Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone purchased wheels from Tire Rack, Madness, Eurocompulsion, Centerline, or any other non-OE supplier, for their Giulia?

Cost is a factor (I can't handle EC's Avante Garde "from $2100." price), so I'm looking at Tire Rack wheels starting at just $99. per wheel for a "Sport Edition" up to the "OZ" wheels for about $330. each.

From the stock wheel information that I have found, the 18" wheels that I have, (looking to purchase the same size) are 8" wide, with a 33mm positive offset, and a 65.1mm centerbore. Does any one have experience with wheels that have a slightly different offset?

·
Registered
365 Posts
Our winter wheels are 18" Sparco Trofeo 5s from Tire Rack. Can't specifically recall the offset, but +35 is what stuck in my memory (CORRECTION: Tire Rack says +38mm)

The hub bore tolerance on the Sparcos is tighter than the factory wheels. They take a little bit more effort to get on and more importantly I had a heck of a time getting the wheels off in the spring, because of the very tight fit to the hub, and the additional road salt intensified corrosion you'll get between the aluminum of the wheel and steel of the hub. Next winter the Sparcos will get a light coat of cosmoline around the hub bore before they get mounted onto the car.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
@wbclassics,
They look great.
Obviously they clear the brake calipers and the fenders, yes?
Can I also assume that you are not using a spacer or center bore fitment ring?
My plan is to use the stock Bridgestone tires as our winter rubber and mount 3 season performance tires on the new wheels.
As our Giulia is Alfa black with bright trim, I'm looking at the Platinum Flux in chrome. Similar 10 spoke, to your wheels.

Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
365 Posts
@wbclassics ,
They look great.
Obviously they clear the brake calipers and the fenders, yes?
Can I also assume that you are not using a spacer or center bore fitment ring?
My plan is to use the stock Bridgestone tires as our winter rubber and mount 3 season performance tires on the new wheels.
As our Giulia is Alfa black with bright trim, I'm looking at the Platinum Flux in chrome. Similar 10 spoke, to your wheels.

Thanks for the info.

No clearance issues (calipers or fenders). That picture was taken this past March, after about 4 months of those wheels/winter tires being mounted on the car. From mid-Nov to late-April about 9000 miles were put onto that winter wheel/tire combo without any issues.

No wheel spacers or hub centering rings, the Sparco Trofeo 5 as supplied by Tire Rack has has the OE hub bore dimension. Tire Rack supplies an extra set of lug bolts with the wheel set purchase. Tire Rack supplied (non-OE) TPMS sensors also work fine.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Another pic from a different angle. This was at Christmas time when Giulia was getting ceramic coated (sitting in the detail shop in the photo). Gives a better view of clearance between the rear wheel and the fender lip.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
365 Posts
@wbclassics
Did the OE center caps not fit?

No idea if the OE center caps will fit, it wasn't a consideration when purchasing the wheels. Back in November 2017, there weren't many aftermarket wheels that were known to fit, so choices were very limited. I wanted an 18" wheel for winter (we have OE 19" 5 holes for other 6 months of the year), and I think Tire Rack only had 3-4 choices at that time in November, so other than fit issues, I didn't prioritize small things like being able to swap in OE center cap.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I love tirerack. when I order wheel and tire package everything is perfect. They do fantastic balance job. Just order OZ 19 inch rims and Michelin snow tires. Always buy early in the season.

·
Registered
3,602 Posts
My thoughts exactly. The OZ 19 Leggera HLTs and Pirelli Sottozero S2s are what I want. Next year. Miata set is back on deck this year ;)

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
@daneracer @John_K_348
Thank you both for your replies.
I too have had great experiences with Tire Rack wheels, for both my BMWs and Volvos.
As I've learned from my many years of experience with Alfa Romeo, when buying aftermarket products for AR, BE CAREFUL.
Also, I'm not looking for a set of wheels for snow tires (see post #3), it's 3 season performance tires I desire.

·
Registered
58 Posts
@daneracer @John_K_348
Thank you both for your replies.
I too have had great experiences with Tire Rack wheels, for both my BMWs and Volvos.
As I've learned from my many years of experience with Alfa Romeo, when buying aftermarket products for AR, BE CAREFUL.
Also, I'm not looking for a set of wheels for snow tires (see post #3), it's 3 season performance tires I desire.

What wheels and tires have you found so far...

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
I just replaced my front tires on my q.v. after 8500 miles due to a bubble from pothole. Total at dealer for two Corsa assimetricos was $756 labor included. I personally would not use any other tires since the performance may vary. Just don’t think it’s meant to have cheap tires. I wouldn’t risk losing the handling performance.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Without a doubt the stock Corsas are extremely grippy but their temperature band makes them downright unsafe in sub 35 degree weather....I use my Quad as my daily and so I had to move the Corsas on (after enjoying them for 2500 miles) for an All Season tire once September rolled around.....D

·
Registered
109 Posts
Without a doubt the stock Corsas are extremely grippy but their temperature band makes them downright unsafe in sub 35 degree weather....I use my Quad as my daily and so I had to move the Corsas on (after enjoying them for 2500 miles) for an All Season tire once September rolled around.....D
Whats the best tire in California? Weather is typically between 65 and 95... :p

·
Registered
2018 Vulcano Black Giulia Quadrifoglio
4,934 Posts
Why not get a set of dedicated Winters?

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Definitely a viable option....I have an extra set of 5 hole rims in my shed....I have found that because I'm not tracking the car, the Michelin Super Sport Pilots I've put on are quite fine and get the job done....Without a doubt, if I punch it off the line the rear end will wiggle...But that's kind of fun....

·
Registered
'20 Ti-Sport Carbon Q4 Rosso Comp
688 Posts
I'm running RE-11's on my Q4.
according to tirerack & bridgestone, I have very last set that was available in North America.
size is 245/40/19 and car is totally different from stock Pirellis

I'm looking at 17" Sparco Trofeo for winter setup but even that, w/ TPMS & Tires = $1500.
need to find a set sooner than later as temps are going to drop soon in New England.

Reactions: John_K_348

·
Registered
52 Posts
Winter tires are so much better in cold and wet roads. Live in CT and the many of the roads are twisty and can get icy. Winter tires are so superior that I would not run a high performance car without them.

·
Registered
3,602 Posts
The Corsas are grippy but after having bubbles on my two fronts, I am positive this tire is just not up to harsh urban use. To me, they are a hot lap tire and made perfect sense since Alfa went for the record. The car had to be "homologated" to set the record as a production car on the Ring. It's like a sticky Quali tire when the race would really work best with a one stop strategy and a medium compound.

I have earlier Potenza RE performance tires on my Ferrari and they have been fine over 2 winters now. I just have to add psi in the winter and let them warm up if I am going to drive it during those months. They are plenty sticky too. I have scraped rubber dust off the wheel wells control arms after weaving impatiently behind slow pokes. ;)

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
What wheels and tires have you found so far...
I am looking at the Platinum Flux chrome plated 18x8 with a 35mm positive offset. This would put them in towards the hub 2mm. I could then use a wheel spacer to push them back out towards the fenders. I am then considering a set of higher performance (than my OE Bridgestone RFTs) 3 season tires. PS4S or Extreme Contact Sport or ???
My Q4 is Alfa Black with the bright trim. I think that the chrome wheels would look great.

Reactions: patek
1 - 20 of 38 Posts