Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
21 - 40 of 76 Posts

· Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
10,007 Posts
More power and slower?
Crazy how that happens. HP/TQ numbers don't tell the whole story.
All but guaranteed to confuse potential customers.
Hardly scientific but I was in Turin last month and saw 3 in an hour of walking around. Given it is 'home turf' then maybe they were all Alfa exec's out for lunch. Who knows.
Aren’t all Alfa execs out to lunch? And aren’t most of them in Arese? I’ve only seen two around Stellantis’s North American ‘home turf’.

· Registered
10,007 Posts
Pretty shocking how much people are willing to pay for these compact crossovers. These cost as much as Giulias, a world-class sport sedan.

Goes to show how little people care about what we value. To the masses the Tonale is the more desirable product.
SUVs are the new opium of the people.

· Registered
892 Posts
They go to IKEA twice a year and justify the terrible handling, gas, ugliness. All while crying climate change.
I do think one SUV is always needed in a household. They're more useful and comfortable for family duties, groceries, etc. But growing up we always had one sport sedan in the garage too. Nowadays people are putting two SUVs under one garage and I can't fathom why.

· Registered
5,715 Posts
I do think one SUV is always needed in a household. They're more useful and comfortable for family duties, groceries, etc. But growing up we always had one sport sedan in the garage too. Nowadays people are putting two SUVs under one garage and I can't fathom why.
I hear ya. I’ve always owned real trucks. And when they started making platinum trim levels that are loaded just like an SUV I just never understood the need for an SUV when a truck is same price, can actually drive in snow, safer and holds way more cargo.

· Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
IMHO they did a mess with the Tonale in the US. OK, they were scared it would be a flop and they created a the Dodge cheaper clone...but it's so sad.
It's a best seller in Europe meawhile
I agree 1000%. The sad thing is that in playing it safe they may have messed up the one vehicle that could have been the best seller of the siblings in the US.

· Registered
636 Posts
All but guaranteed to confuse potential customers.
Aren’t all Alfa execs out to lunch? And aren’t most of them in Arese? I’ve only seen two around Stellantis’s North American ‘home turf’.
They are in Mirafiori these days. Also home of the Heritage Hub which is well worth a visit but you need to book it. Of course not as good as Arese but do both...

Cloud Sky Building Plant Tree

· Registered
2018 Ti Sport Q2
1,840 Posts
The upside to selling a lot of Tonales is revenue & profits for Alfa.
The downside to selling a lot of rebadged Fiat/Jeep/Peugeot vehicles, is that the message it sends to management is to continue making such vehicles (as opposed to 'purpose built' vehicles like Giulia & Stelvio).

I'm happy for the customers who choose to buy the Tonale, and for Alfa to profit from it, but disappointed because i'm not even the least bit interested in buying/driving/owning such vehicles.

IMHO

· Registered
Giulia Veloce Q4 w/ Ragazzon Exhaust
72 Posts
The downside to selling a lot of rebadged Fiat/Jeep/Peugeot vehicles, is that the message it sends to management is to continue making such vehicles (as opposed to 'purpose built' vehicles like Giulia & Stelvio).

I'm happy for the customers who choose to buy the Tonale, and for Alfa to profit from it, but disappointed because i'm not even the least bit interested in buying/driving/owning such vehicles.

IMHO
I believe it's becoming more and more difficult for the car makers to produce something "unique". This requires high investments whose return probably won't match the expectations. Unless you are Ferrari.
Look what happened in the VW group. All the cars are the same. Same frame, same engine. Even Lamborghini is basically an Audi. Scaling means higher margins and this is what the car makers want.

· Registered
10,007 Posts
They are in Mirafiori these days. Also home of the Heritage Hub which is well worth a visit but you need to book it. Of course not as good as Arese but do both...

View attachment 137849
Meanwhile, on this side of the pond...
Automotive parking light Wheel Tire Vehicle Car

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Hood

Was I invading their space? Apologies for the thumb.

I'm happy for the customers who choose to buy the Tonale, and for Alfa to profit from it, but disappointed because I'm not even the least bit interested in buying/driving/owning such vehicles.
I wonder how much profit Alfa Romeo will derive from Hornet sales.

• Love
Reactions: ilMilanese

· Registered
1,131 Posts
We've completely derailed this thread now, but just look at how the SUV turned Porsche from near-bankruptcy in the 90's to the automotive powerhouse that it is today. I'm not saying Alfa can achieve the same level of success as Porsche, but in this day and age the SUV is one of the two necessary evil for any car brand, even ones with a strong sporting heritage. (The other one being some sort of EV commitment if not yet an outright product.)

Reactions: C.Q4
21 - 40 of 76 Posts