Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just installed the summer tires and wheels and now the TPMS warning light comes on consistently. I checked the pressures and they are ok. The tire pressure screen shows dashes instead of pressure numbers for all four tires. I’ve driven the car 3 times and still the light comes on.
Any ideas? Should I go to the shop that installed the tires or to a dealer? Land vehicle Vehicle Car Speedometer Gauge

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
I think they 'should' just work though I learned a few things to check when I have the same experience on my SUV this year

1. Are they brand new OEM/from the dealer TPMS sensors? Have they been checked/activated before? If not they might need to be checked (I had ONE broken one)
2. There might be a training procedure. Can get an activator potentially though there's usually a procedure which resets them. Might want to check the systems settings (might be in there) else we need @ALFATECH to tells us the special 'press this, poke that three times' code

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Get an inexpensive OBD reader so you can clear these nuisance codes. I heard you can't change the car speakers without throwing a code.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Take it back to the tire shop. Did they break, damage, or remove the sensors. Too early @ 4k miles for them to go bad.

Manual notes the warning will go away after a few start stop cycles, at least our '17 manual does. If they are not runflats and you do not mind not having the warning system working you can live with it as is.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Get an inexpensive OBD reader so you can clear these nuisance codes. I heard you can't change the car speakers without throwing a code.
I have the multiECUscan OBD tool and there's no code reported.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Take it back to the tire shop. Did they break, damage, or remove the sensors. Too early @ 4k miles for them to go bad.

Manual notes the warning will go away after a few start stop cycles, at least our '17 manual does. If they are not runflats and you do not mind not having the warning system working you can live with it as is.
The sensors came with the wheels which I got from kitwheels in Italy. This is the first time I have them on the car. I'm not sure if they're new sensors or what.

Would one bad sensor cause all the tires to show "--" on the display? It's unlikely that all are bad - unless they are the wrong ones for the car.
Can the tire shop check for functioning sensors without dismounting the tires?

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
Yeah mine did on my other car (different brand though similar issue), I had one broken one and got a generic message that there was low pressure. I took it to the dealer and they were able to run a scanner and identify the broken one. Sadly the tire has to come off if that happens. The dealer will be able to re-trigger if needed too. Not sure if there's a cheap devise out for Alfa to do this yet.

·
Premium Member
840 Posts
TPMS cannot be cleared using OBD. I have the same issue and this is with the original TPMS that came with the car. At some point, i changed them for different rims with winter tires and new TPMS from Mopar. Dealer had them configured and everything was fine. I switched to my summer setup which was the original configuration and they refuse to register and get the same issue as you.

I also contacted Alfatech and besides removing the negative terminal from the battery for 15min w/the headlinghts on, (this didn't work for me) he has no other ideas. You'll need to take this to the dealer I'm afraid.

Reactions: FNM

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Does the message appear on all screens? I wonder about this because if it's a problem every time you swap wheels, it may not make sense to mount them yourself. Or the only benefit will be not having to drive far with wheels in the car. Or, every time you swap them, you make a trip to the dealer to reset/link the sensors or scan for damaged ones. When they go bad, you still have to dismount the tire!

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
It seems that the warning lights are being triggered by the dealer to get service fees. Somewhere down the line a class action lawsuit will be started to stop this.

Reactions: RyanC883

·
Registered
658 Posts
To the OP sorry to hear about your issue and I don't have a suggestion about how to clear the warning.

I have now swapped from summer wheels to winter and back with no TPMS warnings of any sort. But I have both sets of wheels equipped with AR sensors. I got the set of TPMS for the winter wheels from a vendor who participates on the forum.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Went to Tire Rack's website to see what is noted if I make a tire and wheel package for our Giulia. It notes:

"The vehicle will automatically learn the tire pressure sensors after driving for more than ten minutes above 20 mph."

Something's afoul with the Euro sensors. Maybe they use a different frequency over there?

·
Registered
537 Posts
The sensors will reset as you drive, if the wheels and sensors are original to the car then head to the dealer.

It seems that the warning lights are being triggered by the dealer to get service fees. Somewhere down the line a class action lawsuit will be started to stop this.
This must be a joke, no?

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
The sensors will reset as you drive, if the wheels and sensors are original to the car then head to the dealer.

This must be a joke, no?
As much as some of the Alfa Service departments.

·
Registered
2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia TI Sport Q2
498 Posts
The loaner I have is doing the same thing. I have three sensors that go off out of nowhere. Maybe just crappy sensors

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Assuming the sensors are good, is it possible the system is confused because you have the other set of wheels in the near vicinity when you start the car, and it tries to establish connection with those?
That would be funny, but no. The other set of wheels is stored away.
I called the tire installation shop and they said that they can test the sensors with the wheels on the car. I didn't get a chance to stop by today, but I'll try tomorrow.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Update on my TPMS light...
I brought the car to the tire place. They confirmed that the sensors were sending a signal and they performed the reset procedure with their generic tool. They told me I had to drive it for 10 minutes and it would go off. It didn’t.

I brought the car to the dealer. They also confirmed that the sensors were sending a signal. They found a fault in the TPMS computer so they reflashed it. They took it for a drive and it didn’t reset. Then they manually programmed the sensor ids into the computer and told me to take the car and drive it. The light still didn’t go off.
I’ll have to give them a call back tomorrow. Ugh.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 59 Posts