Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have about 3200 miles on my Quad and had the tires checked by Discount Tires which told me they are 60% gone (rear tires). I would think that I have another 1K mile in useful tread. What are my options for a bit more tread life? Discount Tires suggested high end Michelin (cant remember what he told me) but the size for the rear are not yet available. Can't put another set of Pirelli my wife will not be very happy to replace tires every 4K or so miles. Problem is compounded that as it is getting a bit cooler here in North Carolina and the Pirelli have hardly any traction if driven aggressively. Can I go a bit wider but would it help with the traction?

Thanks

·
Registered
2017 Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio
954 Posts
Any tire with a tread rating higher than 60 LOL
The stock tires are sticky tires and have a tread rating of 60 which is why they go out so fast but it provides incredible traction. But if you want longer lasting tires go for tread rating of 250 + but keep in mind that traction will be compromised. Opposite of what you want to do on the Q since its its the Giulia's performance trim.

Also drive a little slower! haha hard to do with a Q I am sure.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Look at the Bridgestone Potenza S-04 Pole Position (280, but fronts not available till 11/30/17) or the Continental ExtremeContact Sport (340), both Max Performace Summer.

If you are willing to slip to Ultra High Performance All Season (highly recommended for the cool season, but not "snow tires by any means), there is the Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06 (560) or the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ (500).

Dropping to Ultra High Performance Summer, you could try the Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 (340).

All these tires have good reviews on other vehicles, and I've had the DWS's on a different car and loved them.

Also, check this thread: http://www.giuliaforums.com/forum/481-alfa-romeo-giulia-quadrifoglio/17969-tires.html

·
Registered
167 Posts
You cannot compare treadwear ratings between manufacturers. The rating system is designed to be inter manufacturer only. For example Trofeo R is TW 60 Pirreli. We use these often on the Porsches at the track. The compound is around teh same hardness as teh Michelin Cup2 which is 180TW on the Michelin TW scale.

If you put a Cup2 Michelin on the QV it will last around the same time as the Corsa (AR) Pirreli. Maybe a fraction longer. Thats 180TW Michelin vs 60TW Pirelli.

If you put a Michelin PS4S on the QV it will last much longer. Its a Michelin TW300 tyre so when compared to TW180 for Cup2 you can see the difference.

The biggest thing you need to remember is this. The Corsa (AR) tyre was designed for the QV. Grip (compound softness) was an obvious consideration for outright performance bragging rights. However the Corsa tyre for AR also has a soft sidewall. This unfortunately means the front tyre shoulder wears quickly when pushing on as there is limited negative camber and the tyre rolls on the rim under extreme corning and turn in - but also the elasticity of the sidewall is one of the reasons this most remarkable of performance sedans actually rides so well on the road. If you put a tyre with a firmer sidewall on you may find the ride compliance is also altered...

4200 miles is too short a life for the rears IMO unless lots of fast backroad drives. I think you will be surpised to find they tyre lasts longer than you think. Remember this tyre only ships with around 6-7mm of initial tread so perhaps your tyre shop estimate was based on a initial new tread block depth more typical (8-10mm).

Just a thought. There is alot of miss understanding of TW index on these boards I see the TW60 thing being compared to a Michelin TW180/300 so often. Its about same as TW180 and will last roughly 40% less than TW300 - but its not an exact science as every driver and conditions are different...

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You cannot compare treadwear ratings between manufacturers. The rating system is designed to be inter manufacturer only. For example Trofeo R is TW 60 Pirreli. We use these often on the Porsches at the track. The compound is around teh same hardness as teh Michelin Cup2 which is 180TW on the Michelin TW scale.

If you put a Cup2 Michelin on the QV it will last around the same time as the Corsa (AR) Pirreli. Maybe a fraction longer. Thats 180TW Michelin vs 60TW Pirelli.

If you put a Michelin PS4S on the QV it will last much longer. Its a Michelin TW300 tyre so when compared to TW180 for Cup2 you can see the difference.

The biggest thing you need to remember is this. The Corsa (AR) tyre was designed for the QV. Grip (compound softness) was an obvious consideration for outright performance bragging rights. However the Corsa tyre for AR also has a soft sidewall. This unfortunately means the front tyre shoulder wears quickly when pushing on as there is limited negative camber and the tyre rolls on the rim under extreme corning and turn in - but also the elasticity of the sidewall is one of the reasons this most remarkable of performance sedans actually rides so well on the road. If you put a tyre with a firmer sidewall on you may find the ride compliance is also altered...

4200 miles is too short a life for the rears IMO unless lots of fast backroad drives. I think you will be surpised to find they tyre lasts longer than you think. Remember this tyre only ships with around 6-7mm of initial tread so perhaps your tyre shop estimate was based on a initial new tread block depth more typical (8-10mm).

Just a thought. There is alot of miss understanding of TW index on these boards I see the TW60 thing being compared to a Michelin TW180/300 so often. Its about same as TW180 and will last roughly 40% less than TW300 - but its not an exact science as every driver and conditions are different...

Thank you Macca, that was really informative. We shall see how long they really last. I do like the Pirelli not only they are sticky but they also ride very comfortably and quiet. Yes, I do run this car hard, can't help it the fun factor is off the scale.

·
Registered
189 Posts
If they come in your size, try Continental Extreme DW (summer) or DWS (all season), they are a good compromise if wear is a concern - I use DW on my 911 Carrera that is notorious for rear tire wear. I would use DWS if you get below freezing temps often.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Thank you Macca, that was really informative. We shall see how long they really last. I do like the Pirelli not only they are sticky but they also ride very comfortably and quiet. Yes, I do run this car hard, can't help it the fun factor is off the scale.
I think the quoted poster may not be correct for tires sold in the US.
The UTQG treadwear index is intended to allow comparison between manufacturers.
Search the 'web' for UTQG for an explanation.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I think the quoted poster may not be correct for tires sold in the US.
The UTQG treadwear index is intended to allow comparison between manufacturers.
Search the 'web' for UTQG for an explanation.
Weppler, the key on your post is "intended to". That's the plan but not reality. The issue is that this is not a standard test that is independently verified so it's up to the manufacturers to do and publish their own results so some are more optimistic than others making the results not necessarily comparable.

·
Registered
13 Posts
If they come in your size, try Continental Extreme DW (summer) or DWS (all season), they are a good compromise if wear is a concern - I use DW on my 911 Carrera that is notorious for rear tire wear. I would use DWS if you get below freezing temps often.
The Continental ExtremeContact replaces the DW and is a far better tire. I am running these on a separate set of wheels for daily driving. But, yes, if the OP sees a lot of below freezing and snow days, then the best tire is a true winter tire and for this car both the Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4 and the Pirelli Winter Sottozero Serie II come in the stock sizes for our car. I find the All Season tires to be too much of a compromise in regions with true winters. I have always had a better driving experience with a summer tire year round in fair climate regions.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
You cannot compare treadwear ratings between manufacturers. The rating system is designed to be inter manufacturer only.
Nope, that's just plain false. Treadwear ratings are assigned by the manufacturer based upon their testing if the tire vs a "reference tire". He reference tire is one produced specifically by the NHTSA and sold to the manufacturers. The test is performed by driving identical vehicles with testing tires and reference tires in a convoy for several thousand miles.

After this, the tested tires are analyzed and their wear response vs. the reference tire is calculated. The reference tire was initially a 100, but is much higher now. Let's say the reference tire was a 200 rating, and the tested tire showed 50% of the wear, it is a 400 rating...but...the manufacturer can elect to underrate the tire. Let's say the tire gets rated 300, to make it seem a more performance tire, that's legal. They cannot rate the tire at anything over 4000, or they can face serious fines.

Tires with little road use (like the Pirelli Corsa's) are sometimes assigned artificially low ratings to emphasize their lack of usefulness in normal driving.

·
Registered
334 Posts
The Michelin they are referring to is probably the P4, which doesn't seem to exist in the size for the rear tires yet. I have about 7200 miles on my QV, and the tire will probably need replacing at around 8000 miles. I would like the P4 if it is available by then or I might go with Pirelli P-Zero's which I've had pretty good luck with. The Corsa AR is a good track tire and has great grip, but that 60 treadwear rating is a killer ......

1 - 12 of 12 Posts