Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Anyone getting the low tire pressure warning? My car is 2 1/2 months old and I get it once a month. Could it be the run flat tires? There are no nails or such that would make the tires leak. I start with 35psi front and 37 psi rear.

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,790 Posts
How much have ambient temperatures decreased during that period?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Anyone getting the low tire pressure warning? My car is 2 1/2 months old and I get it once a month. Could it be the run flat tires? There are no nails or such that would make the tires leak. I start with 35psi front and 37 psi rear.
My TPMS popped up a warning about 2 weeks ago. It was just after a pretty significant ambient temperature drop though. I checked the pressures and topped them off only to see another warning the next day. Ends up that the pressure gauge on my Ryobi inflater is off by about 2 psi when compared to 2 other tire gauges. Haven't had a problem since realizing that and getting the pressures right.

·
Registered
647 Posts
I have a base Q4/AWD Giuia with Bridgestone 18" run flats. The label on the inside of the driver's door jam specs 32psi front and 35psi rear, which I follow. I check them every two weeks or so when cold with a high quality tire gauge. I find needing to add 1 psi or so every month depending on mileage driven. I use a portable 12V tire inflator with auto shut off. I'm a stickler about checking my tire pressure for great handling and grip. My two hand gauges and the inflator are all within 0.5/1 psi.

My on screen tire gauge seems to be reasonably accurate when cold and after driving for 10 miles plus (2-3 psi higher). I use it as a general check. I have not received any TPMS warning.

Reactions: AlfaAndy

·
Registered
121 Posts
The run flat tires seem to be very sensitive to temperature decreases. When the temp went down by 10 degrees nighttime I lost 5lbs a tire. I topped them off but two weeks later when ambient night temps dropped another 10 degrees I lost another 2 lbs per tire. Nature of the beast I guess.

·
Registered
Tipo 33 Stradale 1/18 scale
4,025 Posts
am a bit puzzled by some of the lower pressures you guys are running 35/37 and 32/35 ? ... i know thats what the manual says but ...

i was running 34/36 and took them into a Bridgestone centre to have him check wear and a slight pulling to the left (RHD car) and he recommended 41 all round for Bridgestone Potenza S001 runflats ... i settled for 38 front and 40 rear as a compromise
he found feathering and uneven wear and said the LH pulling could have been due to lower pressure, have also been told Alfa recommends 34 front and rear but after 38/40 i have not had any pulling to the left or uneven wear

i lose 1 psi all round every time i check every couple of weeks ... have always had that

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I am going by the sticker inside the drivers door. I've never had a car so sensitive to tire pressure. It shows you how performance orientated Alfa is. My tires would be mid 20's before my Lexus RC would send a warning. I will make it my business to check pressure the first of every month. I'm just glad it is normal for the warning to come when the tire is at 31 psi.

·
Registered
787 Posts
My door sticker says 34/37, I have the 19" Pirelli Cinturato P7 rum flats on my TI

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Are you sure? I have the same tires.

Attachments

·
Registered
647 Posts
Are you sure? I have the same tires.
So now we finally know that you have 19" Pirelli Cinturato P7 and your door sticker shows 35 front and 37 rear.
Maybe then you have an issue with the TPMS.
No offense, but if you would have said so in your first post, not all the confusion.
Obviously Giulia's with different tires brands/models and sizes run at different psi's.
I would stay with the 35/37 and check them with a quality gauge every 250 miles or every several weeks.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
So now we finally know that you have 19" Pirelli Cinturato P7 and your door sticker shows 35 front and 37 rear.
No offense, but if you would have said so in your first post, not all the confusion.
Obviously Giulia's with different tires brands/models and sizes run at different psi's.
I would stay with the 35/37 and check them with a quality gauge every 250 miles or every several weeks.
This should have nothing to do with different tires. Does the tpms know what tire combination you have? I could swap out the run flats for summer tires with different psi. I did say "run flats">:)

·
Registered
647 Posts
am a bit puzzled by some of the lower pressures you guys are running 35/37 and 32/35 ? ... i know thats what the manual says but ...

i was running 34/36 and took them into a Bridgestone centre to have him check wear and a slight pulling to the left (RHD car) and he recommended 41 all round for Bridgestone Potenza S001 runflats ... i settled for 38 front and 40 rear as a compromise
he found feathering and uneven wear and said the LH pulling could have been due to lower pressure, have also been told Alfa recommends 34 front and rear but after 38/40 i have not had any pulling to the left or uneven wear

i lose 1 psi all round every time i check every couple of weeks ... have always had that
You haven't told us what exact size Bridgestone Potenza S001 run flats you have.

I in the past worked in factory marketing/sales for a huge international petroleum company and sold tires for many years
to gas stations and tire and auto supply wholesalers. Just my experience but I would rather trust the Alfa door sticker
(if you have them down under) than a tire dealer. You'll probably get different answers from different Bridgestone dealers.
I do check my tires (Bridgestone Turanza 225/45R18 18" RFT, made in Poland) twice a month or so and do find them down 0.5 to 1.0 psi at times.
I keep both sides exactly the same psi (32 F/35 R for normal driving, not high speed) although the tire psi on the info screen is sometimes different on the left versus right,
so I use it as a general guide only. You can see from above posts that different tire brands and sizes on Giulia's have different PSi recommendations. My Giulia
tracks perfectly straight on a smooth level road at 60 mph and has for 2700 miles. I take my hands off the steering wheel for up to 10-15 seconds with no wondering.
To me this is a good way to find if a tire is low on one side or the wheel alignment is off.

Here for all is exactly what the US/Canada Giulia and Giulia Quad manuals say for any interested:

Inflation pressures specified on the
placard are always “cold tire inflation
pressure”. Cold tire inflation pressure is
defined as the tire pressure after the
vehicle has not been driven for at least
three hours, or driven less than 1 mile
(1.6 km).

Check tire pressures more often if
subject to a wide range of outdoor
temperatures, as tire pressures vary
with temperature changes.
Tire pressures change by approximately
1 psi (7 kPa) per 12°F (7°C) of air
temperature change. Keep this in mind
when checking tire pressure inside a
garage, especially in the Winter.
Example: If garage temperature = 68°F
(20°C) and the outside temperature =
32°F (0°C) then the cold tire inflation
pressure should be increased by 3 psi
(21 kPa), which equals 1 psi (7 kPa) for
every 12°F (7°C) for this outside
temperature condition.
Tire pressure may increase from 2 to
6 psi (13 to 40 kPa) during operation.
DO NOT reduce this normal pressure
build up.

Where speed limits or conditions
are such that the vehicle can be driven
at high speeds, maintaining correct tire
inflation pressure is very important.
Increased tire pressure and reduced
vehicle loading may be required for
high-speed vehicle operation.

Giulia, 17, 18 and 19 inch, left thumbnail photo
Giulia Quad, all 19 inch, right thumbnail photo

Original tires
Blue dot -- snow tires

Attachments

Reactions: jnsd

·
Registered
647 Posts
This should have nothing to do with different tires. Does the tpms know what tire combination you have? I could swap out the run flats for summer tires with different psi. I did say "run flats">:)
Alfa55, maybe I'm cornfused but I think the TPMS has to do with the inflation in the tires, not what specific tires you have.
Check the door sticker for your specific recommended tire PSI. It should be the same as the cold tire pressure in the owner's
manual for your model Giulia. See my photos just above. High speed PSI settings recommendations are increased.

PS; We still don't know exactly what size 19" tires you have? In the photo above it shows 3 different original size 19" for Giulia's.
They actually have 12 different recommended PSI settings for cold weather and 12 more for high speed Giulia's and Quad's.
Rather easy to get confused.

If the Owner's manual is correct then you must have a 225/40R19 93V XL M+S Runflat 19x8J,
a 225/40R19 89W Runflat 19x8J, or a 255/35R19 92W Runflat 19x9J.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
I would stay with the 35/37 and check them with a quality gauge every 250 miles or every several weeks

You are confused. Look at your first reply. I brought up the fact the TPMS knows nothing about tire size. You brought up the tire size not I. You also said I should have stated that in the first place. Now you're stating exactly what I said that the tpms only monitors pressure, it doesn't know the tire size and type. It's a sensitive system which bolsters the fact that Alfa makes performance cars.

·
Registered
647 Posts
I would stay with the 35/37 and check them with a quality gauge every 250 miles or every several weeks

You are confused. Look at your first reply. You brought up the tire size not I. You also said I should have stated that in the first place. Now you're stating exactly what I said that the tpms only monitors pressure, it doesn't know the tire size and type.
Sorry I goofed! My apologies. :confused:

I've been up all night with a sick wife. My brain is mushy! I missed you posting:
"I am going by the sticker inside the drivers door"

My bad!

Chuck

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Sorry I goofed! My apologies. :confused:

I've been up all night with a sick wife. My brain is mushy! I missed you posting:
"I am going by the sticker inside the drivers door"

My bad!

Chuck
It's all good. Hope your wife feels better.

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
doesn't the manual have a section for resetting the pressures that the system is monitoring? it doesn't know what tires you have, whether you adjusted for high speeds or heavy loads - or because you noticed premature wear and are taking corrective action, which is of course the right thing to do.
within broad guidelines, you should be able to "tell" the computer what is right, and it checks if those values are met, by putting how much air you want in them, then driving to reset.

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,790 Posts
doesn't the manual have a section for resetting the pressures that the system is monitoring? it doesn't know what tires you have, whether you adjusted for high speeds or heavy loads - or because you noticed premature wear and are taking corrective action, which is of course the right thing to do.
within broad guidelines, you should be able to "tell" the computer what is right, and it checks if those values are met, by putting how much air you want in them, then driving to reset.
As far as I can tell from the manual, the "reset process" is adding air to the tires. Now that temperatures have moderated mine are almost back (within 1 psi, as indicated by the TPMS) to door sticker values, yet the warning light persists.

Reactions: 4doorturbo
1 - 20 of 42 Posts