Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Vulcano Black Giulia Quadrifoglio
4,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to put winter's on my qv

I've found the wheels and tires I'm going to use but want advice on whether or not I should use my existing TPMS sensors or get a dedicated set for my winter's.

I'm trying to determine if the cost of new sensors (about $260) outweigh the benefits.

Thanks

·
Registered
189 Posts
I'm going to put winter's on my qv

I've found the wheels and tires I'm going to use but want advice on whether or not I should use my existing TPMS sensors or get a dedicated set for my winter's.

I'm trying to determine if the cost of new sensors (about $260) outweigh the benefits.

Thanks
If you get new wheels, definitely go for dedicated sensors, or ignore the sensors altogether. That will allow you to simply change the wheels, without installing the tires on the wheels every time.

If you prefer to have it done by a shop and want so save some money, just get new tires and put them on the same wheels, you'll save on wheels and sensors and just pay for tire installation twice a year (cheaper for a few years).

I've done both and there are pluses and minuses to each option.

·
Registered
4,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm set on dedicated wheels and tires so I don't have to risk damaging the wheels each time but wondered about the TPMS in the hope of saving a little.

It sounds like dedicated TPMS is my best bet

·
Registered
691 Posts
I'm set on dedicated wheels and tires so I don't have to risk damaging the wheels each time but wondered about the TPMS in the hope of saving a little.

What wheel and Tire set up did you decide

·
Registered
4,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
691 Posts
Thanks!

·
Registered
4,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
189 Posts

Not clear to me how that would work, as you'd have to take both sets of tires off the wheels in order to transfer the TPMS sensors, so you still risk damaging the wheels every time the tires are mounted.

For the two cars I did this in the past (one set of wheels, two sets of tires), the tire mounting was when most of the wheel damage occurred.

·
Registered
4,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Not clear to me how that would work, as you'd have to take both sets of tires off the wheels in order to transfer the TPMS sensors, so you still risk damaging the wheels every time the tires are mounted.

For the two cars I did this in the past (one set of wheels, two sets of tires), the tire mounting was when most of the wheel damage occurred.
Yeah I think I'm going to get dictated wheels, tires, and sensors. Not worth the risk

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,715 Posts
Those tires are about 1.5" larger in diameter than the stock tires. Will they fit? Please let us know. I have been considering 245 40R19 winter tires and want a better idea if they will fit.

The extra height is certainly good for winter driving, but even if they clear you might have more trouble with the wheel wells packing with snow/ice than with a smaller diameter.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Just go with the extra sensors. I used to try and swap tires but the new parts will pay for themselves after the first season. Also think of the time and hassle. That should cover the cost easily if you are swapping them yourself. Having everything ready to go will be a blessing not a headache.

·
Registered
4,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Those tires are about 1.5" larger in diameter than the stock tires. Will they fit? Please let us know. I have been considering 245 40R19 winter tires and want a better idea if they will fit.

The extra height is certainly good for winter driving, but even if they clear you might have more trouble with the wheel wells packing with snow/ice than with a smaller diameter.
Centerline said the wheel fits 225 to 245 but 235 was the best bet.

Just go with the extra sensors. I used to try and swap tires but the new parts will pay for themselves after the first season. Also think of the time and hassle. That should cover the cost easily if you are swapping them yourself. Having everything ready to go will be a blessing not a headache.
I agree. I think dedicated sensors is the way to go

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,715 Posts
Centerline said the wheel fits 225 to 245 but 235 was the best bet.

It is not the 225 to 245 that is way off from OEM size, it is the 235 50R18

For a QV that came with 245 35R19 tires:

The OEM tire diameter is 25.8 inches
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...ewall=Blackwall&partnum=435YR90CAXL&tab=Specs

The diameter of the Blizzak WS80 235 50R18 tires that you indicated that you selected is 27.4 inches, a difference of 1.6 inches.

The WS80 is available in 245 40R18 which is 26 inch diameter and a fairly close match to the OEM diameter.
225 45R18 at 25.9 inch diameter is an even closer match if you want to go the "narrow tires are better in the snow" route (I don't believe this is true with modern studless snows under most conditions, YMMV).

The OEM 4 cylinder car comes with tires that are slightly larger diameter than the QVs, they are 26.1 inches. That indicates that there is room for a slightly larger diameter tire. However, 26.1 is a lot less than 27.4.

I intend to go with Nokian R2 tires on my car for this winter. Unfortunately that is one of the few brands that Tire Rack does not carry and thus does not compare to the others, so it is bit of guess work if they are actually better than Blizzaks.

·
Registered
4,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
lockem said:
It is not the 225 to 245 that is way off from OEM size, it is the 235 50R18

For a QV that came with 245 35R19 tires:

The OEM tire diameter is 25.8 inches
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...ewall=Blackwall&partnum=435YR90CAXL&tab=Specs

The diameter of the Blizzak WS80 235 50R18 tires that you indicated that you selected is 27.4 inches, a difference of 1.6 inches.

The WS80 is available in 245 40R18 which is 26 inch diameter and a fairly close match to the OEM diameter.
225 45R18 at 25.9 inch diameter is an even closer match if you want to go the "narrow tires are better in the snow" route (I don't believe this is true with modern studless snows under most conditions, YMMV).

The OEM 4 cylinder car comes with tires that are slightly larger diameter than the QVs, they are 26.1 inches. That indicates that there is room for a slightly larger diameter tire. However, 26.1 is a lot less than 27.4.

I intend to go with Nokian R2 tires on my car for this winter. Unfortunately that is one of the few brands that Tire Rack does not carry and thus does not compare to the others, so it is bit of guess work if they are actually better than Blizzaks.
I was also looking at the 245 and 225 but thought 235 was a good compromise.

My old fwd Honda had 215s and I was fine in the winter so after what you said I think I'm going to go with 225 then since that is the closest diameter and centerline said 225 would fit better on the wheel than 245

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
I had Blizzak‘s on a car years ago and they were pretty darn good in the snow but not so great in almost all other conditions. Maybe they are better now though. The biggest problem I had was the soft spongy compound that made them good in the snow wasn’t so great in the dry during the winter. On a cold dry January night I had to stop short when a deer ran out in front of me and I literally tore the tread off of them and flat spotted them in places. They obviously vibrated terribly after that. If you really intend to drive in snow all the time maybe they are a good choice but in NY how many days are you really driving in snow during the winter? Maybe a dozen and the worst of them you’re probably not driving at all. For that reason I’m just going with a winter tire like the Michelin Pilot Alpin’s or Pirelli Sottozero’s in OEM sizes.

When I gave it some thought all I really wanted in a winter tire was one that could be driven below 45° temps because s the stock Corsa’s can’t, good in the dry and great in the wet and competent in snow should I need it. I don’t need all out snow performance because if it’s that bad out I’m gonna be driving the QV pretty slow and carefully and if it’s really bad out not at all. That’s why I decided to not bother with going with smaller treadwidth all around like you’d do for snows, it’s only going to help a bit on real snow and hurt the handling and braking performance for the rest of the time, by far the majority of the time...

·
Registered
4,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I had Blizzak‘s on a car years ago and they were pretty darn good in the snow but not so great in almost all other conditions. Maybe they are better now though. The biggest problem I had was the soft spongy compound that made them good in the snow wasn’t so great in the dry during the winter. On a cold dry January night I had to stop short when a deer ran out in front of me and I literally tore the tread off of them and flat spotted them in places. They obviously vibrated terribly after that. If you really intend to drive in snow all the time maybe they are a good choice but in NY how many days are you really driving in snow during the winter? Maybe a dozen and the worst of them you’re probably not driving at all. For that reason I’m just going with a winter tire like the Michelin Pilot Alpin’s or Pirelli Sottozero’s in OEM sizes.

When I gave it some thought all I really wanted in a winter tire was one that could be driven below 45° temps because s the stock Corsa’s can’t, good in the dry and great in the wet and competent in snow should I need it. I don’t need all out snow performance because if it’s that bad out I’m gonna be driving the QV pretty slow and carefully and if it’s really bad out not at all. That’s why I decided to not bother with going with smaller treadwidth all around like you’d do for snows, it’s only going to help a bit on real snow and hurt the handling and braking performance for the rest of the time, by far the majority of the time...
You have an extra set of 19 wheels right?

I want something either OEM Alfa (which would be too expensive) or looks like an Alfa (what I found). Plus I think the extra tire wall is better in the winter and I'd need 18 for that

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
You have an extra set of 19 wheels right?

I want something either OEM Alfa (which would be too expensive) or looks like an Alfa (what I found). Plus I think the extra tire wall is better in the winter and I'd need 18 for that
Yeah I bought a set of the oem 19 five holes from Italy a few months back for a decent price, $1500 shipped for the set I think. Just been looking around for a good deal on tires because I’m in no rush.

·
Registered
4,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yeah I bought a set of the oem 19 five holes from Italy a few months back for a decent price, $1500 shipped for the set I think. Just been looking around for a good deal on tires because I’m in no rush.

That is a good price.

Did you use eBay or some other site?

·
Registered
691 Posts

That is a good price.

At that price gotta believe they're from the Italian seller on ebay. Problem with those is they are used and it's been a crap shoot on the amount of cosmetic issues they come with. One member spent an additional $1500 getting them refinished.

I think the 18" you found frim centerline are the best bang for the buck. If they fit, which I'm waiting for your results, then I'll probably do the same with some Michelin as/3s.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
That is a good price.

Yeah there’s a guy Fabrizio from Italy who has an eBay store Kitwheels that reasonable. Mine were brand new, not a scratch. I had them ceramic coated after I got them too...

Attachments

1 - 20 of 45 Posts