Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is not an Alfa Romeo defect. The transportation trucking company from Strongsville to AZ used the tow hook to secure the QV on the rack. However, when he went to put the cap back he had already broken clip and us never had the problem before we said oh okay when he said “I don’t know what to do with this it just happens”. In any case we own it now. So my question and I will call parts tomorrow but I am hoping this is not a tough part to replace and it is just the cap and of course we will need to have it painted. Anyone ever have an issue with their tow caps? The problem now is that problem one fell off somewhere on my way to the store and I have searched all morning. I am devastated because right now it is a blemish on the front end. Does anyone know or have experience getting this replacement part?:frown2: I know it is going to be costly because it won’t come painted and not sure if he was real rough and we have to get a whole new mechanism. So sad. We should have called it out but honestly at the time we had other issues with the delivery and it was 12:30 am and we shamefully were tired. So our bad. It wasn’t Strongsville fault it was the trucking company.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Sorry for your stress. Would you be able to post pictures which show what happened?
Sure. The detailer was very specific to take photos of the cap when they took it off to show the hook was broken and then the photos of my front end from the day we had it would could see the caps are not flush and fitted properly. Actually both sides so they tried to take both off before we received. I was hoping it was aesthetic issue and would have time to work through it.

This is the photo the detailer took when doing the bumper film so they could prove it was pre-existing: The other pics you have to zoom in and you can see it is a little off kilter. The driver put it in so it would hold long enough for us to go away and the right cap is likely the same but it hasn’t fallen off yet.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not suitable.
Another recommendation or head to the local dealer? This is a part that they can replace is my concern. I never had bumper caps ever come off in my short years of driving (I am only 16) or okay plus a few decades or more I am not sayin. Just PM any recommendation if you don’t want to post.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
They are supplied unpainted, so you'll need to have them painted by a body shop. For guidance, the European list price for each cap is <20 Eur.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
That cap looks like it should stil secure in just fine as is, all tahtbis broken is one bent tab that doesnt secure it....problem is the bozo who used the screwdriver to force it out of the bumper (see tool marks on bumper), all it takes is a firm push on top and it pops out....have you tried to push it back, it really seems it should still stay put...it Is a bit harder to get it back in then to pop out but it would save you some stress...

·
Registered
279 Posts
The painting is the key issue - to paint even a tiny part has startup costs for a body shop. Just fix the part you have. Move the bent tab, build up another tab with some super glue and/or a piece of general plastic. Even a piece of stick on velcro trimmed to the curved shape and mounted along the edge of the part will grab the hole in the bumper when the plug is pushed in.

Was the bumper damaged by them inserting a screwdriver to pry it out? That dealer ships enough of these cars, you would think they would pop out these tow hook caps by default and put them in the glovebox in case the trucking company needs to use the tow hook.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The painting is the key issue - to paint even a tiny part has startup costs for a body shop. Just fix the part you have. Move the bent tab, build up another tab with some super glue and/or a piece of general plastic. Even a piece of stick on velcro trimmed to the curved shape and mounted along the edge of the part will grab the hole in the bumper when the plug is pushed in.

Was the bumper damaged by them inserting a screwdriver to pry it out? That dealer ships enough of these cars, you would think they would pop out these tow hook caps by default and put them in the glovebox in case the trucking company needs to use the tow hook.
The cap is gone. Somewhere along the road somewhere and my husband and I both spent hours looking for it. Not worth the risk of life and limb on the highway. Screw driver I would say someone did before it got to us because you can see (since the cap is now missing) it was pryed before we received. Remember it went from Dealer to transport to us. Not a new car shipped to a dealer lot only. It was a reship.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
I try to put everything in perspective when it comes to cars. I’m pretty anal about keeping my cars nice but you have to enjoy them too and just let things fly otherwise you’ll just be too worried about the car.

If it’s a part that can simply be snapped on and off the car I count my blessings as it’s not a big deal. If it can be bolted on and off it’s still not the end of the world. If it’s paint that needs to be fixed that certainly sucks and if it’s bodywork then that’s cause for some sadness but what can you do.

I have a spray can of RC 361 coming, actually three cans with the two base coats and a clear coat, from a supplier for another project not related to the car itself. It cost about $60. If you have your bumper plug done I’d prob buy a couple of them, $20 isn’t much, and have them painted for spares. The cost of setting up the paint is not going to cost any more for 2-3 bumper plugs compared to just one. You could do it yourself by getting your own spray cans or if you want you could mail it to me and I could paint it for you. I’m no pro painter by any means but it’s a small part and should be pretty easy. Worst case if doesn’t match and you could just have it painted by a pro. That said don’t get too crazy hung up on it matching 100% even if professionaly done. Painting plastic automotive parts is notoriously difficult to match the metal to begin with. Rosso Comp tri-coat way way more difficult than most ...

Also the tail on those bumper plugs is really really fragile and easy to break off...

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Your best option is simply to get the original bumper cap as a spare part from Alfa Romeo - as I pointed out, it is available on its own (no need to get an entire bumper), and have it painted by the dealership or at a place of your choosing.

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,754 Posts
Install a tow hook front plate mount and the whole problem disappears.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts