Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI All Giulia users.

Does any of you have the touchpad on the rotary dial of the car?

I have seen a few videos on youtube showing that option in early release QV's. But since then I have not seen that in any other car. It appears in the manual , but seems to be "you wish you had it" option.
Because really I wish I had this in my car. Would make the interaction so much faster and easier. Putting an address using the dial, moving it left and right, takes so long, that by the time you finish putting it, you are already late and missed the party.. :|

I am hoping this option will show up in future models. Like they "promised" us a upgrade to Android auto / AP. , I am still waiting for it Alfa :)

So was wondering is anyone really got this touchpad in their car??

Thanks.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have a fairly early QV(January Build), fully loaded aside from the racing seats, don't have the touchpad. I saw it mentioned in the manual but never knew it was a thing until then.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I might break that dial well before its release. Nothing worse than entering your destination in this navi. Even when you do, it generally gets you in the "area"

last week I decided to give it another shot and I was late to a meeting to (not a new address) in a well developed area because it took me to a dead-end in a neighborhood about a mile away.

·
Registered
641 Posts
The touchpad hardware is on all Giulias with the 8.8" infotainment system. However, it's still not enabled in the software. I guess it will probably be enabled in some future release.

Perhaps they determined some sort of problem exists with it to have not released it yet. Maybe the system has trouble distinguishing between someone actually attempting to write on the pad and someone touching the pad to use the dial? Pure speculation on my part, of course.

·
Registered
378 Posts
It would be nice if that pad was made of actual glass - the plastic has all sorts of small/faint light scratches (and we don't even use it as a writing pad)... Back on topic though, no ability to use it to write letters/numbers.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The touchpad hardware is on all Giulias with the 8.8" infotainment system. However, it's still not enabled in the software. I guess it will probably be enabled in some future release.

For some reason I find it hard to believe that this option will come later on, and that it is "pre-installed" waiting for an update.

The top of the knob is made from cheap plastic, and it doesn't seem to be able to have any touch input. I never tried the BMW/AUDI touch pads, but the texture on them seems completely different. So its hard for me to believe that we have this options installed, just disabled.
Do you have any official info from a dealer or anything like that?

·
Registered
573 Posts
It is interesting that when you look at the Details for the NAV package on the 2018 configuration page is show this "Navigation with available handwriting recognition and split screen capabilities."

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
For some reason I find it hard to believe that this option will come later on, and that it is "pre-installed" waiting for an update. (...) Do you have any official info from a dealer or anything like that?
I do. And not from a dealer: they're pretty clueless.

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
8,094 Posts
I've been "doodling" on that pad. I wonder whether any or all of that has been retained in memory. Maybe I need to explore purging it.

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
8,094 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
For some reason I find it hard to believe that this option will come later on, and that it is "pre-installed" waiting for an update.

The top of the knob is made from cheap plastic, and it doesn't seem to be able to have any touch input. I never tried the BMW/AUDI touch pads, but the texture on them seems completely different. So its hard for me to believe that we have this options installed, just disabled.
Do you have any official info from a dealer or anything like that?
Don't doubt the @MacGeek.

·
Registered
402 Posts
I picked up my Giulia Ti last Wed. The dealer said that it did not have the handwriting like my Audi had, but that it had the "gesture-type" controls as indicated in the manual. It does neither for me. The car also does not display the "road ice" condition symbol when the temperature is below 37. Wonder if they are related. My dealer is generally clueless. I mean, you have 2 models of cars to sell (they only have Giulia and the SUV), how they know almost NOTHING about the cars is ridiculous.

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
8,181 Posts
Voice entering for nav works, but not too well
Cool, I just tried that and got it to work once out of one try. I had no idea that would work.

No sign of any function of the touch pad here either.
OTOH, I noticed a strong tendency to brush my arm on the dial when fiddling with the shift lever. I think this has to do with the low slung center console lid. If the top of the knob was looking for touch it seems that this would get even worse.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts