Votes: 2 2.6%
  • NO and I have modified 2.0l = base or Ti

Votes: 5 6.6%
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As suggested by Chipps perhaps its time for a survey on the number of people who have experienced a total engine shutdown while driving.

When I stay stock I mean no pedal booster, no engine intake or any other changes that can affect the operation of the engine management systems. Even potentially.

2.0 is the base or Ti Giulia's and 2.9 those fortunate enough to have a Quadrifoglio.

My first attempt at a survey so if this doesn't work that's why

·
Super Moderator
1,086 Posts
Let's clarify "shutdown" --- Is this a limp mode failure whereby the motor still runs but only on reduced power?

Or, is the shutdown a complete power loss where there is zero rpm?

I've seen a couple of these threads floating around here and other forums and am curious to know if the motor completely stalls?

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Nice. The poll seems to be working and setup well. I think car mileage (kilometer) is an important factor. Please include the cars distance (miles, kilometers, etc) at the time(s) of engine shut down and any other factors you think are important.

I'm not going to vote as we barely have 300 miles on our new car. But, as of yet, not one problem.

·
Vendor
619 Posts
No shut-down but a reduced driving mode. Occurred once in 3k+.

·
Registered
226 Posts
No shut-down but a reduced driving mode. Occurred once in 3k+.

+1......Braked hard going down hill when the car in front of me stopped suddenly. No simultaneous throttle/brake - just a really hard "slam on the brakes". Car "limped" along for about 1 minute, I switched from D to A and the issue cleared.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Currently the poll is 10 & 22.
10 failures
22 successes

So far, this isn't a realistic result. We have no idea how many read this thread. Not everybody votes, self included.

What we do have that we can work with is 10 failures. ATM, we have to assume this is 10 out of 20,000 Giulias, worldwide.

That's 0.05% failure rate, or one out of 2,000. (20,000 * 0.0005 = 10) Not so sure I like the sound of that, one out of 2,000 will fail.

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,472 Posts
I don't want to jinx myself by saying "no problem". I hope I didn't just do that!

Reactions: 407Guy and arokdl

·
Registered
787 Posts
Does this include the dies after refueling?

Reactions: Racer Z

·
Registered
56 Posts
Currently the poll is 10 & 22.
10 failures
22 successes

So far, this isn't a realistic result. We have no idea how many read this thread. Not everybody votes, self included.

What we do have that we can work with is 10 failures. ATM, we have to assume this is 10 out of 20,000 Giulias, worldwide.

That's 0.05% failure rate, or one out of 2,000. (20,000 * 0.0005 = 10) Not so sure I like the sound of that, one out of 2,000 will fail.
yo

Uhmmm, I think you logic is flawed. Either we have a representative sample size here or we do not. Any other conclusion is baseless. :wink2:

Paul

·
Registered
372 Posts
No shutdown, just barely over 325 miles. Only disconcerting thing that happened was this morning - saw the temperature gage pop up when hitting start w/out foot on brake by accident. Normal "place foot on brake" popped up after. I put my foot on the brake this time, and she started up w/no problems. Turned off the car, and re-tested -same scenario - No foot on brake, hit start again and the temp gage popped up again, then the regular sign of "place foot on brake to start".... turned off, started by putting foot on brake, no problems. This was maybe after about 20 minutes of driving....

Will report back if I see anything again, - I think I glanced on the left for temperature and it was maybe 1 bar above half.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Well Chicago, that should be a sign that the electronic circuits are designed to be engaged in a certain order for safety and whatnot. Do the sequence as suggested so the computers can monitor everything properly. It may be annoying but computers are nothing more than a pile of logic circuits. That's the way it goes.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Yep, makes sense. I agree with you, but I've done that before and this was the first time I saw the temp sign pop up... Reason it was done before was because roof was popped open and I already pulled into the garage, turned her off and opened the door - so I just needed power to close the roof. When I did that, there was no temp sign that popped up. It went straight to "Press foot on Brake to turn on"... Unless my memory is wrong - my wife says it's going anyway! ;-)

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The main page of the forum says 926 total members of whom 39 (~4%) have voted. So there is definitely scope to increase the sample size which would help us all understand better how common or rare this is and perhaps ask a more targeted question.

So if you are one of the 96% please take a moment and click to vote.
Thanks

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Don't own mine yet, sorry! ;)

·
Registered
372 Posts
Okay, quick update - with the oil temp showing.... You were correct John_K_348, it's just cycling thru.. Confirmed with my wife, and went out and tried it again after work - same result, and she said she's seen it previously. The car fired right up afterwards. Everything's good - knock on wood!

Also just fyi - Temp gage is 1 spot above half consistently.

·
Registered
440 Posts
The main page of the forum says 926 total members of whom 39 (~4%) have voted. So there is definitely scope to increase the sample size which would help us all understand better how common or rare this is and perhaps ask a more targeted question.

So if you are one of the 96% please take a moment and click to vote.
Thanks
I voted by we only have 300 miles on the car (2017 Quad, stock).

1 - 20 of 75 Posts