Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought we did not have AEB. Today I experienced the car coming to a hault automatically. Scenario was the following

Car ahead of me braking (I was aware and I was slowing down), car to the right of me was slow and I had my signal to the right of me and he was going forward I was going to hop lanes and go to the right as to avoid
the car in front of me slowing down.

As I press the brake pedal slow all of a sudden I get massive warnings on the dash as well as the car coming to a screeching hault. Did the car think I was trying to go to the right where it had blind spot monitoring turned on and detected a car to the right and in front and decided the best scenario is stopping ?

Or something is weird lol.

·
Registered
576 Posts
I thought we did not have AEB. Today I experienced the car coming to a hault automatically. Scenario was the following

Car ahead of me braking (I was aware and I was slowing down), car to the right of me was slow and I had my signal to the right of me and he was going forward I was going to hop lanes and go to the right as to avoid

As I press the brake pedal slow all of a sudden I get massive warnings on the dash as well as the car coming to a screeching hault. Did the car think I was trying to go to the right where it had blind spot monitoring turned on and detected a car to the right and in front and decided the best scenario is stopping ?

Hence, why I will never own an autonomous car. Some tech is great, too much is just...too much.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
kanundrum, I've been curious about your sig line. Does it have anything to do with this, from the famous Steve McQueen movie, Le Mans?

"Michael Delaney: Lotta people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting." -IMDB

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
kanundrum, I've been curious about your sig line. Does it have anything to do with this, from the famous Steve McQueen movie, Le Mans?

"Michael Delaney: Lotta people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting." -IMDB
Similar aspects and meanings and I love me some Steve Mcqueen but it is actually from one of our SCCA old school presidents. Just a quote that stuck with me really :)

·
Registered
103 Posts

Auto braking sometime can give u heart attack :laugh:
I was driving a brand new Nissan back in my country last Christmas and I thought I scraped the car along the low barrier, turned out was auto braking.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I had similar experience on my Ti with the "passive driver assist package". Car in front was slowing to turn right into a driveway. I take my foot off the gas and I'm ready to brake if he stops suddenly. At about 30 ft. the alarm comes on (loud) and I think the brakes applied momentarily but it happened so fast I couldn't tell for sure.

I didn't think a "passive assist" would include automatic braking. Anyone know for sure?

·
Registered
20 Posts
I had a similar thing happen. I was approaching a light with a string of cars stopped. I didn't slow down much because I wanted to duck into the left turn lane which had plenty of dedicated lane available when the alarm sounded and the brakes came on hard. Is there a setting for defeating this intrusive feature?

·
Super Moderator
1,086 Posts
I turned off the "auto-braking" in the menu while keeping the audible alert active.

My thought is that I've never hit anything I did not intend to hit and I've never been rear-ended. The auto-braking can do just that.. cause an abrupt emergency stop of the car. Sure, your car did not hit what is directly ahead. But, in doing so, the possibility exists that your car just created a very bad situation for the person directly behind you. The vehicle to the rear is probably in a panic stop as well. Do they rear-end the auto-braked car? Is the rearward car even paying attention?

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
These kind of situations are exactly why this feature is switched off on my car.....it can create potentially horrendous situation from something that was completely under control....what worries me is that many soccer moms nowadays rely on this feature so they can text 'safely"

I have sound warning on and it just confirms that brakes would go crazy on so many occasions so far in the short time I own this car if I had auto braking enabled...

I actually wonder how many more accidents are caused by this in heavy metro driving....DC beltway for example is almost like a nascar racetrack....5 lanes of people cutting you off, tailgating at 80 mph, changing 4 lanes 200 feet before their exit etc.... this could cause a mayhem when speeds are a bit higher in still dense traffic

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
These kind of situations are exactly why this feature is switched off on my car.....it can create potentially horrendous situation from something that was completely under control....what worries me is that many soccer moms nowadays rely on this feature so they can text 'safely"

I have sound warning on and it just confirms that brakes would go crazy on so many occasions so far in the short time I own this car if I had auto braking enabled...

I actually wonder how many more accidents are caused by this in heavy metro driving....DC beltway for example is almost like a nascar racetrack....5 lanes of people cutting you off, tailgating at 80 mph, changing 4 lanes 200 feet before their exit etc.... this could cause a mayhem when speeds are a bit higher in still dense traffic
haha this happened on 295.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
haha this happened on 295.
lol, yeah 295 can be even worse....that's one funny hwy....if you want to follow it you have to be in left lanes then in right lanes then in left lanes then .....then they wonder why it is so congested all the time lolz....some hood rat around Anacostia would be in for a great surprise when Giulia all by herself decided to hit the brakes full on while he tailgates me in his Chrysler 300 with 47 inch rims:)

·
Registered
526 Posts
Auto braking does have some great benefits though, my mom would still be driving if she'd had it on the 2 cars she wrecked. Well maybe that's not a good example because it turns out she has Alzheimers and didn't need to be driving anyway.
My dad that's sharp as a tack and a very good driver at 85 has had his reflexes slowed somewhat said his next car will have auto braking just in case.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts