Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did try the search function and if this question has been asked and answered before, I could not find it!

I hope to get a RWD Giulia Ti with either the 18" or 19" sport package sometime by the end of summer. I was able to drive a car with the 19" sport package and was surprised by how good the ride quality was, and of course the handling is fantastic.

Unfortunately the dealer does not have a RWD car with the 18" sport package in stock, and won't until he locates one for me so my chance to test drive one does not look good. Usually I would go for the smaller wheels because of the ride and because the handling feels nimbler, but the way the 19" wheels felt has given me second thoughts. Has anyone driven both the 18" and 19" sport packages in the RWD Giulia Ti, and if so could you feel much difference? I am having trouble finding a car I like with the 19s, but found an 18" example that might work.

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
not answering your question but I have the Q4 with 18"'s and Eagle f1's and it has excellent handling on and off the track. Hope that helps you make your decision :)

·
Registered
343 Posts
I have a Ti with the 19" Sports package. As you know from test driving one, it drives great. In my opinion, I think the 19" 5-hole wheels are much better looking than those that come with the 18" spots package. So, keep that in mind, that the wheels are not the same style.

·
Registered
2017 Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio
953 Posts
You should feel a difference between both as the 18 inch would have less rotational mass vs the 19. It may offer a slight increase in throttle and brake response. However, there is no question, the 19 inch 5 hole is the better looker. The rims are just gorgeous!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Took my initial test drive when these beauties first became available for sale here in El Paso on April 6, 2017. That was a Q2 TI with 19" wheels. However, I put a down payment on a Q4 with 18" wheels. I did this not because I minded the 19" wheels, but because the 18" model was the next production car allocated to our dealer that was to our liking.

My Q4 only having arrived last Thursday (6 days ago), I haven't driven aggressively in it yet, but I've got almost 400 miles on it now.

My impressions: based on "normal" city and highway driving, I don't see much of a difference in ride comfort at all between the two wheels. I don't perceive much difference in handling either,
though I am thinking more aggressive driving may reveal differences in handling.

Having said that, I echo others' statements that the run-flats are probably the first thing I'll replace. I think better handling can be achieved with another choice of tires.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
I did try the search function and if this question has been asked and answered before, I could not find it!

I hope to get a RWD Giulia Ti with either the 18" or 19" sport package sometime by the end of summer. I was able to drive a car with the 19" sport package and was surprised by how good the ride quality was, and of course the handling is fantastic.

Unfortunately the dealer does not have a RWD car with the 18" sport package in stock, and won't until he locates one for me so my chance to test drive one does not look good. Usually I would go for the smaller wheels because of the ride and because the handling feels nimbler, but the way the 19" wheels felt has given me second thoughts. Has anyone driven both the 18" and 19" sport packages in the RWD Giulia Ti, and if so could you feel much difference? I am having trouble finding a car I like with the 19s, but found an 18" example that might work.
I have a Ti Q2. It came with 18x8 wheels. I put on four 19x9 wheels (dark 5-hole) with 255/35x19 tires. It rides fine. I only have about 60 miles on the new wheels though. I think one of my front tires rubbed a bit on a bump though :( But it looks so good, the wheel wells are filled out perfect.

What you really should consider is the Ti Performance Package. It includes a Limited Slip Differential, active suspension and paddle shifters. I've driven Ti's with and without the Q2 package and the Q2 really drives so much better in Dynamic mode than the non-Q2.

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,953 Posts
I have a Ti Q2. It came with 18x8 wheels. I put on four 19x9 wheels (dark 5-hole) with 255/35x19 tires. It rides fine. I only have about 60 miles on the new wheels though. I think one of my front tires rubbed a bit on a bump though :( But it looks so good, the wheel wells are filled out perfect.

What you really should consider is the Ti Performance Package. It includes a Limited Slip Differential, active suspension and paddle shifters. I've driven Ti's with and without the Q2 package and the Q2 really drives so much better in Dynamic mode than the non-Q2.
Keep us informed regarding rubbing. I am considering the same setup. I guess the "right" way to test clearance is to jack the car up, use straps to compress the suspension in a controlled fashion and swing the wheel back and forth at various suspension heights. Sometimes it is possible to gain a little space by heat bending the wheel well. Some clearance is required since things can move a little more in use than this test indicates.

Is there any chance that you weighed the rims? If not, how about weighing assembled 18" and 19" wheels? Yeah, I know the 9" width adds weight independent of other factors.

According to Tirerack there should be very little observable performance difference between 225 40R19 and 225 45R18 rims/tires. As the profile (more correctly, the sidewall height) goes to higher numbers handling/grip degradation and ride softening will become more apparent.

Of course if you go to wider tires you are on your own to determine the best inflation pressure.

I wholeheartedly agree with the already posted comments that the 19" 5 hole rims are simply the best looking offering available from Alfa for Giulia. They *look* light (I have no idea if they are actually light) and they really complement the overall appearance of the car.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Keep us informed regarding rubbing. I am considering the same setup. I guess the "right" way to test clearance is to jack the car up, use straps to compress the suspension in a controlled fashion and swing the wheel back and forth at various suspension heights. Sometimes it is possible to gain a little space by heat bending the wheel well. Some clearance is required since things can move a little more in use than this test indicates.

Is there any chance that you weighed the rims? If not, how about weighing assembled 18" and 19" wheels? Yeah, I know the 9" width adds weight independent of other factors.

According to Tirerack there should be very little observable performance difference between 225 40R19 and 225 45R18 rims/tires. As the profile (more correctly, the sidewall height) goes to higher numbers handling/grip degradation and ride softening will become more apparent.

Of course if you go to wider tires you are on your own to determine the best inflation pressure.

I wholeheartedly agree with the already posted comments that the 19" 5 hole rims are simply the best looking offering available from Alfa for Giulia. They *look* light (I have no idea if they are actually light) and they really complement the overall appearance of the car.
It never occurred to me to weigh the wheel before I mounted tires. I can weigh the two mounted wheels, but we already know the larger set will weigh more.

Or will it? The run-flat tire might have anchor like properties.

I'm almost ready to do a write-up on this wheel set now that I finally have all the part numbers. I've got some good pictures too. (tease tease)

·
Registered
7,953 Posts
It never occurred to me to weigh the wheel before I mounted tires. I can weigh the two mounted wheels, but we already know the larger set will weigh more.

Or will it? The run-flat tire might have anchor like properties.

I'm almost ready to do a write-up on this wheel set now that I finally have all the part numbers. I've got some good pictures too. (tease tease)
Tirerack.com is your friend, they list the weights of almost all the tires that they carry and they carry a lot of tires.

Looking over a few listings I see that 255 35R19 tire weights range from about 23 to 28 pounds, but that run flat versus non run flat tires have a minimal weight difference for the same "model". In the case of tires with very similar performance it is probably in your best interest to choose the lighter tire, but I don't know. I am not sure why there is quite so much variability in weights. The tires do have slightly different overall widths and tread depths, but the tire weight variations did not seem to correlate.

225 40R19 tires appear to show less weight variability, being in the 20-22 pound range. A jump from a 20 pound tire to a 28 pound tire assuming the same rim weight is probably enough to notice and cause problems with wheel skip on uneven roads.

Another thing you can get from the tirerack specs is the tread width and overall width. A 245 with "wide" tread width might be a better fit than a 255 with "narrow" tread width. Selecting only from 255s with the narrowest overall width might be wise for this fitment.

Anyway, weigh the assembled wheels, look up the expected tire weight of the mounted tire on tirerack.com and the difference should be reasonably close to the weight of the rim. We already know that the lightest rims for a Giulia that will take your tires are the Tecnico 19x8.5 inchers designed for the front of a Quadrifoglio. I don't like the look of those rims as much as the 19" 5 holes, and I think someone reported having had bent one I think in a pothole; a rim can be "too" light.

If the unsprung weight is changed by a lot the spring and damping rate needs to be adjusted to compensate (stiffer for more weight) or take advantage (more compliant for less weight). Maybe a set of titanium studs is in order to shave a 1/2 pound per wheel (my best guess) or so.

Just eyeballing it I suspect that the 18x8 rims are heavier than the 19x9 rims. I suspect that the 19x9 rims are made from stronger alloy, accounting for the higher price and the appearance of being lighter.

Some irrelevant tire weights for your entertainment:

245 70R19.5 MT totally overkill load range H tire used on my truck: 84 pounds
700C x 23mm clincher tire used on my daily driver: 0.5 lbs.

·
Registered
7,953 Posts
Also, looking over the specs on Tirerack it appears that there is good reason why a high percentage of Giulia forum members report preferring Michelin Pilot XXX tires: best traction, wear rate, reasonable weight, widest tread. Made in the USA. High-ish price seems to be the only significant downside, but the low wear rate may make the cost per mile better than most or all of the competition. Michelin Pilot 4S (I believe a new upgrade for the 2S) for summer @ 24 pounds for the 255 width or Michelin Pilot A/S for all season @ 26 pounds for the 255 width. I didn't see an aggressive winter version.

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,799 Posts
Also, looking over the specs on Tirerack it appears that there is good reason why a high percentage of Giulia forum members report preferring Michelin Pilot XXX tires: best traction, wear rate, reasonable weight, widest tread. Made in the USA. High-ish price seems to be the only significant downside, but the low wear rate may make the cost per mile better than most or all of the competition. Michelin Pilot 4S (I believe a new upgrade for the 2S) for summer @ 24 pounds for the 255 width or Michelin Pilot A/S for all season @ 26 pounds for the 255 width. I didn't see an aggressive winter version.
I had a set of Pilot Alpins a few cars back and can see getting them for the Giulia. I might go with 18", especially if it will save money while still giving a good winter performance.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts