Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently was at a friend's shop fixing my other car (daily driver, an 07 Yaris) and he checked the Giulia's tire pressure only to find they were massively over-inflated (Over 50PSI). So he took some air out to the required levels of 35 PSI, but now the Tire Pressure indicator came on telling me that my tires need air. I figured once I shut it off and then restart it the light will go away, but it's still there. Is that common? The air pressure fluctuated a bit on my way home between 34-36 PSI, so I'm sure they're adjusting to the different pressure and weather (it was a bit warmer today than it has been of late). I was looking into the settings to see if there's a way to reset the default levels, but I didn't have luck. Any advice?

·
Registered
537 Posts
I’m not sure about Alfas but I know on other FCA vehicles I can change the tire pressure thresholds to a lower or higher number, this should be preset by the factory though.
And just FYI. The car’s are shipped at max pressure, the dealer should lower the pressure to spec before delivery (usually this is the salespersons job, so it seldom ever gets done)

Reactions: JohnWD

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,735 Posts
It would be a good idea to monitor your tires for a while for sidewall bulges or evidence that the bead is not staying seated. The tires that come on Giulia are not rated for being inflated above 50PSI and driven faster than "creep".

·
Registered
65 Posts
It would appear that many of the forum members have had issues with tire pressure,,,it seems the factory over inflates the tires for travel as tires tend to lose a bit of air over storage time..additionally some dealers seem to neglect setting the tire pressure properly at the time of sale/delivery which causes harsh test drives and a period of time where the new owners drive on the same over inflated tires until the issue is discovered.

The other issue experienced is the lack of checking the tires when they are at cold/at rest temperatures where the pressure is recommended to have the proper pressure set. . Tires warm with driving and naturally the air within the tire warms and increases the pressure while moving. The tire pressure may vary from tire to tire on a given vehicle due to road, braking, acceleration, cornering, speed and other conditions although the tire may have been properly set when cold. It may also be that the tire gauge you are using is faulty.

It generally takes a couple of short terms of driving for my car to read and register the pressure. Just my two cents..

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the responses, I've been keeping an eye on my tire pressure gauges and they are all stable.

Crazy that they over-inflate them that much.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
That is strange they were even at 50 PSI to begin with.

·
Registered
736 Posts
My wife’s was 40 PSI all around! I dropped it down to 32 front and 35 rear as per label on the door jamb next morning.

(Seems like Alfa just mounted the tires and never adjusted the pressure. 40 PSI is mounting pressure as far as I know).

·
Registered
736 Posts
Check your brake fluid level. It was over full, to the base of the neck, on ours...

(I thought I was the smoothest Giulia driver around, but I think the heat from pressure build up and clamping of the brakes all the time was fooling me. After I siphoned off the excess I'm no longer Mr. Smooth).

·
Registered
1 Posts
I’m not sure about Alfas but I know on other FCA vehicles I can change the tire pressure thresholds to a lower or higher number, this should be preset by the factory though.
And just FYI. The car’s are shipped at max pressure, the dealer should lower the pressure to spec before delivery (usually this is the salespersons job, so it seldom ever gets done)
We have a 2019 giulia sport and I bought a set of winter tires and wheels through tire rack. the first season was fine, but lately my wife says the TPMS says 10psi in right rear but it reads 32 at the gas station. What to do?

·
Registered
850 Posts
I have a Lonacre racing gage in a case, which I use to set my pressures accurately. To the point of being sure one side of my car's are not in the sun and the other in the shade. But I think a lot of salesmen just pump air in until it "looks good' and don't check at all. Years ago, my wife picked up a new Jag a few hundred miles from home and when I checked the pressures when she got home one tires was like 50 psi. In fact, when I travel and intend to rent a car, I carry a small pressure gage and check the tires before I set out. Usually way off from what I think they should be.

Recently had a tire replaced and the dash reading went away and recored the correct pressure in a mile of high way driving.

NV

·
Registered
'17 Ti Sport Q4 w/ Active Shocks & LSD
798 Posts
hey Alfisti,

I noticed there are several settings in the proxi alignment when running MES. Can anyone shed light on what the alternative TPMS settings might be for?

Reactions: AlfaAndy

·
Registered
736 Posts
The tire store I'm loyal too told me if the pressure reading is off from actual that the battery is dying, and to replace the sensor.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
In my decades of working at different Dealerships, all new cars are shipped with tires inflated well above the recommended driving pressure. Especially true of cars that come from Europe. As part of the PDI (pre-delivery inspection) the pressures should have been set to the psi indicated on the sill sticker. Like the oil level indicator measurement and display system on our Giulias, the TPMS has a mind of it's own (read, less than adequate, imo). I service a few Giulia and Stelvio and in my experience, sometimes the TPMS will immediately display the corrected PSI, sometimes a short drive (less than a mile) will trigger a correction, sometimes (no matter what you try) it takes until the next day. But, again in my experience, if a tire begins to loose air, you will be notified immediately.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts