Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would recommend checking your tire pressures screen when you take delivery.
I checked mine a few days after and WOW - the fronts were 59 each.
I then checked them with a gauge and they were indeed at 59.
I notified my dealer telling them their mechanics should make sure to check the tire pressures upon receipt/delivery inspection - hopefully they now are.

I didn't post this earlier as I figured mine may be a one-off and dealers should really be checking tire pressures as well, but I saw a few posts today stating they had overinflated tires as well.

Mine is a QV.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Known issue. And it might be due to rim failures on potholes. Everyone wants big baller rims and skinny rubber band tire, regardless of performance. I understand adding a little extra pressure but not 19 psi. Try more like less than 40 or maybe 43-45. What's the max on the sidewall?

Reactions: peczenij

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
I checked mine using a pencil gauge at the dealer before taking delivery. Each tire was only four pounds over and warm. The next day while cold, I checked again and let a few pounds out of each tire.

The in-dash readout is helpful, but I'm old skool on all this stuff. I'm really missing the dipstick.

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,462 Posts
Dealer said tire pressure was fine when I was taking delivery. A quick spin through the menus proved otherwise, and a tech was summoned to reduce them. I can't help but wonder whether they're still letting them roll out the door with 50+ psi.

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,729 Posts
Known issue. And it might be due to rim failures on potholes. Everyone wants big baller rims and skinny rubber band tire, regardless of performance. I understand adding a little extra pressure but not 19 psi. Try more like less than 40 or maybe 43-45. What's the max on the sidewall?

I don't know the purpose of the high pressures, but this is not the only vehicle delivered with severely overinflated tires.
I expect that the max pressure rating stamped on the sidewall is 50psi or less. Over inflating a tire is extremely dangerous. Simply standing near an over inflated tire is extremely dangerous.

The 225 55R17 Yokohama Geolanders that came on my Subaru are marked 44 PSI max and "DO NOT EXCEED 40 PSI" to seat the bead. The vehicle was delivered with over 50 PSI in the tires. These tires have plenty of sidewall, so dealing with pinch flats could not have been the purpose. In fact Subaru loses sales because potential customers test drive the vehicle with these overinflated tires and are put off by the noise and harsh ride that results.

The correct inflation pressure for your as-delivered tire size and vehicle weight is marked on the vehicle somewhere (at least in the USA, and if you are not in the USA you are probably wondering what is this PSI), normally on one of the front door pillars (some have it more conveniently on the inside of the fuel filler door). For a 3500 pound Giulia with 225s it should be in the mid to low 30s of PSI, except maybe when carrying a heavy load such as 4 adults in the vehicle. Traction loss, excessive wear rate, and tire damage can all result from significantly over or under inflating the tires. Over inflated tires cause the ride to be harsh and noisy. Under inflated tires cause the handling to be "squirrelly".

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,462 Posts
I suspect the high pressures have something to do with being tied down for shipping. Maybe to resist flat-spotting?

Reactions: mc3456 and AlfaAndy

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
I suspect the high pressures have something to do with being tied down for shipping. Maybe to resist flat-spotting?
You would be correct, overinflated tires together with suspension blocks minimize weight bouncing after the cars are secured on transport vehicles.....overinflation is also recomended for long storage or standing of the vehicles to prevent flatspotting of tires....dealers however should check pressure is up to specs during delivery process....mine were checked but during drive home they were at 41 all around....adjusted immediatelly after coming home and tires had time to cool down and all is good since then

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
I'm really missing the dipstick.
Does anyone know why the base/ti don't get a dipstick? What's the reasoning behind it?
All Germans wills sell you car without dipstick too so that is nothing unusual.....you can actually buy dipstick for Audi for ridiculous $150 as an accessory.

Then again some cars today actually have dry sumps and dipsticks are useless.

Considering that Alfa also requires 15 min engine run while measuring tells me that dipstick would be inaccurate in reading to start with (they measure levels with quite some oil pulled into the engine...)

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
That was my first guess. Adjusting the tire pressure is part of the dealer PDI. Pre-Dealer Inspection.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Ok , I looked hru manual and cannot find how to access the tpms screen. help would be appreciated. Thanks
With engine running or,
with engine off in accessory mode (to go into accessory mode, tap start button without pressing brake):

- Turn on Infotainment center (press and hold the small volume knob about three second).
- Press the 'Menu' button.
- Select 'App' ICON on screen by rotating the big round knob then pressing the big round knob.
- Now select the 'My Car' ICON using the big round knob.
- Select 'Tires'.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
I would recommend checking your tire pressures screen when you take delivery.
I checked mine a few days after and WOW - the fronts were 59 each.
I then checked them with a gauge and they were indeed at 59.
I notified my dealer telling them their mechanics should make sure to check the tire pressures upon receipt/delivery inspection - hopefully they now are.

I didn't post this earlier as I figured mine may be a one-off and dealers should really be checking tire pressures as well, but I saw a few posts today stating they had overinflated tires as well.

Mine is a QV.
Silly question, but mine are in bar for the unit of measurement? Just collected the car today, played around in the menu.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Silly question, but mine are in bar for the unit of measurement? Just collected the car today, played around in the menu.
If you prefer PSI or miles vs Kilometer, that's all adjustable through the Infotainment Center.

Reactions: Max

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,729 Posts
Does anyone know why the base/ti don't get a dipstick? What's the reasoning behind it?
My guess is that AR feels obliged to have an electronic oil level sensor because Merc, BMW, and Audi have it and with that the dipstick becomes an extra cost. Thus, it is to save $10 on the cost of the car. I would much rather have a dipstick and no electronic oil level sensor. When did you last encounter a failed dipstick?

1 - 20 of 44 Posts