Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been debating back and forth between the Ti with sport pack or the QV. Is the QV really worth the extra $30K?
I had the opportunity of driving the Ti and QV, back to back. There is a big difference between the cars, and it's more than just the extra power.

First I drove the Ti. I was very impressed by the overall layout and driving positing. The sport seats are very comfortable and adjustable to fit anybody. As other reviewers have noted, I do think some of the interior materials look "cheap". The lower door panels and top of the dashboard look like they belong in a Kia. I like the display screen nicely integrated into the dash, not like some Ipad just dropped on the dash... very slick. The drive was very good; responsive acceleration, good power, excellent steering and sporty suspension. The ride was soft, but controlled. I noticed very little lag. There was a slight hesitancy on downshifts, but I think this affects most auto transmissions. All in all a very good, sporty car that is a great DD. I would have been very happy with the Ti.

Unfortunately, I then drove the QV. It blew the Ti away.
On approach, QV looks more muscular and lower to the ground. The front fascia and splitter give it an ominous look. The interior is obviously very similar, but improved. The dash is leather-wrapped and really changes the feel of the cabin. The contrast stitching, extensive CF and alcantara make a big difference. The alcantara seat inserts are very comfortable and keep your back side firmly in place. This QV had the regular seats, which are excellent. There is a distinct growl upon pressing the red ignition button. There is obviously waaay more power in the OV, but that was not all. The feel is very different. The suspension is tighter. The steering sharper. I drove the same route with both cars, for a good comparison. I felt more confidence in the QV, carying more speed into the turns. Very well planted, flat and no drama coming out of the corners. The Ti felt more "floaty". I drove in the multiple settings (except race mode, since I was not allowed:frown2:). The "N" mode in the QV feels like the "D" mode in the TI. The "D" moI've been debating back and forth between the Ti with sport pack or the QV. Is the QV really worth the extra $30K?
I had the opportunity of driving the Ti and QV, back to back. There is a big difference between the cars, and it's more than just the extra power.

First I drove the Ti. I was very impressed by the overall layout and driving positing. The sport seats are very comfortable and adjustable tofit anybody. As other reviewers have noted, I do think some of the interior materialslook "cheap". The lower door panels and top of the dashboard look like they belong ina Kia. I like the display screen nicely integrated into the dash, not like some Ipadjust dropped on the dash... very slick. Thedrive was very good; responsive acceleration, good power, excellent steering and sporty suspension. The ride was soft, but controlled. I noticed very little lag. There wasa slight hesitancy on downshifts, but I think this affects most auto transmissions. All in all a very good, sporty car that is a great DD. I would have been very happy with the Ti.

Unfortunately, I then drove the QV. It blew the Ti away.
On approach, QV looks more muscular and lower to the ground. The front fasciaand splitter give it an ominous look. The interior is obviously very similar, but improved. The dash is leather-wrapped and really changes the feel of the cabin. The contrast stitching, extensive CF and alcantaramake a big difference. The alcantaraseat inserts are very comfortable and keep your back side firmly in place. This QV had the regular seats, which are excellent.There is a distinct growl upon pressing the red ignition button. There is obviously waaaymore power in the OV, but that was not all. The feel is very different. The suspension is tighter. The steering sharper. I drove the same route with both cars, for a good comparison. I felt more confidence in the QV, caryingmore speed into the turns. Very well planted, flat and no
de is the perfect daily mode for the QV, though I wish the exhaust note of the "R" mode was available. I was allowed to rev the car in"R" mode, and the beast really comes alive. It also brakes better. Even with the standard iron Brembos.

So is the QV worth the extra cash?? **** yes!! But with one caveat. I will spec a "base" QV in the $75K range. It is an excellent car as is. One can add all the goodies, like CC brakes and Sparcos, but that takes the price close to $90K. That is too much for this car.

My advice. If you can afford it, go for the QV and don't look back! Don't test drive it unless you want to pay up.:wink2:

Just my 2 cents, of course.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Thanks for the write up. My dealer offered me a test drive in a QV and I turned them down because my budget doesn't run to QV numbers and I was pretty sure I would have to have one after driving it. The noise alone has to be worth an extra 10k?

·
Registered
526 Posts
Thanks for the write up. My dealer offered me a test drive in a QV and I turned them down because my budget doesn't run to QV numbers and I was pretty sure I would have to have one after driving it. The noise alone has to be worth an extra 10k?
Very smart move, and for the record, I think the sound could be worth at least $15k extra!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Yea if you have the money to afford the QV go for it.
If not best thing to do is get the Ti w/optional summer tires(no cost option w/ staggered setup) or upgrade them yourself because the stock run flats are limiting the car's ability for sure. The QV comes with Pirelli Corsas stock, which contributes to its overall performance quite a bit too.

As far as exhaust note, you can upgrade your exhaust once parts become available, but the Ti ain't toppin QV's Ferrari-derived engine no matter what you do to it;)

·
Super Moderator
1,086 Posts
The Quadrofoglio is the new and improved ultimate driving machine ;)

Has there been any media outlet that has not rated the car #1 across all metrics?

·
Registered
59 Posts
I agree the standard Ti dash seems a bit pedestrian. However, the Ti Lusso has the leather wrapped dash and upper door panels, and it is a $995 option available for non-Lusso Ti's. It does not have the red or white/green contrast stitching, but I'm pretty sure if you go with the black/tan leather interior the leather uppers have tan contrast stitching. That option can dress up the Ti interior so that it is more or less on par with the QV (minus the red start button), but nothing is going to make up for the extra 225 hp.

Reactions: mc3456

·
Registered
75 Posts
Sorry but I don't get it, I went and examine every single car in the mid-size premium segment, and the dashboard plastic seems at least on par with the new Audi A4, better than those used in Jaguar XE and BMW 3 series.
I agree that the lower door panel plastic is hard and not soft-touch but I've seen a similar choice from some other premium and luxury cars like the new Audi Q5 and the new Audi Q7.
What I would criticise is the door pockets lack of lining.
By the way Stelvio use a different type of plastic for lower door panels, lining for door pockets and arm rest box, let's see if those improvements make it to Giulia MY 2018.
You could have a full grain leather wrapped interior even in Giulia TI with the Lusso package.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
I drove in the multiple settings (except race mode, since I was not allowed:frown2:).
You missed the best part of its performance and sound!:grin2:

The car is just awesome, I am ordering mine in its very basic form....... except RC since I am going to splurge on the color......

·
Registered
59 Posts
The Giulia plastic dash might be equivalent to base Audi, Jag and BMW dashes but it is markedly inferior to the Cadillac ATS.

The ATS dash is plastic too, but it has a very realistic looking leather texture and even has very convincing faux stitching on it. It looks just like leather but I bet it wears better. Plus, if you check the corner swoops, you can see it looks like it was stitched together with some fake Alcantara-like material. Cadillac always gets abuse for its interior, but I cannot for the life of me figure out why (CUE excepted). I am going to have to get the Giulia leather package upgrade just to keep standards up. Just being picky, I also don't like the fact that the Giulia also only has one option of a grey headliner regardless of color combination. I would prefer a black headliner.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You missed the best part of its performance and sound!:grin2:

The car is just awesome, I am ordering mine in its very basic form....... except RC since I am going to splurge on the color......

Agreed! I'm doing the RC and 5 hole wheels. That's it

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Agreed! I'm doing the RC and 5 hole wheels. That's it
Yes, dark 5 hole for mine too..... we are going to have twin cars except that yours will arrive first..... cheers

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Im still not clear on why everyone is ordering the 5 holes wheels when the Tecnico are cheaper AND forged.
Hmmmmmm....I got to look into that..... thanks for the info.....

·
Registered
2 Posts
Excellent post OP. I'd love to be with you. But currently leasing places the QV in the ballpark of a GT-R. That's tought to pass on in my book. But who knows what end of year pricing may bring. And I already have a V-8 RWD. Good problems to have.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts