Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So long story short, a tire shop messed up and now I need to help with a solution
-in the front 1 bolt is broken and one hole the threads are damaged
- in the back one bolt is broken and they also accidentally put one of the front bolts in the back not knowing it was longer than the backs (aftermarket rims/spacer)

So here’s where I am. I need to know if the threads can/should be repaired or if I have to replace both wheel hubs

There’s also a service parking brake warnings and brake light is blinking, I’m assuming the longer bolt in the back hit something

·
Registered
683 Posts
depends on thread damage. maybe it's enough to re-thread and bolt will hold when screwed properly with remaining 4 good bolts. even 3 bolts will hold wheel in place very comfortably, been there done that

but if you want to be safe change hubs, bear in mind hub comes together with bearing.

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio
375 Posts
The threads can probably be repaired with timeserts, but there is no way I would be happy with that on my car... ..new hubs is the only proper repair
This. They need to pay for new hubs to be put on.

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,413 Posts
So I assume they just ripped into the with an impact gun did they? Does no one torque wheel bolts anymore...
I ask in advance and if I do not like the answer I go elsewhere.
The front hubs are a PITA to swap out because there is a suspension member in the way of removing one of the hub mounting bolts. At least according to the service manual, the front lower "strut" must be removed to gain access. I would not allow said incompetent tire shop to do that work.

Oh, and I would also consider changing that torx head bolt for a (grade 9?) hex head, so that the hub swap is far less traumatic next time (if there is a next time).

·
Registered
189 Posts
So long story short, a tire shop messed up and now I need to help with a solution
-in the front 1 bolt is broken and one hole the threads are damaged
- in the back one bolt is broken and they also accidentally put one of the front bolts in the back not knowing it was longer than the backs (aftermarket rims/spacer)

So here’s where I am. I need to know if the threads can/should be repaired or if I have to replace both wheel hubs

There’s also a service parking brake warnings and brake light is blinking, I’m assuming the longer bolt in the back hit something
That sucks brother, sorry to hear that. I hope the shop will take full responsibility and take care of the situation.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I would expect that they replace damaged hub to be safe. Hold them responsible if using "repaired" hub and something happens after.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
At the time of the incident the tire shop called the local dealer and asked how much the hub was. The dealer quoted them 161$ Each hub. They gave me money to go and place the order and they’d swap them out once the parts arrive.

The dealer had 1 in stock and the other I had to order. Anyways I gave the money back the next money because I could not sleep at night knowing I took money from someone else. Yes it was their wrongdoing. Yes they are responsible but in my book it was an honest mistake and they always treat me 10/10 whenever I go there. At least now they’ll be more careful !

Anyways as far as repairs go, the front hub I’ll definitely be replacing however the rear since it’s only missing 1 I’ll be getting it repaired.

·
Registered
564 Posts
At the time of the incident the tire shop called the local dealer and asked how much the hub was. The dealer quoted them 161$ Each hub. They gave me money to go and place the order and they’d swap them out once the parts arrive.

The dealer had 1 in stock and the other I had to order. Anyways I gave the money back the next money because I could not sleep at night knowing I took money from someone else. Yes it was their wrongdoing. Yes they are responsible but in my book it was an honest mistake and they always treat me 10/10 whenever I go there. At least now they’ll be more careful !

Anyways as far as repairs go, the front hub I’ll definitely be replacing however the rear since it’s only missing 1 I’ll be getting it repaired.
Looks like they may have damaged the electronic parking brake unit. Honest mistake or not, they have insurance for screw ups so I'd take their money.

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio
375 Posts

You're a better man than I. They caused a significant amount of damage to your car, which is going to cost you a lot of money to repair. Good guys or not, them paying to fix it is the right thing to do, and shouldn't affect your relationship with them.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts