Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 2018 Giulia Ti with Staggered Tires. The OEM run-flats have recommend pressures of 35 psi front and 33 psi rear. I will be putting on some Firestone Firehawk Indy 500's in the OEM sizes, but these tires have a higher load rating than the OEM run-flats.

Based on my research the comparable inflation to the run-flats would be 31 psi front and 29 psi rear due to the load rating difference. I will tweak the pressure as needed, but I assume my TPMS will complain about low psi on all of the tires if I go the 31/29 route. Has anyone found a way to adjust the "normal" TPMS pressure to avoid warning lights?

Anyone else running these in a staggered 225/40/19 255/35/19 setup? what pressures are you running?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Use the recommended SL inflation pressures for the XL tires.

SL and XL tires of a given size have the same load versus inflation pressure relationship.
The difference between the two is that the SL is defined as reaching its load limit at 36psi, while the XL can continue to carry additional load until it reaches its limit at 42psi.

Joe

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a 2018 Giulia Ti with Staggered Tires. The OEM run-flats have recommend pressures of 35 psi front and 33 psi rear. I will be putting on some Firestone Firehawk Indy 500's in the OEM sizes, but these tires have a higher load rating than the OEM run-flats.

Based on my research the comparable inflation to the run-flats would be 31 psi front and 29 psi rear due to the load rating difference. I will tweak the pressure as needed, but I assume my TPMS will complain about low psi on all of the tires if I go the 31/29 route. Has anyone found a way to adjust the "normal" TPMS pressure to avoid warning lights?

Anyone else running these in a staggered 225/40/19 255/35/19 setup? what pressures are you running?
Like to hear your reaction after some miles. Have same rig and considering Firehawks, thanks.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I can tell you I switched to the Indy 500's a few months ago - what a game changer! I am not running staggered (19X8 all around) but they are just short of wearing Superman's cape!
(y)- highly recommend them. BTW I am running 38 PSI all the way around, monitoring the on board TMPS they arrive at 39 - 40 once warmed up.

·
Registered
2018 Giulia Ti
263 Posts
I can tell you I switched to the Indy 500's a few months ago - what a game changer! I am not running staggered (19X8 all around) but they are just short of wearing Superman's cape!
(y)- highly recommend them. BTW I am running 38 PSI all the way around, monitoring the on board TMPS they arrive at 39 - 40 once warmed up.
How many miles do you have on them so far and how are they wearing? I purchased a set for my car a few months back from my local independent Firestone store when they were on sale and had 0% financing for installation at a future date when the run flats are gone.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've only put around 700 miles on them so far, seem to be wearing fine, got mine from Tire Rack, and bought a electronic air pump with "goo" dispenser from Griots Garage, so all set! I think they are the best deal on the market for the Giulia - just short of a street legal track tire. Man they stick!

·
Registered
595 Posts
You are certainly right about that -- monstrously great deal!

My first summer setup was a square 225 set, and skidpad routinely went 1.02-1.03 in hot weather. I did run them +1psi above requested 35Front / 37Rear posted for the car, at 36/38 with a precision tire-guage. Rotated them at 4,000 miles and got two summers out of them totaling about 16,000 miles. In storage with enough tread for 1 track day.

Dangerous as F#$k below 40 degrees and not particularly great wet-weather performance, but that's why they're called Summers and it don't rain in CO. Still above and beyond the Pirelli Ruin-Flats, which turn Giulia chassis dynamics sour with their stiff sidewalls and whimpy lateral adhesion (never bested .93g) with atrocious treadwear (didn't even get 12,000 miles and OEM's have NO factory warranty). The Guilia is truly a different car with new Indy Firehawk shoes and a QV-style inflation kit.

2nd Gen rubber, and yet another level of improvement are my current shoes - the Michelin Pilot 4S, slightly oversized in 235ZR40x19's. They weigh nearly 3 lbs less and I have yet to find adhesion limits on my canyon drives. Spin up faster and aren't the top rated max-performance summer for no reason. But you get what you pay for, unfortunately at pretty close to 2x the spend. The do wear terrifically, kill wet/dry and stick like theyt're superglued.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts