommended). The 35/37 inflation is enough to carry the car with 800 pounds of passengers and 150 pounds of luggage with a 20% margin. Note that the narrower Pirellis are also 93 load range.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
You must drive the car or it won't reread the pressures. I think you have to get up to 25 mph for few minutes.
Sorry, thought that was understood as it was mentioned earlier. Up to 20 minutes at/over 15 mph, I believe.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Sorry, thought that was understood as it was mentioned earlier. Up to 20 minutes at/over 15 mph, I believe.
Perhaps the dealer needs to look at the car then. It sounds like the TPMS isn't working correctly.

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
8,189 Posts
Or just sitting still sometimes reads the tire pressures. Last night with my car parked in 20F weather the TPMS alarm came on as soon as I started the car, telling me that one tire was down to 30PSI. I moved the car to a 60F location (down hill, loosing ~1PSI due to the elevation change) and the next day it read 35PSI (alarm still on).

In both cases the tire pressure reading change was available as soon as I started the car.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
The Alfa TPMS is a bit particular.

1) If an alarm is triggered, it is not supposed to reset until the tire is inflated fully to expected value.

2) Trigger point seems to be about 20-25% of fully inflated value.

3) Sensors will normally sleep when stopped for a period of time, but wake pretty quickly...but they cover their ass by specifying up to 20 minutes/15 mph.

4) Sensors will correct for tire rotation, but it takes a few minutes.

5) We assume, but have not verified, that the pressure values are programmed via the dealers computer. If you were to change setup (say, to staggered from normal) and need the system reprogrammed for different pressures, it's not clear how you could do that. There's also the dealership's likely reluctance to program anything not on the drivers b-pillar sticker.

·
Registered
787 Posts
When starting on cool mornings (30 to 45f) either the passenger front or the driver rear tire (never both) will show 31psi and the rest 33 and driving sometimes takes 30 minutes or more to change even doing 65 mph. Then all tires show the same 34psi and as they heat up 36. I have checked with 2 different tire gauges before starting out and the are all the same at 33psi.
It seems these two tpms sensors are slow or car is slow to pick up there readings.

·
Premium Member
850 Posts
you need to inflate to 37 or higher to clear the TPMS, nothing else works. Summer tires are really sensitive to temperature changes. I have staggered summer tires and like them around 33-34psi. On cold nights it dips to 31 so in the morning the tpms goes on. It's a bit annoying but it's just how it works.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
you need to inflate to 37 or higher to clear the TPMS, nothing else works.
Replace “37” with the B pillar recommended inflation for your tire size and this is correct...in my case, 32 front and 35 rear.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
I've never had to over-inflate to get the TPMS alarm to reset. All I've ever had to do is set the pressures to the door jam sticker recommendation, then drive around the block. My system has never reread without driving. The pressures the system shows has no bearing on what my handheld gauge shows. And according to the system, the pressures never raise equally or top out equally, or in relation to what the cold pressures were.

About all the TPMS system is good for, is emergency notice that a tire is loosing air suddenly. And it did save our ass once. We had just enough warning to pull over and stop while doing 80 (mph).

·
Registered
3,602 Posts
I have not seen the tpms light yet but on the car info I keep an eye on things. When I wanted to avoid more bubbes in my new tires, I added a few pounds and spent some time trimming them out. Yes there is a 2 pound sensitivity thing. But I was able to see changes in the info screen after a few minutes standing still and resetting the car power button, not start.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts