Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Vulcano Black Giulia Quadrifoglio
4,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm NY based where a front plate is required. My dealer installed it using the driver side (left) tow hook. The dealer never gave me the tow hook cover however. Are they supposed to or does it tuck into the body of the car?
Thanks

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
I'm NY based where a front plate is required. My dealer installed it using the driver side (left) tow hook. The dealer never gave me the tow hook cover however. Are they supposed to or does it tuck into the body of the car?
Thanks
He owes you the cover.....it might actually be somewhere in the car, check all the nooks and crannies or just call the dealer

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,729 Posts
Thanks
There is no tow hook on the left side of the car, although there is a cover that looks like a tow hook cover (for symmetry?). At last check the AR front license plate mount required drilling holes in the front fascia. The cover is removed to make hole that positions the plate accurately. If that is what you have you probably are not going to want to see what is behind the plate.

·
Registered
8 Posts
There is no tow hook on the left side of the car, although there is a cover that looks like a tow hook cover (for symmetry?). At last check the AR front license plate mount required drilling holes in the front fascia. The cover is removed to make hole that positions the plate accurately. If that is what you have you probably are not going to want to see what is behind the plate.
Does the left side cover have the tail or only the right cover?

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,729 Posts
What "tail"? As delivered the left and right covers look the same. Behind the right side cover there is a threaded hole in the bumper that is intended for the tow hook that should be stored in the trunk. Behind the left side cover there is just a large plain hole in the bumper.

My garbled post above was supposed to say that the left side cover is removed during the OEM license plate installation so that the hole can be used to align the OEM license plate holder before drilling holes in the fascia.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Dealership removed the cover on my car and drilled into the bumper.

I ordered a new one through PaintedOEM Parts last month and am still waiting for it. Once it arrives I'll be able to post a review on their product, but given that it's taken almost a month to get it I'm not entirely optimistic.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I just wondered I saw some available painted but there was a plastic tail attached like it hooked to something but mine is the left side and there is nothing behind the cover except bumper, no threads or tabs at all. I suppose that one was for right side in the photo. Just checking.

·
Premium Member
2,465 Posts
Dealership removed the cover on my car and drilled into the bumper.

I ordered a new one through PaintedOEM Parts last month and am still waiting for it. Once it arrives I'll be able to post a review on their product, but given that it's taken almost a month to get it I'm not entirely optimistic.
What is the plan for the new cover?... it's not usable if the license plate frame is on the vehicle and if you take a license plate frame off the vehicle you're still going to have screw holes in the bumper...

·
Registered
260 Posts
I just wondered I saw some available painted but there was a plastic tail attached like it hooked to something but mine is the left side and there is nothing behind the cover except bumper, no threads or tabs at all. I suppose that one was for right side in the photo. Just checking.
My Giulia is a 2017 and it has the “tail” or retaining plastic piece on both the drivers side and the passenger’s side hole cover. However the hole where the tail is threaded through is off to the side and fairly small.

This is a picture of the driver’s side cover from a NAFTA (USA) car.

·
Registered
154 Posts
What is the plan for the new cover?... it's not usable if the license plate frame is on the vehicle and if you take a license plate frame off the vehicle you're still going to have screw holes in the bumper...
I actually drilled out the existing holes a little larger and used bumper plugs from HERE to fill them in. They match decently well but are still noticeable, but better looking than having 4 holes. I'll likely have a body shop fill them in at some point.

PS, I drove through arguable the largest swarm of bugs on my way into work last night... my car isn't usually this filthy.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I ordered and received the drive tow hook cover in September of last year from Painted OEM Parts. They paint the part to match you paint code, the Alfa White I order matched perfectly to the body of the car. You would never be able to tell it was not from the orginial car build.

·
Registered
8 Posts
My Giulia is a 2017 and it has the “tail” or retaining plastic piece on both the drivers side and the passenger’s side hole cover. However the hole where the tail is threaded through is off to the side and fairly small.

This is a picture of the driver’s side cover from a NAFTA (USA) car.

Thanks. If you happen to have a pic of left side as well I’m curious. That is indeed the cover though.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Got mine from Painted OEM Parts yesterday (after nearly a month wait), honestly not very impressed. It's closer to a match than I could do with a spray can obviously, but it kind of stings paying $100 for a part that's noticeably different in color.

In indirect light it's closer to a match. I want to have my license plate holes filled anyway, so I'll probably just have the whole front bumper repainted.

·
Premium Member
2,465 Posts
Got mine from Painted OEM Parts yesterday (after nearly a month wait), honestly not very impressed. It's closer to a match than I could do with a spray can obviously, but it kind of stings paying $100 for a part that's noticeably different in color.

In indirect light it's closer to a match. I want to have my license plate holes filled anyway, so I'll probably just have the whole front bumper repainted.
did you give them the paint code? That looks like the wrong red to me

·
Registered
95 Posts
Yes I paid $99 for the opart. It is expensive I agree, but perfect match. I looked on ebay as well, I was concerned none of the sellers mentioned the paint code. I paid up to have the match. They shipped the part five days after I ordered it.

·
Registered
154 Posts
did you give them the paint code? That looks like the wrong red to me
Yep, you choose from a drop down menu of colors if memory serves. If I hold it up to the car on different body panels it will blend in slightly better, and the color flakes are accurate, so part of it might just be the angle it sits in the bumper causing it to reflect differently.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts