Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
TopSpeed posted a bit on the 2017 Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio's brake system. Worth the check out if your into the technical stuff.

One of the biggest stand-outs during our week-long press loan was the brakes. However, not for a particularly good reason. Our tester came fitted with the standard Brembo brakes rather than the optional carbon ceramics. These big Brembos feature 14.2-inch front and 13.8-inch rear rotors. Both are clamped with four-piston aluminum monoblock calipers. Cross-drilled holes help keep the high-performance pads in contact with the rotor, while helping dissipate heat.

When it comes to stopping hard from speed, the Brembos work amazingly. The Quadrifoglio holds straight as an arrow with almost no nosedive. The Pirelli P Zero Corsa tires, measuring 245/35ZR19 up front and 285/30ZR19 in back, are extremely sticky and prevent squirming or skidding. The ABS only activates should there be any loose pebbles or dirt on the road surface. The possibility of experiencing fade on public roads is a joke. And with a confirmed lap time around the Nürburgring of 7:32, it’s a sure bet even the Green **** couldn’t induce the debilitating reduction in braking power. (Though admittedly, Alfa surely used the optional carbon ceramic bakes for the ‘Ring.)

However, there’s a price to pay. The Brembos are rather touchy around town. The brake pedal has a surprisingly short range of motion. A quick check with a measuring tape showed only 1.5 inches through the travel. This leads to a sensitive pedal that is hard to smoothly modulate at low speeds, especially when stuck in traffic. Despite the most careful of tries, the car produces a head-bobbing stop nearly every time. Brake feel and the ability to modulate the pedal is perfectly fine at highway speeds, however.
http://www.topspeed.com/cars/car-ne...rifoglio-quick-look-brakes-ar175409.html#main

·
Registered
28 Posts
Not too much different from my E90 335i sedan. I've had the car for almost 10 years now and I still jerk a little bit when stopping from slow speeds. 1.5 inches is incredibly short travel though. More like an on/off switch. I wonder if the travel is any different with the CCBs?

Things like this are why I won't be placing an order until I get to drive one myself.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have read conflicting articles stating the stock setup is 6-piston front/4-piston rear and 4-piston front/rear. The picture above looks like my Brembo GT 6-piston front caliper on my e92. Can anyone confirm who has seen it in real life?

·
Registered
236 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The picture above definitely looks like 6 piston as well. Which makes me now ponder as to why... if they have the picture, why in the article did they write 4 piston front and back... they posted the picture!

·
Registered
418 Posts
The picture above definitely looks like 6 piston as well. Which makes me now ponder as to why... if they have the picture, why in the article did they write 4 piston front and back... they posted the picture!
All of the information that has been in dealer training is 4 piston front/ 4 piston were standard on the QV. Now that I see that.... I bet they decided to go with 6 piston front standard and that's why brembo's are required in ordering at the moment. Hmm

·
Registered
61 Posts
The feature list posted earlier states the "High Performance" Brembo brake system is 6-piston/4-piston F/R and standard on the QV.

The "Ultra High Performance" Brembo CCM is obviously 6-piston/4-piston F/R and optional on the QV

The "standard" Brembo brake system is 4-piston/1-piston F/R and standard on the Giulia and Giulia Ti

Regardless, sounds like no matter what, if you get the QV you get 6-piston fronts and 4-piston rears which is good enough for me

·
Registered
89 Posts
The brake modulation has been a lingering concern. The two QFs I drove did not have CCB but yet I didn't walk away annoyed. I wonder if the CCBs lessen/eliminate the reviews touchiness? Can anyone with CCBs chime in?

·
Registered
94 Posts
brakes are definitely weird. seems they have a big booster and modulate the gain from the electronic pedal based on pressure, vehicle speed and pedal application speed. For example, if you are at 50 mph and apply the pedal quickly (not an emergency stop, but quickly) you have to constantly decrease pedal pressure to maintain a constant rate of deceleration, otherwise the brakes grab. If you apply them slowly, then they are more linear with more pressure giving more braking action. conversely, if you come up to a stop at 10 to 20mph you have to carefully bleed off brake pressure to keep them from grabbing at the end and jerking to a stop, but if you creep up to the stop at 4 mph, then all the boost pressure is gone and it feels like the brakes are cold. I can work with it, but it is annoying to have to constantly adjust to what the brakes think you want to do. Like i tell my wife: stop trying to guess what I am thinking!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.