Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to make a buy decision and need some opinions. My wife tells me that I won't get to the grocery store any quicker (½ mile away) with a car that goes 191mph vs. one that goes 149mph. So I am trying to make the case that the Quad will be a less costly option over the life of the car given it should have a higher resale value 15 years down the road. I am assuming that I may live another 15 years (some may question this as I am already old), and that I will only put about 6k miles/year on the car.

My logic goes like this: one could have purchased a 60's Giulia TI, or for a tad more purchased a Giula TI Super. The difference in value today is astounding. Same, but to a lesser extent, with a Giulietta Spider vs. a Spider Veloce.

Will this pattern repeat for the current Giulia TI vs. the Quad? Is 15 years enough to make the case? I don't think the 164Q has done all that much better than a 164LS, for example. I know I will also need to make an assumption on how the $40k I saved by buying the TI will be invested in order to compare apples to apples.

At any rate, I would like to hear what you all think. Is the current Giulia going to be a "throw away" car like so many today? (And why does the spell checker on the Giulia Forum website always tell me that Giulia is not a valid word?):smile2:

·
Registered
440 Posts
If money isn't a factor, buy the quad and enjoy it. Don't look back.

That said, your wife certainly has a point. A base/ti is plenty fun for the street.

Trying to rationalize buying a quad will be a tough battle. Though you could smoke the tires all the way to the grocery store >:)

What has your car history been like? Do you see yourself doing any driver education events?

·
Registered
693 Posts
I’m afraid it’s going to be 30 years before the QV will appreciate in value, and even then, sedans generally are not top collector cars. On the other hand if the car world goes 100% electric in 5 years, it might be one of the last great motorcars ;)
In my mind, the only way to justify a QV over a TI is that it will give you more pleasure to own it and drive it.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Well you’ll certainly get to the grocery store quicker with a 0-60 of 3.6’s vs. 5.1:D

Well it’s not all about HP and bigger brakes etc. it really depends on what you want and are looking for. The QV on paper and in many many reviews is considered one of the best sports sedans ever made. You don’t get too many cars that reach that level of praise especially considering the competition out there. That in no way detracts from the base models. If you look under the skin even the base car’s suspension components are beefier and a more impressive setup than many so called sports cars. All of them were built to make drivers happy... and RWD to boot.

For me I was set to get a Q4, and even took a look at he Stelvio too, to make my life easier here in NY with AWD for all weather but saw a comp red QV and the dealer fatefully asked “hey you want to hear the engine?”...that was a costly mistake. All the Giulia’s and Stelvios are really nice cars. I like and would have been very happy with them had they not dropped that **** Ferrari derived v6tt in the front under that luscious carbon fiber hood...

As to cost... after you bake in the increased initial cost and a bigger lump of money to depreciate the service on the QV will be more costly. The first service is free on all of these cars but the QV’s second I’ve hear is between $350-400 and the third service at 30k is $2k because of a really labor intensive belt change, 8 hours alone for the belt. I don’t know what the 2.0 Giulia’s 30k service runs but probably less than a third of that?

Brakes too will be way more expensive for pad replacement and rotors as well if they get warped etc. If costs are a concern don’t even think of the carbon ceramics. Anyone with Porsche’s can tell you those things not only initially cost a bundle the pads and rotors are much more specialized and cost way more as well.

Also gas costs are undoubtedly going to be more on the QV, especially if you keep your foot in it...500+ ponies need to be fed when ridden hard...

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
sorry, you are looking at this all wrong.
the time value of money is quite irrelevant (assuming you have some), in your situation you should be considering the time value of life.
assuming you don't get overindulgent and turn a fast car into a wad of metal, if you are going to get more enjoyment out of it it's worth every penny, and who cares about the resale?
and if you get a big kick out of it you just may live a little longer too.
the life of the car? it should outlast you, what more could you want?

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,788 Posts
While buying a used Quad or Ti would probably make the most financial sense, lost1750GTV is correct that there is a cost to waiting.

Reactions: John_K_348

·
Registered
125 Posts
If you ever have watched chasing classic cars, you've seen the wife or kids selling dads beloved car wrapped under a tarp and saying how he loved that car. Then they sell it.

That said, 2k at 30k. Hmm.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Seems like an argument about rational versus emotional purchases. The Quad costs more in many ways, it also provides more joy. The Quad is an emotional buy. It’s the one you want; go get it. Life’s short. ?

·
Registered
422 Posts
Both are great. I love my Quadrifoglio and you will love whichever car you get. The Quadrifoglio is THIRSTY though! When I was shopping I was really just looking for an involving and capable chassis. I had no idea how much I would love this engine. It is a smooth monster. I vote Quadrifoglio and you won’t regret it.

·
Registered
68 Posts
going by the massive depreciation my quad has already accumulated after only 500 miles...don't count on resale helping you out at any point in time.

i am getting awful mileage so far. however, i tend to keep it in dynamic or race. ive been getting maybe 15mpg.

that being said, if you can afford the quad, get it. you won't be disappointed. my 6 mile drive to work is exciting AF compared to my GTI daily driver.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Sounds to me like you need to buy a ti. These things are matters of the heart. Either you have the funds to cough it up and not think twice about the extra 10s of thousands you dropped for intangibles OR you repent the 10s that could have been 100s had you invested it wisely over said decades. The latter people will never be happy in that mindset. Nothing wrong with it but it’s not the sort of end user a car like the Alfa was intended for, either models. Both cars are incredible and neither are the practical choice given everything we love and wish was better about the car/brand and it’s infancy back into this shore. Honda on the hand, fits that bill.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I test drove the TI and QV and both are great cars. I brought home a QV a few weeks ago and it is even better than everything I had read/researched before buying. The QV is a much different car and will be as comfortable on the track as it is on the street. It really depends on what you want, if you are looking for high performance capabilities go with the QV and you will not regret it.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
sorry, you are looking at this all wrong.
the time value of money is quite irrelevant (assuming you have some), in your situation you should be considering the time value of life.
assuming you don't get overindulgent and turn a fast car into a wad of metal, if you are going to get more enjoyment out of it it's worth every penny, and who cares about the resale?
and if you get a big kick out of it you just may live a little longer too.
the life of the car? it should outlast you, what more could you want?
I can tell this is how you justified to your wife ordering the Stelvio QV instead of the regular Stelvio.......:grin2:

Good points.....

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Lots of good input. Seems the message is -- don't try to financially justify it. I will most certainly be very pleased with a TI. My two prior TIs did not disappoint ('62 Giulietta and '69 Giulia).

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
"justified to your wife"

hmm, didn't even have to go through all that, perhaps she just knew?

I did have to point out the 3 cylinder economy mode, and the soft setting on an already compliant suspension (she did not like M cars that she tested), and that with the 4 modes it would suit both our purposes.
and she got to pick the interior and paint, although we would both prefer the "lesser" lusso with light wood.

·
Registered
619 Posts
jimmy,

I would vote for the qv as well. I love mine but like others have said, she is thirsty (I drive it only in race mode and my 12 cylander Ferrari gets better fuel mileage), she will melt tires every 10k miles (at best), first coast is higher and service costs are higher.

now, independent of the foregoing, I simply adore this car. the looks, the interest, the drive...of the drive!!!! it is the fastest car I have ever driven (short of a formula atlantic car). I cannot wait to find an excuse to drive it this morning.

the price delta of a new ti w/ q2 option, tri-coat paint, sun-roof etc...will be close enough to the price of a low mileage qv w/ warranty to at least give it some real thought! if you do get a ti however, get the staggered 5 hole wheel package. looks a bit more purposeful than the "square wheel width config.

good luck!!!

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
"fastest car"
coming from a guy with a BB, which was certainly fast enough, big or little engine.
beautiful car.
It is astonishing how fast cars have gotten the last decade. It’s hard to believe that cars in the 5.0s 0-60 range and quarters in the 13’s were considered blazing fast and now are yawn worthy. It’s also crazy that we’re really pushing up to the limit of tire adhesion and all the quickest super cars and drag oriented street machines are hitting a wall at the 2 second mark to the point that rollout becomes so critical to the times...

·
Registered
74 Posts
Some of you must have more open road or start/stop than I do on my commute. I'm averaging 18.5 - 19 mpg using only Race mode. But I only have a couple of stop lights and a 5 mile stretch of flat highway that is typically too crowded to go more than 90.

But that one on-ramp...

1 - 20 of 33 Posts