Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I’ve been struggling with this for a while and figured I’d try and gather some other opinions.

My 2018 Ti Sport Lease is up in February. I currently have ~34k trouble free (beyond a door panel warranty replacement) miles in a near fully loaded spec just missing the performance pack (I wanted it but couldn’t find it at the time) I love the car and am the middle of a cross country road trip the last several thousand miles have been epic and recent. I will be over the allotted lease mileage a bit as well.

The options:
  1. Buy out the car post lease + add a JB4 to increase power
  2. Trade in for a new 21 or 22 Ti Sport / Veloce
  3. Buy the car sell it and buy a used QV and add an extended warranty.
    • I want the Giulia QV but will be living in the mountains this winter and was thinking Stelvio QV (I’ve test drove both and have driven a ‘20 Stelvio 2.0 a good amount as well)
    • The ultimate goal will be to buy a Giulia QV once I’m settled a bit more. I anticipate selling the Stelvio Quad as soon as i have a new home base if I go this direction.
I’m relatively new to leasing / buying cars so don’t know what’s most advantageous in this situation. Also I’m well aware the used car market is insane right now so may just avoid it and keep the car.

·
Registered
2019 Giulia Q4 Ti Sport, Misano Blue / Tan
347 Posts
Take a look at pricing. From what I’ve understood, the amount you gain in current market selling your used Giulia 2.0T is going to be significantly less than the price jump that QV models have gotten.

Personally I would never buy a luxury car that I know I’m planning to resell in a year or two. Especially in such a hectic market like today.

If I were you, I’d buy out the 2.0T, drive for a bit (hold off on mods), and once you’re settled sell it outright as a down payment for your QV Giulia. :)

·
Registered
'20 Ti-Sport Carbon Q4 Rosso Comp
674 Posts
1. get offer from Carvana, Carmax, Vroom, etc for instant cash offer. compare with your buyout price.
if buyout price is higher than instant offer, get rid of it and let the bank take the hit.
if buyout price is lower than instant offer, move to #2 or #3

2. get a quote for new lease on remaining '21 & new '22. i've heard mixed things that some says they still offer incentive
while others say they offer zero incentive due to current market condition.
if the new deal is shitty and cost more than your current monthly pay, then keep the car.
if the new deal is cheaper than your current monthly cost, consider new car.

3. search and see how much your expense might be on used qv. qv prices went up even for used ones
you might be getting screwed on trade-in and overpaying for qv.

i went from 2018 to 2020 cuz it was cheaper to get 2020 with higher MSRP than buyout fyi

·
Registered
424 Posts
1. get offer from Carvana, Carmax, Vroom, etc for instant cash offer. compare with your buyout price.
if buyout price is higher than instant offer, get rid of it and let the bank take the hit.
if buyout price is lower than instant offer, move to #2 or #3

2. get a quote for new lease on remaining '21 & new '22. i've heard mixed things that some says they still offer incentive
while others say they offer zero incentive due to current market condition.
if the new deal is shitty and cost more than your current monthly pay, then keep the car.
if the new deal is cheaper than your current monthly cost, consider new car.

3. search and see how much your expense might be on used qv. qv prices went up even for used ones
you might be getting screwed on trade-in and overpaying for qv.

i went from 2018 to 2020 cuz it was cheaper to get 2020 with higher MSRP than buyout fyi
If he can in any way figure out how to move from a TI to a QV without his cost going up I would love to see that magic. I agree with your approach but just not number 2. The QV is going to be more expensive I do not care how you slice it up.

·
Registered
'20 Ti-Sport Carbon Q4 Rosso Comp
674 Posts
If he can in any way figure out how to move from a TI to a QV without his cost going up I would love to see that magic. I agree with your approach but just not number 2. The QV is going to be more expensive I do not care how you slice it up.
pre-pandamic/chip shortage, you could get 15k off msrp or more,
for lightly used QV, with low miles at $50k or below.
now it's gone up crazy in value.
there is no magic that u can make your expense to match from Ti to QV.
i'm saying consider your gain on the Ti vs overpaying QV to see if it's worth it at current pricing.
if he's intention is to settledown in few years, i'd suggest wait and buy when prices normalize

1 - 5 of 5 Posts