Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So... in the third installment of TopGear UK Giulia Q test, the (un)predictable happened.
The car broke down and came to a stop on a motorway with a long list of error codes, shuddering engine etc.
After fixing by AR, they took it to a test track, where it threw a CEL.
So sad that the image of this car is constantly challenged by its own faults and FCA failing to address them. I don’t know what the production date of the test car was, the first article was in June issue, but the car they got from FCA had not been new.

Anyway, happy to report almost 3000 miles on mine in 4 weeks without serious issues (apart from squeaking brakes and noise/drone above 110mph).

·
Registered
580 Posts
I don't know. Our car has been fine, and since the flash update it's been perfect. This includes two major trips to some pretty hardcore enthusiast events, one of which involved some mild laps of Road America.

Does anyone else remember the Audi unintended acceleration issues in the mid to late 80's? The media jumped headfirst into that bandwagon. 60 minuets even FRAUDULENTLY rigged an Audi 5000 to dramatically accelerate without being commanded to do so, without telling the viewers that it was rigged up that way. The automotive press was all over this one resulting in Audi's sales dropping by around 75%, exactly at a time when new brands were showing up to compete with them. Coincidence?

Fast forward to today and the Alfa, which is a big threat to some well established brands. In the case of the Giulia I find it strange that the press seems to be consistently able to have these issues, which are rare in the owner's community. The vast majority of issues brought up on this site are by brand new members, who generally don't post any pictures, Vin numbers, build dates, or anything else useful. Now there were some real issues, most of which were minor, and in most cases solved by the latest flash update. I think a relatively small number of minor issues are being over represented to attack the brand.

Greg

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Fast forward to today and the Alfa, which is a big threat to some well established brands. In the case of the Giulia I find it strange that the press seems to be consistently able to have these issues, which are rare in the owner's community. The vast majority of issues brought up on this site are by brand new members, who generally don't post any pictures, Vin numbers, build dates, or anything else useful. Now there were some real issues, most of which were minor, and in most cases solved by the latest flash update. I think a relatively small number of minor issues are being over represented to attack the brand.

Greg
Well, mine has been perfect too so far.
If you read TopGear’s reviews of the Q (and they have had quite a few), they have always been very positive, so I would not accuse them of trying to harm the brand on purpose.
You know how it works, good news is no news...

·
Registered
460 Posts
"So... in the third installment of TopGear UK Giulia Q test, the (un)predictable happened. The car broke down and came to a stop on a motorway with a long list of error codes, shuddering engine etc. After fixing by AR, they took it to a test track, where it threw a CEL."

Not to say that it wouldn't be nice for the cars to be perfect, but prescinding (now there's a word for you) from all the other press reports of troubles, this does not seem like anything compared to say, GT350s predictably going into limp mode under hard driving because the customer didn't buy the Track Package (on '16s), or all '14 GT3s having to be recalled because the engines were starting on fire. Not to knock those other cars, Lord knows I'd LOVE to have either one, but there seems to be no perspective here. Alfa has some software/electronics-related (and maybe fuel pumps/injectors... maybe) issues to work through, but they seem to be doing it effectively. Yet the legacy automotive press just wants to harp on the glitches and the "Italian Reliability" angle. It's what the moronic nativist readers want I guess, but you'd still expect more journalistic integrity, wouldn't you? No wait, journalistic integrity? That's crazy talk.

Reactions: mc3456

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,474 Posts
The dreaded (or celebrated) "alternative facts"?

·
Banned
264 Posts
I don't know. Our car has been fine, and since the flash update it's been perfect. This includes two major trips to some pretty hardcore enthusiast events, one of which involved some mild laps of Road America.

Does anyone else remember the Audi unintended acceleration issues in the mid to late 80's? The media jumped headfirst into that bandwagon. 60 minuets even FRAUDULENTLY rigged an Audi 5000 to dramatically accelerate without being commanded to do so, without telling the viewers that it was rigged up that way. The automotive press was all over this one resulting in Audi's sales dropping by around 75%, exactly at a time when new brands were showing up to compete with them. Coincidence?

Greg
Dont see why you find it surprising considering many members here having issues...Who cares what their build dates and vin numbers are, the fact is they are failing...if your alleging that all these posters are fake, then they could have easily posted build dates and vin numbers, as they are relatively easy to obtain...
Cars shutting down while driving or not starting after refueling is not "minor issue"...

·
Banned
264 Posts
People care about dates because there have been TSBs and updates. We have countless threads here dedicated to both topics. Incredible that this actually needs to be explained.
Tsb's and updates are irrelevant to the posters...their cars failed...they are not here to give you data points...they are here to complain about the fact that their brand new car STALLED out while driving. Unacceptable. This specific case is even worse for alfa because apparently they "fixed" the car. You would think they would give it to a competent tech to perform all updates and check the vehicle thoroughly. Is topgear a troll too? Alfa needs to stop selling vehicles that it knows have defects.

·
Registered
84 Posts
As an owner, I just want a car that's designed, built, and maintained by an authorized dealer to the highest level of quality reasonably expected from the industry.

The Japanese and Germans, and now the Americans have set quality standards for the industry. I don't think it's unreasonable to expect a car in 2017, especially since it was introduced in Europe and other places over a year ago, to at minimum meet those expectations here in the States.

Not saying the car is deficient overall, it's beautiful and offers a great, maybe unprecedented driving feel and ride combination, but it seems to me that many are experiencing issues with this vehicle that the owners of other modern vehicles don't generally experience.

All of us have probably owned other modern vehicles. My spouse of 27 years and I have owned almost two dozen new vehicles between us. We're not going to be told and believe that it's commonplace or acceptable for a modern vehicle to stall when relatively new. Nor do we believe that unpredictable and marked hesitation after throttle input is commonplace. It's not, at least not with modern vehicles.

I'm sure some folks could state their vehicle is issue-free.

Some of these folks may not have owned their vehicles very long (some of my car's issues were discovered after a couple of months or seem to be a byproduct of a recent dealer-installed RRT).

Alternatively, some of these folks could simply have a higher tolerance for issues related to their vehicles.

I'm sure there are some vehicles that are truly issue-free.

Then, some of the other posters who state they don't have any issues after thousands of miles could just be "stirring up a hornets' nest" by being less than truthful (not accusing any particular person, but this is the Internet). Also, some folks could be PAID individuals whose job it is to increase the desirability of the model or make on social media.

I take with a grain of salt, for example, claims of several thousand miles without a single issue, based on my experience with my vehicle, my experience with a loaner, and the number and scope of RRT's already issued and reissued for the model.

Having said all that, with or without details regarding problems, and with or without details regarding accolades for the car, I really enjoy this forum and find it helpful...and I still love my car!

·
Registered
28 Posts
The fact that owners of new Giulias have to resort to forums discussing build dates, software upgrades and trial and error repairs just to get their enignes to run reliably is unacceptable for a modern vehicle. I'm a big lover of Alfa Romeo. I've been waiting years for a new Alfa sedan to come to the States. Based on all I've read in the media and forums such as this, however, I'm going to have to wait a while longer.

·
Registered
580 Posts
The purpose of discussing build dates and software updates is to help fellow owners. If the problem is specific to cars built in a certain month, that's good information for members to have. If the car hasn't had the latest software update, yes that's Alfa's fault, but it's also really good information to have. Just saying that your car stalled, but not providing any info doesn't help anyone, and I doubt it's going to get your car fixed any sooner.

I am not saying that all of these people who have complained about issues are trolls. I do think some of them are. A lot of them joined the forum, made a first post that's very negative and don't even own a Giulia. That's very weird, I don't go over to BMW forums to complain about a car I don't own and am not planning to buy soon.

Greg

·
Registered
84 Posts
I agree that the more information a post has, the more helpful (and possibly credible) it is. Built date, model, software version, and specific details of issues are important pieces of information.

However, a simple statement of an issue with more limited information, while not as helpful, is also a data point.

Just my two cents...

P.S. There are probably untruthful posters on both ends of the "Pro/Con Alfa" scale on this forum. I tend to believe the ones in the middle myself...

·
Registered
372 Posts
Don't forget Tesla! They've had so much negative flack - it's amazing when they first came out, there was the whole "never gonna succeed", then they started to actually do something, and now everyone's scared of them/starting to join in on the electric movement. They've done fantastic with the network of chargers, and still moving forward - definitely a great company, but not without their share of haters.

·
Banned
264 Posts
Yes, one story from 1986.....yay...you will do anything to deny its a problem. Lots of folks here with issues, that you cannot deny...reliability is a big problem for this car. More troubling is alfa's failure to have dealers install updates before the sale of the car. They are knowingly selling cars with defects. Love the car but extremely thankful I leased it...the residuals are going to be in the toilet.

·
Banned
264 Posts
I am not saying that all of these people who have complained about issues are trolls. I do think some of them are. A lot of them joined the forum, made a first post that's very negative and don't even own a Giulia. That's very weird, I don't go over to BMW forums to complain about a car I don't own and am not planning to buy soon.

Greg
What are you talking about??? We are not discussing random negative posts...but rather posts about serious failures, including stalling while driving and failure to start after a fuel fill, by owners. Could it be that you simply dont like the negative comments because it will hurt your sales? hmmmm.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Yes, one story from 1986.....
Nope, not just one story. As someone else mentioned, Top Gear, who you pointed out wrote about a Giulia failure, was caught faking a breakdown with a Tesla. This happens in the press all the time, and for every time they get caught red handed, how many times do you think they get away with it?

you will do anything to deny its a problem. Lots of folks here with issues, that you cannot deny...reliability is a big problem for this car. More troubling is alfa's failure to have dealers install updates before the sale of the car. They are knowingly selling cars with defects. Love the car but extremely thankful I leased it...the residuals are going to be in the toilet.
I think if you read what I wrote more carefully, you will see that I haven't denied that there is a problem, and I certainly wouldn't do "anything" to deny it. We agree Alfa should have installed the updates before selling the car. I said in an earlier post on this thread that I think that's Alfas fault for failing to insure that gets done. My point is that the problems have been greatly exaggerated.

Greg

1 - 20 of 96 Posts