Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys! I’ve been lurking the forum for a while and now I’m finally looking to buy a 2020 Giulia. I did my research on the options and it looks like I’m down to deciding between an AWD or an RWD with the performance package. Both would be the Ti Sport trim, and preferably have the leather package as well (though the AWD options don’t seem to have this)

I plan to drive the car in the Seattle area soon, so AWD seems appealing in a “be prepared for everything” sense. However, dealers in my area only have RWD options so it’ll have to be an out of state order if I pick the AWD.

Does anyone have any inputs on this? Any personal experiences?

·
Registered
603 Posts
Id get awd if i lived there. I like the q2 in south florida precisely because its so loose around here.

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
I’d not skip out on the leather option, it takes the car to another level of interior elegance.

·
Registered
2018 Giulia Ti
220 Posts
Leather package would be a must for me, it’s the one option that changes the interior. I have a Ti Sport awd and personally I wouldn’t let awd/rwd pass on a car that had everything else I wanted, being in south Miss. I can say that maybe you can’t.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I’m UK based with rwd and love it - car doesn’t feel like it needs awd at all. If you’re planning on doing drag strip runs get the q4, otherwise stick with rwd. The chassis is superbly balanced and doesn’t need the extra grip or weight (all imo of course).

·
Vendor
2,175 Posts
CA AWD! Go for the AWD, get the leather package, performance package, maybe in performance headlight and you are set, Skip the sunroof too. Staggered wheels too.

I love mine except I don't have the performance package. Oh well, it' still awesome for a 2.0L.

·
Registered
2018 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
394 Posts
The performance package is harder to find on 2020 AWD models around me than the leather package. If you look hard enough, you will find the exact car you want (or pretty darn close).

·
Registered
128 Posts
Write up your pros and cons and make a decision based on those and your priorities. AWD sits a little higher; weighs a little more and has a bit more friction in the drive train, both of which lower fuel mileage; more complication and more chance for things to go wrong. On the other hand the AWD provides better traction in all cases so acceleration is actually better; the control of the AWD system is apparently so seamless it is completely unobtrusive; and of course it provides a lot better odds of getting you there in deep snow or ice, given the correct tires. Seattle rarely gets snow but going up to any of the local passes can be real dicey. So it depends, as always, on what you need the car to do and what makes you the most comfortable. I live in snow country but have a RWD because I value the better fuel economy and the greater simplicity over the increased security of AWD. I have a 4WD for when the snow is deep. If that were not the case, and the Giulia was my only vehicle, yes I would definitely go for the AWD. A Giulia of any stripe is better than not having one at all.

·
Registered
623 Posts
I think RWD Giula with decent winter / all season tires is completely capable of dealing with winter conditions in urban or suburban areas. If you want to be prepared for everything a Giulia is not the right car 🙂

·
Registered
552 Posts
I'd recommend the HK sound system option as well. (Disclaimer:I havent heard the 'standard' speakers). And yes, leather option is very nice.

I have a Q2 with said options (and some others). I suspect you would be better served with a Q4.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2019 Vulcano Black Q2
10 Posts
I live in the Seattle area and had a 2017 Q4 and now a 2019 Q2. If you're going to be heading into the mountains in the winter Q4 makes sense, otherwise the Q2 is fine. I have the leather package on my Q2 which is a big improvement over the Q4 which didn't have it.

·
Registered
1987 Milano Platinum
73 Posts
If you look hard enough, you will find the exact car you want (or pretty darn close).
I wish it were true! I've never felt so much like an automotive salmon as when trying to find "my" Giulia on a lot. Out of 300-some-odd 2020s displayed in the inventory search, literally 80%+ had the blackout package (which I didn't want), 90%+ were painted in grayscale (which I didn't want), yet only about 5% had the performance package (which I did want). I had to do a factory order --and now I wait.

·
Registered
‘19 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,646 Posts
@skywalker23 I'd suggest driving both Q4 and RWD if you can. In my experience test driving RWDs and owning Q4s, I'd say that depending on you drive, you may notice the action of the stability and traction control systems as more aggressive or intrusive in the RWD cars, as they work to control the car without the benefit of front wheel traction.

That said, I've driven RWD in the snow here, and I agree with above comment that it's totally capable, and probably exceptionally so when fitted with the Q2 spec and winter tires. For Seattle conditions, though, snow is not the issue so much as the wet, but the same basic rules apply since the issue is limited available traction. Personally, I'd not worry about it if you drive reasonably, but if you like to get after it, there's no denying the enhanced performance capability of AWD.

In the end, I'll again say that you should drive each format, because they definitely behave different when pushed.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I’d not skip out on the leather option, it takes the car to another level of interior elegance.
Agreed but I'd go even further. Not having the leather interior option makes the interior worse than mediocre and not worthy of the price of the car.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I have a RWD with performance pack and live in Toronto Canada. Car is very good in the snow. Purchased a winter wheel and tire set up. We don’t get a lot of accumulation, ground clearance is my only concern. I did not compare the RWD and AWD, but had an Audi years ago and didn’t like the heavy steering and front end feel. The RWD Giulia just feels so light and responsive.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I’m in the cascade foothills near Seattle with Q2 and it’s been perfect for me in all conditions. We had a few days with a foot of snow on the road but I didn’t see many AWD Giulias when I was out cruising in my wife’s Subaru.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts