Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi, first post here, but have had my TI Sport Q2 for a couple years. Currently looking at tire replacement options. I was curious about the type of experience others have had with different brands.

I have the staggered set-up on the wheels (225 40R19 in the front and 255 35R19 in the back), and am running the OEM Potenza RFTs. My issues with these are a lack in tread depth life as I drive about 20-25K miles per year and the noise, with I-10 road quality here in the south.

Have narrowed it down to a few options (no size change), but I am not sure about the impact in performance, especially on going from RFTs to non-RFTs:

1) Swap to Pirelli P Zero RFTs -> Better price point than the potenzas, but treadwear 220 instead of the 280.
2) Swap to Continental Sport Conact 5s RFT -> Better price point than the potenzas, same treadwear, but mixed reviews on performance with Tire Rack.
3) Change to Michellin Pilot Sport 4S non-RFT -> Better price point, and same performance as the potenzas/pirellis. Longer lifetime. This is the preferred option as I have driven these on a GTI before, but not sure on non-RFT impact.
4) Change to Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 non-RFT -> Found these on a couple other posts. Best price point, but not sure on performance completely...especially the dry traction.

Hoping to not sacrifice on the performance side, and all of these are summer tires as we don't get any snow down here....unfortunately :/

·
Registered
158 Posts
#3 is by far the best option: Much better ride, grip and steering response.
Also quieter.
Whenever you do, stay away from Pirelli.

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
8,163 Posts
There is always this approach:

Anyway summer tires will become an issue if you ever drive to a cold place, for example if you go on vacation.
From a performance and noise perspective lighter is better and RFTs are not light. Lighter wheels help too. The QV tecnico setup is lighter than the Q2 staggered 5 holes, even though they are wider.

I run a square setup on my Q4 with 245 35R19 Michelen PS A/S 3+ on Tecnico 8.5x19 wheels on all 4 corners as my summer setup. The performance penalty for these versus S4s is small. I get about 15k miles/set on a combination of highway cruising and moderately aggressive driving on mountain roads. Many summer tires are rated for minimum temperature of 45F, check the manufacturer's rating for something more specific. A/S tires for low temps, you need snow tires for snow.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hi, first post here, but have had my TI Sport Q2 for a couple years. Currently looking at tire replacement options. I was curious about the type of experience others have had with different brands.

I have the staggered set-up on the wheels (225 40R19 in the front and 255 35R19 in the back), and am running the OEM Potenza RFTs. My issues with these are a lack in tread depth life as I drive about 20-25K miles per year and the noise, with I-10 road quality here in the south.

Have narrowed it down to a few options (no size change), but I am not sure about the impact in performance, especially on going from RFTs to non-RFTs:

1) Swap to Pirelli P Zero RFTs -> Better price point than the potenzas, but treadwear 220 instead of the 280.
2) Swap to Continental Sport Conact 5s RFT -> Better price point than the potenzas, same treadwear, but mixed reviews on performance with Tire Rack.
3) Change to Michellin Pilot Sport 4S non-RFT -> Better price point, and same performance as the potenzas/pirellis. Longer lifetime. This is the preferred option as I have driven these on a GTI before, but not sure on non-RFT impact.
4) Change to Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 non-RFT -> Found these on a couple other posts. Best price point, but not sure on performance completely...especially the dry traction.

Hoping to not sacrifice on the performance side, and all of these are summer tires as we don't get any snow down here....unfortunately :/
None of these are Run Flat??

1 - 5 of 5 Posts