Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Decided to leave the Alfa for a year and go snow/winter wheels ( Touren TR9 blacks) and winter tires on my SUV until I get some wheels I like on the Alfa. So I bought OEM TPMS sensors for my SUV but same question for both cars... when I swap out the wheels (I intend to do a straight swap myself this time next year if the garage gets built) do the sensors typically auto sync with the car or I need some tool? If I need said tool would that work with both brands?

·
Registered
235 Posts
Decided to leave the Alfa for a year and go snow/winter wheels ( Touren TR9 blacks) and winter tires on my SUV until I get some wheels I like on the Alfa. So I bought OEM TPMS sensors for my SUV but same question for both cars... when I swap out the wheels (I intend to do a straight swap myself this time next year if the garage gets built) do the sensors typically auto sync with the car or I need some tool? If I need said tool would that work with both brands?
My experience with multiple cars.
Alfa sync sensors automatically (if those are correct ones) while driving about 2-3 mile, you can see process on infotainment page for tire pressure while driving.
For most cars you need tool to reintroduce sensor to car and it has to be done every time wheel changed.
I had to buy one to do swaps in my Volt but no longer in use.
Each tool has list of car manufacturers supported but probably you can find one which does it all.

Reactions: FNM

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
Cool thx, maybe that'll go on the xmas list too ;)
There is a winter tire/wheel thread that mentions that Jeep TPMS sensors work with the Giulias. This is what the Tire Rack specs for Giulia wheels.
In my experience, tools to program TPMS can be somewhat (many many hundreds) expensive.

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
duly noted thanks. The car i'm immediately doing is a Explorer Limited and seen there's a manual way to sync them. If that works might not need either if the Alfa does the same

·
Registered
747 Posts
Just read this little tidbit in the manual for the '17, if you replace with wheels without the sensors, after the first cycle on-off, the TPMS will deactivate! Cool...

TPMS Deactivation

The TPMS can be deactivated by
replacing all four wheel and tire
assemblies (road tires) with wheel and
tire assemblies that do not have TPMS
Sensors, such as when installing winter
wheel and tire assemblies on your
vehicle.
To deactivate the TPMS, first replace all
four wheel and tire assemblies (road
tires) with tires not equipped with Tire
Pressure Monitoring (TPM) Sensors.
Then, drive the vehicle for 20 minutes
above 15 mph (24 km/h). The TPMS will
chime, the "TPM Telltale Light" will flash
on and off for 75 seconds and then
remain on. The instrument cluster will
display the “SERVICE TPM SYSTEM”
message and then display dashes (--) in
place of the pressure values.
102 SAFETY
Beginning with the next ignition switch
cycle, the TPMS will no longer chime or
message in the instrument cluster.
Instead, dashes (--) will remain in place of
the pressure values.
To reactivate the TPMS, replace all four
wheel and tire assemblies (road tires)
with tires equipped with TPM sensors.
Then, drive the vehicle for up to
20 minutes above 15 mph (24 km/h). The
TPMS will chime, the "TPM Telltale Light"
will flash on and off for 75 seconds and
then turn off. The instrument cluster will
message and then display pressure
values in place of the dashes. On the next
ignition switch cycle the "SERVICE TPM
SYSTEM" message will no longer be
displayed, as long as no system fault
exists.

·
Premium Member
840 Posts
I got about 30miles on new TPMS sensors and no luck, still showing (--). Any ideas how to get this going?

·
Premium Member
840 Posts
Ended up being the wrong TPMS sensor ordered! I used the moparonline website which is a total shitshow. They sent me apparently the right TPMS sensor, the dealer installed it and i got screwed. Finally got the TPMS sensors replaced and within 2/3 miles everything synced.

·
Registered
501 Posts
IMO this system is superior to other types when it works correctly, all manufacturers should use something similar. Having to pay someone to reprogram the car every time you change wheels has always been a discouragement to changing wheels for me, as having to stare at the light constantly being on if you choose not to purchase an extra set also would be.

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
IMO this system is superior to other types when it works correctly, all manufacturers should use something similar. Having to pay someone to reprogram the car every time you change wheels has always been a discouragement to changing wheels for me, as having to stare at the light constantly being on if you choose not to purchase an extra set also would be.
What type of system? My tpm-less winter wheels trigger flashing light and error every time I drive it.

·
Premium Member
840 Posts
tire rack has the correct ones now. They're OEM and require no programming and honestly, might be the cheapest buy.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts