Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well Im in love still with Giulia and I want to keep her well cleaned and protected. I'm considering a Ceramic coating and getting prices from $800 to $2400 CDN for the application.

Is it worth it? Any brands to stay away from?

Or is just a good annual wax with a good product all that's needed.

Thoughts / comments.

·
Registered
483 Posts
I'm thinking of using Gyeon to DIY, or maybe Sonax. I think a synthetic wax (3m others) is probably good enough - if I owned I would do ceramic, but on a lease....

Reactions: mc3456

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
up to you really and your driving conditions. I won't be doing it personally as mine is not on the highway every day sucking up debris so what I'd say is think about how you drive it / the conditions and assess if it's worth it. I also didn't like the thought of running back and forth if you get a scrape to have it re-done...or the lines on the XPEL :) There's plenty that do have it though.

I use the Wolfgang Sealant every few months. Like that stuff

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,737 Posts
Xpel and ceramic coatings are different solutions to different problems. I had both installed since they complement each other.

Xpel protects against minor impacts and scratches. It slightly dulls the appearance of the paint. It has a finite life expectancy due to UV degradation; I should get my act together soon and get a decent car cover which should extend the life expectancy of the film.

Ceramic coatings protect against chemical damage such as bird droppings, bug splatter and overspray from yard care, house painting, agricultural activities, etc. Ceramic coatings also give the car a long lasting just-waxed like sheen. It provides minimal protection against impacts or scratches. Although it lasts longer than wax because it is harder, it does wear off with time.

I have ceramic pro "gold" which with an annual refresh of the top coat is supposed to last indefinitely. Of course it will actually only last as long as the Xpel that is underneath it lasts.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I have xpel on the whole front end, rockers and front fenders, plus did a ceramic over top of everything. While it isn't cheap, I feel more confident that I'll remain chip free on the front and the dirt will wash away much easier. Also did the wheels in ceramic

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
I have xpel on the whole front end, rockers and front fenders, plus did a ceramic over top of everything. While it isn't cheap, I feel more confident that I'll remain chip free on the front and the dirt will wash away much easier. Also did the wheels in ceramic
I did the same thing.

·
Registered
2019 Stelvio, Sport, Vesuvio Grey on Red
50 Posts
I looked into ceramic coating and found a very reputable local guy who does it. He quoted $700 to do the entire car, including glass and windows. I lease the car, but I would still like to do it. I want the car looking good with minimal effort.

But, he said he would need the car for 2 to 2 and a half days! Said that in order to do it correctly, it requires appropriate drying/curing time for all the steps.

Has anyone else heard it takes this long to do it?

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Same here. The ceramic coating seems to make the xpel is little more paint like. You can’t really tell the front of the car is filmed at all. It makes it easy to just rinse most stuff off, especially the wheels/calipers. Also keep in mind most reputable shops charge a fair chuck of change for the paint prep before they actually apply film and or ceramic coatings. That’s where all the real labor is; the actual coating doesn’t take that long unless it’s something like cQuartz pro which requires curing under lamps. Getting your car done when new is more likely to be cheaper than after after it’s been driven a while.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
I looked into ceramic coating and found a very reputable local guy who does it. He quoted $700 to do the entire car, including glass and windows. I lease the car, but I would still like to do it. I want the car looking good with minimal effort.

But, he said he would need the car for 2 to 2 and a half days! Said that in order to do it correctly, it requires appropriate drying/curing time for all the steps.

I had xpel and cQuartz pro done and it was basically 3 days at the detailer. Different coatings have different procedures but the first day is probably just some form of paint correction and polishing and the second day the actual coating application with some time cure afterwards...

·
Registered
321 Posts
have the x-pel wrap and getting coating done on monday at my house. no interior i told him to concentrate on the outside and he said that my car need very little prep because i have kept it so clean :). so saved on paint correction.

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,737 Posts

Compared to my ceramic pro gold (4 coats) installation that is fast and inexpensive. Perhaps that is for a single coat (lasts 1-2 years)?

Ceramic Pro has a ready-to-drive cure time of 2-3 days, but a full cure time of 1 month. During the time between the car needs to be protected from nasty stuff like lawn sprinkler over spray and bird mess. Garaging the vehicle is recommended (I did not do that).

·
Registered
460 Posts
My worry about ceramic coating is that it has a life, supposedly, and when it has to be removed it has to be removed mechanically, i.e., through abrasion (so I've been led to understand). That being the case, what happens to ceramic coating at the end of its life? Does is craze, turn hazy, what? And if it does ultimately degrade, is the only way to get your paint sheen back to original to abrade what's left of the ceramic?

Appreciate any insight as for the time being I'm sticking with the Wofgang sealant route (with clear film from the a-pillar forward) but would like to do ceramic if there is no risk, at the very least for the wheels.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Ceramic cQuartz

I have no idea about this stuff but from the reviews the coating my husband was most interested in (Modesto) was not offered in AZ. We looked at Ceramic Pro and cQuartz professional and I considered DIY. We own our car and plan on keeping her. We bought her as a 2017 and is Rosso Comp. Just got her so she was sitting on the lot for a long time (fortunately not AZ sun) but still she was washed I am sure although carefully by the dealer the detailer is meticulous and yeh you could see swirls. From what I understand it is in the art of the prep work that is where the big cost is and of course the quality of the product. Not something i was willing to DIY for the QV. We have some other work to get done first and then she will get cQuartz Pro. We will take pictures after she is done. Won't be for a few weeks.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
My worry about ceramic coating is that it has a life, supposedly, and when it has to be removed it has to be removed mechanically, i.e., through abrasion (so I've been led to understand). That being the case, what happens to ceramic coating at the end of its life? Does is craze, turn hazy, what? And if it does ultimately degrade, is the only way to get your paint sheen back to original to abrade what's left of the ceramic?

Appreciate any insight as for the time being I'm sticking with the Wofgang sealant route (with clear film from the a-pillar forward) but would like to do ceramic if there is no risk, at the very least for the wheels.
I had the same question. I didn't like the idea of getting wrapped up in a cycle. For cQuartz pro there is a refresh. The abrasive removal can be as simple as claying the car hence why you can't clay a car that has a ceramic coat. Someone more familiar can correct me but that is the way i took the response from the detailer. After a few years you can bet the car detailed (polish) again just do a good wax and not ceramic.

·
Registered
857 Posts
I thought long and hard about ceramic and so far have not done it. I have had my car less than 2 weeks and I just applied the first wax to it and it shines really well but I suppose it may be short-lived. I used Collinite #845 as it seemed to have good reviews for a wax. That stuff is more of a paste than a liquid.

·
Registered
641 Posts
I have no idea about this stuff but from the reviews the coating my husband was most interested in (Modesto) was not offered in AZ. We looked at Ceramic Pro and cQuartz professional and I considered DIY. We own our car and plan on keeping her. We bought her as a 2017 and is Rosso Comp. Just got her so she was sitting on the lot for a long time (fortunately not AZ sun) but still she was washed I am sure although carefully by the dealer the detailer is meticulous and yeh you could see swirls. From what I understand it is in the art of the prep work that is where the big cost is and of course the quality of the product. Not something i was willing to DIY for the QV. We have some other work to get done first and then she will get cQuartz Pro. We will take pictures after she is done. Won't be for a few weeks.
I'm glad I had my CeramicPro treatment last year. I love how easy it is to wash (although you do need to follow guidelines - lots of YouTube videos) and keep clean. Hose off (with some pressure) the wheels and they are 90% clean of brake dust. Here's a couple of pics of my Quad right after it was done.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
I'm glad I had my CeramicPro treatment last year. I love how easy it is to wash (although you do need to follow guidelines - lots of YouTube videos) and keep clean. Hose off (with some pressure) the wheels and they are 90% clean of brake dust. Here's a couple of pics of my Quad right after it was done.
Your QV looks gorgeous. We are going with the cQuartz pro. I think they are pretty comparable products. Looked at more the "who" was doing the work (since prep and application) are extremely important but it looks like a nice shop did it and dust free. Did you do a full front end vinyl or a portion? As I look at the slope on the QV it looks like something could easily land just above the partial line on the hood. In any case I hope our QV looks as stunning. Was it mirror perfect no microscopic swirls remaining?

·
Registered
54 Posts

My car has Xpel Ultimate on the full front end and the rockers plus some other high impact areas and CquartzPro ceramic coating applied over the whole car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
693 Posts
I got the Optimum Opticoat Pro. It ran about $900 and was a 1 1/2 day process. I like it because I'm bad at waxing and this offers good, long-term protection for the paint. It also makes washing the car a lot easier, especially if you use the rinseless method. I use the Optimum rinseless wash using a sheepskin mitt and waffle weave drying cloths which give very nice results.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts