Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I had recently taken delivery of my 2018 Giulia. Since then I’ve put roughly 1500 miles on it without any serious issues. I have however noticed that the ride quality was a bit harsh and decided to check my tire pressure. Every single tire was inflated to or above 55 psi which is way above spec as well as maximum tire pressure. I deflated the tires to spec (32 in the front, 35 in the rear). I know it was a novice mistake and I should’ve checked the pressure sooner. Not sure why I trusted the dealership knowing that overinflation is common in new cars. Anyway my question is whether or not it’s okay to have the psi either + or - 1 from the recommended psi. Does one psi make a significant difference or any at all? I’m not sure how accurate the cars psi reading is and would like some input, thanks!

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
it is OK, it is also wise to also adjust them depending on the load and how you drive, observed tire wear; the number is nothing but a safe starting point.
this is just my opinion, not manufacturers advice, and I'm just an idiot on the internet that Alfa won't sell a car to.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I deflated the tires to spec (32 in the front, 35 in the rear). I know it was a novice mistake and I should’ve checked the pressure sooner. Not sure why I trusted the dealership knowing that overinflation is common in new cars. Anyway my question is whether or not it’s okay to have the psi either + or - 1 from the recommended psi. Does one psi make a significant difference or any at all?
Hey Daniel, +/– one psi is less than changes in pressure (psi) owing to temperature variations, thus it's okay. I've clocked up around 22000 kilometres on my QV running recommended pressures (i.e. 35F, 32R), which I check weekly and before long drives; I'm finding wear is very good at these pressures. You'll notice pressure increases––3, 4, 5 psi––as tire (tyre) temperatures rise during use.

NB your above quoted psi specs are back to front.

·
Registered
‘19 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,887 Posts
The in car pressure gauge is not immediately accurate (or just not accurate), so inflate cold and use an external pressure gauge to confirm desired settings.

+/- 1psi, no matter where it’s measured, is not a concern. That said, I find the car is very sensitive to tire pressure (in the Pirelli P7 Cinturato AS on Q4) and so setting it precisely is important.

For me, factory recommended pressure was too low in front and gave mushy steering feel, so I run 37psi there and like the change. The tires seem to howl less when pushed hard through turns as well. I dunno if I’m generating more grip or not, but the in-car g-meter says I do better when it doesn’t sound like I’m about to fly off the road!

Reactions: lost1750GTV

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
8,062 Posts
Really surprising how many dealers deliver cars with excessive tire pressure.

Reactions: 16634
1 - 5 of 5 Posts