Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Rosso Competizione Stelvio Ti Sport Nero Edizione
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody else noticed tiny, hairline cracks developing on their infotainment screen? This is a troubling new development that I discovered yesterday when the display looked like it was fuzzy.
It doesn't show up well in the photos, but these are teeny tiny cracks on the screen. Ugh!

Attachments

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Has anybody else noticed tiny, hairline cracks developing on their infotainment screen? This is a troubling new development that I discovered yesterday when the display looked like it was fuzzy.
It doesn't show up well in the photos, but these are teeny tiny cracks on the screen. Ugh!
There are a couple of other posts someplace on the forum reporting the same problem.

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
6,057 Posts
They almost look like the kind of scratches that occur when acrylic is cleaned with something harsh.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not that

They almost look like the kind of scratches that occur when acrylic is cleaned with something harsh.
In my case, that is not the case. It's hard to tell from the pictures, but they are not scratches. They are tiny cracks in the plastic of the screen.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Under what title?

There are a couple of other posts someplace on the forum reporting the same problem.
I suspected that there might be, but I could not find them. Do you know what terms they used in the other threads so that I can find them? I'd like to see what other people are saying.
Thanks @wingler

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
I suspected that there might be, but I could not find them. Do you know what terms they used in the other threads so that I can find them? I'd like to see what other people are saying.
Thanks @wingler
No, sorry, otherwise I would have posted a link. But seen them in the last 30 days.

·
Registered
2017 Vesuvio Grey Giulia Ti Q2
400 Posts
Reactions: ChiGuy

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
70 Posts
I'm having the same issue with my infotainment screen. Mine started very early on. They are definitely small cracks.

·
Registered
400 Posts
I'll mention it to my dealer when I take it in for the recall and see what they have to say. At least get it rolling because I have a feeling it will take a while .......

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
I think I posted it in a different thread, but the effect is called 'crazing' and it's an issue that can affect plastic; especially acrylics. Should be something the dealer can replace, as I doubt it's the screen but rather a cover in front of it.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I think I posted it in a different thread, but the effect is called 'crazing' and it's an issue that can affect plastic; especially acrylics. Should be something the dealer can replace, as I doubt it's the screen but rather a cover in front of it.

I don't believe the "cover" is removable... the assembly comes from Magnetti Marelli and uses their "optical bonding" process to glue/laminate the plastic exterior cover lens to the screen.

·
Registered
3 Posts
So I had my screen replaced for the same reason about 3 weeks ago here in Austin, TX. I always garage my car even at work so I was surprised to see this type of defect.

It took my local dealership 3 weeks to get my car back to me (no I am not trolling) so I got Alfa Cares involved and they provide me with compensation.

All is well now and white lighting is back in her stable.

·
Registered
316 Posts
So I had my screen replaced for the same reason about 3 weeks ago here in Austin, TX. I always garage my car even at work so I was surprised to see this type of defect.

It took my local dealership 3 weeks to get my car back to me (no I am not trolling) so I got Alfa Cares involved and they provide me with compensation.

Did they figure out what caused it?

·
Registered
400 Posts
Did they figure out what caused it?
This is what I'm worried about . It seems to be a manufacturing flaw and if they haven't as of yet identified / corrected it then the replacement will have the same issue.

·
Registered
400 Posts

Im interested to see what my dealer will say about it. I'm in Dallas and my car also lives in a garage. Maybe happens in hotter areas ?

Did they replace the entire infotainment module? I'm kind of hoping so as I'm dreaming of Apple CarPlay in my 17 ha ha.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Sometimes solvents used in the manufacturing process can cause crazing, but the common cause is as follows:

"Acrylic that suddenly changes in appearance like this is due to a chemical reaction. Acrylic is a product that is made from fossil fuels. When it comes in contact with a high viscosity chemical such as most household cleaning agents, paint fumes, hair dye, toe polish remover, denatured alcohol or any CFC based compressed can fumes this will cause the acrylic to stress and if the chemical is in direct contact with the acrylic it could cause it to crack or have a pealing effect."

(source: https://coralvue.com/support/693667-Acrylic-crazing-or-cracking)

Don't use any kind of alcohol, or glass cleaning products that have alcohol in them. I only use cleaning sprays that are safe for computer screens, or TV LCD or LED screens. Unless there's dirt or grease on your screen, which shouldn't be an issue since our screens are thankfully not touch-screens, just a damp cloth with water should be sufficient to clean dust away.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts