Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've complained several times about the lack of seat bottom angle adjustment on the Ti Sport seat. I thought I'll might get use to it, but no matter what I've tried, the seat bottom just felt flat, offered no support and felt uncomfortable even after a short drive, so I've decided to take matters into my own hands. I figured the easiest fix would be to somehow elevate the front of the seat rail to achieve a little bit more tilt.

If you decide to follow this please do it at your own risk, because I have no idea if it impacts the seat's performance in the event of a crash.

As a first step I had to get some tools. The seat rail is secured to the floor with four T50 torx bolts, so I've bought a Torx bit socket set on Amazon. Second step, I had to figured out the size of the original bolts. As it turns out the original bolts are M10-1.5x30mm metric bolts. I've looked on Amazon and find a seller who has a large selection of metric bolts. I've ordered some 45mm and 50mm bolts, but ended up using this 45mm bolt:

Then I went to HomeDepot and bought a slightly larger diameter log nut with a height of about 15mm. I spray painted the lug nut so it blends in with the black seat rail. I removed the front two bolts and only loosened the rear two bolts. I slipped the lug nuts under the front of the seat rails and replaced the two original bolts in the front with 45mm long bolts. This way the front of my seat is now 15mm, or 0.6 inches higher than the original layout. It is a significant improvement!
The seat could probably use a little more tilt, but I didn't want the seat rail to be that much off the floor. I've been driving the car like this for over a week and I like it very much. The real fix would be to somehow add a tilt motor or combine the seat mechanism of the Lusso seat with the Ti Sport seat. I just find it weird how such an essential adjustment feature was omitted from a $40k+ automobile.

On the picture below you see the length of the original bolt, the replacement bolt, and the lug nut I've used as a spacer under the seat rail.
[/IMG]

The seat rail after the mod:
[/IMG]

[/IMG]

·
Registered
28 Posts
I've complained several times about the lack of seat bottom angle adjustment on the Ti Sport seat. I thought I'll might get use to it, but no matter what I've tried, the seat bottom just felt flat, offered no support and felt uncomfortable even after a short drive, so I've decided to take matters into my own hands. I figured the easiest fix would be to somehow elevate the front of the seat rail to achieve a little bit more tilt.

If you decide to follow this please do it at your own risk, because I have no idea if it impacts the seat's performance in the event of a crash.

As a first step I had to get some tools. The seat rail is secured to the floor with four T50 torx bolts, so I've bought a Torx bit socket set on Amazon. Second step, I had to figured out the size of the original bolts. As it turns out the original bolts are M10-1.5x30mm metric bolts. I've looked on Amazon and find a seller who has a large selection of metric bolts. I've ordered some 45mm and 50mm bolts, but ended up using this 45mm bolt:

Then I went to HomeDepot and bought a slightly larger diameter log nut with a height of about 15mm. I spray painted the lug nut so it blends in with the black seat rail. I removed the front two bolts and only loosened the rear two bolts. I slipped the lug nuts under the front of the seat rails and replaced the two original bolts in the front with 45mm long bolts. This way the front of my seat is now 15mm, or 0.6 inches higher than the original layout. It is a significant improvement!
The seat could probably use a little more tilt, but I didn't want the seat rail to be that much off the floor. I've been driving the car like this for over a week and I like it very much. The real fix would be to somehow add a tilt motor or combine the seat mechanism of the Lusso seat with the Ti Sport seat. I just find it weird how such an essential adjustment feature was omitted from a $40k+ automobile.

On the picture below you see the length of the original bolt, the replacement bolt, and the lug nut I've used as a spacer under the seat rail.
[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]
That is a clever idea. But I wish there was a way for the dealer to add that feature to seats that don’t have it. Has anyone found another solution??

·
Registered
2018 Giulia Quattroformaggio, 2020 Stelvio TI Sport
396 Posts
I've complained several times about the lack of seat bottom angle adjustment on the Ti Sport seat. I thought I'll might get use to it, but no matter what I've tried, the seat bottom just felt flat, offered no support and felt uncomfortable even after a short drive
100% agree. This was my only complaint about my wife's old TI Sport. What is an awesome seat is rendered uncomfortable due to the inability to tip the seat bottom back. Drove me nuts. My QF, thankfully, does not have this problem...

·
Registered
41 Posts

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]
Thank you Emozine! I couldn't agree with you more! The bottom seat cushion is way too flat, offering no support. I want to thank you, personally, for your post. Because of your post, I went down to ACE hardware and found everything I needed to fix my seat. The seating position is so much better! It's amazing how such a small modification can make such a huge difference!
I posted parts of this on another thread. Here is what I did:
I got 2 (two) 10 X 1.5 (thread pitch) X 60mm (length) (Thank you for supplying the 10X1.5 size, Emozine.) I figured I needed to lengthen the threads of the bolt dependent on how many spacers/collars/washers I was going to use to get the front of the seat to the height I wanted. Factory bolts are 10.9 (bolt strength, hardness.) and are 30mm long. (Thank you Emozine.) So, whatever the measured stack height of collar/spacer/washer, I was going to use to raise the front of the seat, in the interest of safety, I needed to increase the bolt length by at least that amount. I used (2) two 10mm thick collars to increase the space between the floor of the car and the bottom of the front seat rails, for a total of 20mm. ACE didn't have metric collars/spacers. The ones I found there were S.A.E., and they were close to being snug, however, they have a locking Allen screw to secure it onto the bolt and take up any slop. (And, in theory, with the Allen screw secured against the bolt, the bolt can't back out.) I used the two (2) M10X1.5X 60mm bolts, which have a 12.9 strength/hardness, just to be on the safe side. (Stock is 10.9, and these only cost .25 cents more.) The collars have 5mm of material on their flats for better weight distribution and support for the bottom of the seat rails and the vehicle floor. (There isn't enough material on the flat of a plain washer, at least in my way of thinking, there isn't. And, I didn't want a stack of washers. That would look jury-rigged to me.) This small modification made all the difference in the world to me! If you do this, you will need an M50 Torx bit to remove the factory bolts. (Thank you Emozine!) I also needed to loosen the rear seat bolts, before attempting to put in the spacers/collars/washers in place. I am glad I didn't take them all the way out. (Thanks again Emozine.) If I did, it would have been much harder to line up the front bolts and put in the collars. As it was, the seat just popped onto its rear haunches, when I pulled out the second bolt and gave me all the room I needed to place the collars on the new bolts. Before I made this modification, the seat had about zero support on my thighs, and it wasn't comfortable for me at all.
I haven't gotten around to it yet, because this small amount of seat height made it just about perfect for me, however, I might try adding another 5mm's and see if it is an improvement. (If I go any higher, I would try to source upgraded hardware so, all of the collars/spacers/washers/bolts would exceed Alfa's 10.9 hardware specification to 12.9... in both the front and the rear, even if it is overkill.) I realize for modification isn't for everyone, as this wouldn't work if there were several different drivers of different height/stature driving the car, but I am the only driver. Of course, changing something as critical as seat mounting could have catastrophic results in the event of an accident. So, take so your time, put some thought into it, and choose your hardware carefully! (And, I never suggested this, or even wrote it!) Do this at your own risk! And, thank Emozine for of all of the information he supplied and the specs on the bolts!
That is a clever idea. But I wish there was a way for the dealer to add that feature to seats that don’t have it. Has anyone found another solution??

·
Registered
620 Posts
I too found the seat a bit uncomfortable under my derriere for the first few months until it settled in. Now , almost a year later it is fine. I wouldn't be too quick to alter manufacturer specs in the seat area as there could be safety ramifications.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Can you repost the images from OP, I would love to get this MOD in! The 2020's have tilt adjustment ;) For those that have $$$ laying around, you can just swap the seat. Nothing on eBay yet :(

·
Registered
790 Posts
I would also love to see the pics from the OP.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm the OP, and for full disclosures I want to let you know that since the original post I have changed my seat back to the original configuration. While my modification made the seat much more comfortable, the seat developed an annoying creak, which was just too distracting to put up with. I am not entire sure if my modification was responsible for this, as there are people out there using similar modifications without any issues, but I personally did not wanted to deal with that any longer. I was able to have the creaking sorted out so everything is fine now in that regard. I agree however with Richardalfa above, that after using the car for a while the seat will settle in somewhat, or maybe I just get used to it, but now the it feels more comfortable. The best solution would be, however, if somehow could figure out how to add the 2020 model's tilt mechanism.

·
Registered
6,330 Posts
I have found that as my seat settled in it became less comfortable.

Anyway, it may be necessary to cut an angle on the top of the spacer so that it is not distorting the shape of the seat rails. A matching thin wedge may be required for the rear bolts as well.
This mod runs a chance of significantly reducing the strength of the attachment of the seat to the floor, compromising protection in the event of a crash.

The "right" way to do this is to tip up just the seat pan, either by altering the seat padding or by altering the seat somewhere above the height adjuster. The later (if it is possible) still runs a risk of reducing the strength of the seat, but the impact should be smaller.

·
Registered
2017 Giulia base Q4
36 Posts
I'm so happy I ran across this thread. I was thinking that same solution as I was driving home today and felt my leg bothering me because of the lack of height adjustment in the front of the seat pad. Or maybe I'm just getting old.
I'm going to try that also when I get a chance to get longer screws.
Btw I'm not able to see the pictures you posted. I don't know if anyone else is having this issue or just me.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Sorry, for replying on an old thread, but did anyone try to replace the seats completely with newer ones with tilting mechanism built in. Not sure if this is possible at all, but I would like to replace the regular leather seats for sports seats and it seems I need to find the latest model version.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
As long as you replace a LHD model with LHD newer model seats it should work as the motor for the tilt is built into the seat and takes power from the same airbag, seat connector at the bottom. You can't interchange RHD to LHD and vice versa as the power supplies and connectors are a bit different. If yours already has the electric seats with seat heating it's more straightforward otherwise you will need a new climate control console with the electric seat heating buttons and also a new clock spring , steering wheel with wheel heater button.

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
5,969 Posts
Can you repost the images from OP, I would love to get this MOD in! The 2020's have tilt adjustment ;) For those that have $$$ laying around, you can just swap the seat. Nothing on eBay yet :(
Swapping the car was easier.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts