Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the titanium exhaust systems are insanely expensive(around $10K). Has anyone purchased the parts and fabricated or paid someone to fabricate a Titanium exhaust system? I know there are several stainless options out there but I have always preferred the look and sound if titanium pipes. I would more than likely get parts from "tycon industries" Any ideas?

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,715 Posts
I see the parts available online. The skill and equipment to weld it is relatively rare. It is my understanding that the tubing is too thin to bend so it is necessary to weld a bunch of angle cut sections together. Since those sections are available for sale, I am going to guess that the tubing is also too thin to cut on a standard metal saw and probably needs to be abrasively cut on a low speed cutter (too much heat and you need the inert gas or the metal is ruined).

Besides the weld in progress needing to be only exposed to vacuum or inert gas on both sides (Nitrogen, Oxygen and any kind of grease or oil will all spoil the weld) the material is thin and poses the associated welding challenges.

Obviously these are all challenges that can be overcome. $10k is a bit excessive, but I expect that DIY or custom will be more. TiTech sells Lambo Titanium exhaust systems for $7k, I think their most expensive exhaust kit (their Porsche kit is similarly priced, both of these vehicles have a huge number of bends in the pipes). A WRX system is a reasonable $3k. However, TiTech does not make anything for Giulia. The trick is to convince a manufacturer that they can sell more than 2 of them and at this point I don't see such support in the forums. Maybe a group buy of 10 systems would get some manufacturer's attention, I do not know. Of course that would have to be all QV or all 2.0T.

·
Registered
‘19 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,887 Posts
Hmm, I never thought about Ti sounding different...

Reactions: Rolex

·
Registered
630 Posts
I would more than likely get parts from "tycon industries" Any ideas?
If you're welding it yourself then you don't need advice as you're an expert already. If you're having it built by a professional welder then you don't need to worry about where they get their materials from because they are pros and will use the best suppliers for the job at hand. I have a formed a good working relationship with a local fabricator https://www.facebook.com/spiessfabrication. While I've brought him all the pieces before to do a certain job, I'm more than confident in his abilities to do it all. In fact, I think he'd probably prefer to be in total control, source all the materials, do the design and fabrication, etc.

Check out https://www.unobtainium.ca/ for inspiration. I bet they can make a custom cat-back dual-exhaust out of titanium for approximately $5k for both Ti and Quad. Of course, they'd need your car to build it. Or find a good local fabricator like I have who can custom weld you whatever you want.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you're welding it yourself then you don't need advice as you're an expert already. If you're having it built by a professional welder then you don't need to worry about where they get their materials from because they are pros and will use the best suppliers for the job at hand. I have a formed a good working relationship with a local fabricator https://www.facebook.com/spiessfabrication. While I've brought him all the pieces before to do a certain job, I'm more than confident in his abilities to do it all. In fact, I think he'd probably prefer to be in total control, source all the materials, do the design and fabrication, etc.

Check out https://www.unobtainium.ca/ for inspiration. I bet they can make a custom cat-back dual-exhaust out of titanium for approximately $5k for both Ti and Quad. Of course, they'd need your car to build it. Or find a good local fabricator like I have who can custom weld you whatever you want.
Nice I grew up in DC! Ill have to run over there when we are visiting my mother in law.

·
Registered
131 Posts
So the titanium exhaust systems are insanely expensive(around $10K). Has anyone purchased the parts and fabricated or paid someone to fabricate a Titanium exhaust system? I know there are several stainless options out there but I have always preferred the look and sound if titanium pipes. I would more than likely get parts from "tycon industries" Any ideas?
Regarding welding of titanium the welding itself is not difficult in the sense that Ti has a nice and stable welding pool. The issue is that titanium can’t be exposed to air at high temperatures because it oxidizes and embrittles so you need to use an inert gas glovebox (usually argon) which are expensive. There are special torches that can be used without a glovebox that create a gas curtain around the weld pool but these are more for field repairs and need more skill to use.

·
Registered
123 Posts
quick thought: the QV has a pretty long exhaust run compared to most other cars out there...not as many pie cuts needed compared to a rear-engine supercar, but overall the materials cost is about as high as it can get. GTHaus makes Ti Turbo and/or Cat-Back set-ups for the Giulia, for much less than $10k.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts