Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 146 Posts

·
Registered
'17 Ti Sport Q4 w/ Active Shocks & LSD
806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With no launch control to cheat with, how are non-QV Giulia owners turning fast 0-60's and 1/4 mi times?

Gimme you thoughts on beating turbo-lag off the line with the 280HP 8 speed Auto. I have my ideas, but wanted feedback from all-y'all.

Thanks!

·
Registered
236 Posts
Great topic! I have this question too. My thought is to hold the brake pedal with left foot while revving then release brake to launch. Rev will likely be limited by the computer though. Haven't really got the chance to try this.

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,954 Posts
Dumb question: how hard is it to get the 0-60MPH time of 5.1 seconds claimed by Alfa? Since my driveway turns directly onto a 65 MPH speed limit road (no ramp) this is not an academic question.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Simple, switch to D and floor it, it goes like stink....AWD gets on and little 4 cylinder explodes....
I am forced to do this often on one merge on GW Parkway near Columbia Island Marina.....limit on GWP is 40 but traffic comes from right turn at 65 plus.....with limited sight line of what is coming from the corner I have to always floor it and Giulia accelerates to 70 so fast that the guy coming towards me doesn't have time to flash his lights, boom I am gone

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,808 Posts
Quicker in dynamic mode?

·
Registered
2017 Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio
953 Posts
Also since our cars do not have launch control you will need to do the following in order to achieve the quickest acceleration.

1) you cannot just simply slam the gas pedal because our cars are turbo and there is turbo lag. You need to spool the turbo first before launching.

2) Press the brake firmly with your left foot and press the gas pedal with your right foot to increase the RPM between 2.3 to 2.5 RMPs. Dont do this for too long as this creates excessive heat to your transmission fluid. So you have to do this very quickly. Once you are ready, let go of the brake, wait for the tires to grip (you feel this) then slam on your gas pedal. You dont want to invoke the traction control because it cannot be defeated in the base and TI versions. The point is you dont want any tire slippage as this will negate any forward movement and hurt your time.

·
Registered
7,808 Posts
Per the manual, the 5.1 is achieved with AWD while the RWD does 5.5 0-60. However, car review sites have posted similar numbers between AWD and RWD versions.
AWD is quicker? Apparently improved traction overcomes additional weight. And you really didn't answer my question whether the car is quicker when in dynamic mode.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Does the base/TI have the line lock feature like the Q?
Simple, switch to D and floor it, it goes like stink....AWD gets on and little 4 cylinder explodes....
I am forced to do this often on one merge on GW Parkway near Columbia Island Marina.....limit on GWP is 40 but traffic comes from right turn at 65 plus.....with limited sight line of what is coming from the corner I have to always floor it and Giulia accelerates to 70 so fast that the guy coming towards me doesn't have time to flash his lights, boom I am gone
Had the same experience while crossing the traffic on freeway, some people try to accelerate while we are crossing them, But if I see some one doing that, I hit the gas and Bye Bye.

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,954 Posts
What is the line lock feature? You mean the Lane keep assist?
Line lock allows you to lock the front brakes while running full throttle power to the rear wheels. It is used by drag racers to pre-heat tires for best traction. It is also used by show boaters to make a lot of smoke and noise. I don't think any model of Giulia has this feature. I don't think it provides a good means to improve acceleration, other than the extra traction from the warmed up tires. Best acceleration does not involve wheel spinning since traction drops off once the wheels start spinning.

If the car has enough power it is possible to do the tire warm up with out help from the front brakes. I don't think a non-QV Giulia has enough power, but I could be wrong. My brother's 1970 Charger could do it, but it had about 600 HP (not exactly stock!)

I don't think I would want to do any of this on my rather expensive driveway (a little triangular patch of pavement known as "an encroachment" 120 feet long by 35 feet wide cost $24k to construct, largely because the highway had to be under single lane control during the construction) before pulling onto the highway.

·
Registered
7,808 Posts
Had the same experience while crossing the traffic on freeway, some people try to accelerate while we are crossing them, But if I see some one doing that, I hit the gas and Bye Bye.
I call that Invoking Our Blessed Lady of Acceleration.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I decided to investigate a little more today, so I grabbed my 0-60 timing setup (ODB2 reader + Torque Pro app) and did a few rounds at a deserted local highway.

Car: Giulia Ti RWD w/ Performance package, all-season Pirelli's (stock)

Test 1: Regular launch - no revving when stationary
Average 0-60 time: 5.5s

Test 2: Rev up to 2500rpm while brake is engaged, then launch
Average 0-60 time: 5.2s

For Test 2, if I rev above 3000rpm the rear wheels will slip and the time goes up above 6s.

These are all in D-mode. Didn't see a big difference between auto and paddle-shift.

·
Registered
953 Posts
I decided to investigate a little more today, so I grabbed my 0-60 timing setup (ODB2 reader + Torque Pro app) and did a few rounds at a deserted local highway.

Car: Giulia Ti RWD w/ Performance package, all-season Pirelli's (stock)

Test 1: Regular launch - no revving when stationary
Average 0-60 time: 5.5s

Test 2: Rev up to 2500rpm while brake is engaged, then launch
Average 0-60 time: 5.2s

For Test 2, if I rev above 3000rpm the rear wheels will slip and the time goes up above 6s.

These are all in D-mode. Didn't see a big difference between auto and paddle-shift.
My observation as well.

Regarding the manual mode (paddle-shift), I wouldn't use it for launching (If you are trying to lower your time by the milliseconds). I would let the computer handle it considering the transmission in the Giulia is very good and the computer will know better when to shift then you would at WOT. I know its not as fun but strictly speaking about saving milliseconds.

What I find myself using the paddle shift for is to keep the RMPS in peak torque range and turbo spooled for instant response. For example, if I know that I have to quickly accelerate to pass a car to change lanes. I would not just slam on my gas pedal ( this car has a noticeable turbo lag). Instead, I quickly tap the left paddle and downshift two or sometimes even three gears to increase RPM to 3.5 to 4 and slam on the gas pedal and you feel immediate response and acceleration! You dont have to put the car in manual mode (by moving the shifter stalk to the left), just tap the paddle shift and it becomes manual automatically. The computer then will change to D mode automatically after a few seconds of no further input from the paddle shifters.

The reason why you should consider this method... The Giulia transmission has 8 gears and when cruising at highway speeds it is using the highest gear for fuel economy. You will notice your RPMs are below 2k when at cruising speeds which is not enough to really spool the turbo especially if you have been cruising at the same speed for a while. When you try to over take a car quickly and slam on your gas pedal, the car will not respond instantly as you would expect or like and this can be a dangerous. You car first has to automatically downshift several gears, while simultaneously spool the turbo in order to accelerate the car based on the increased input in the gas pedal.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Actually, I watched a video where the RWD Base was ripping 4.9 second runs for 0 to 60.

The Ti AWD version was running 5.1 second runs.

Motor Trend was also hitting 5.1 runs with a Giulia Ti instrument test.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Another note....I have a friend with a 2016 Macan S and I can hang with him off the line. He holds me by a nose for the run but can't separate from me. We are both were former SCCA motorsport drivers so we both know how to drive.

The Macan S is supposed to be a 4.6 second 0 to 60 car so my Giulia so far seems pretty darn fast to me for a 2.0 Turbo.

(BTW, my friend is very disappointed my $42k Giulia can hang with his Macan S.....hehehehehehe)

·
Registered
953 Posts
Another note....I have a friend with a 2016 Macan S and I can hang with him off the line. He holds me by a nose for the run but can't separate from me. We are both were former SCCA motorsport drivers so we both know how to drive.

The Macan S is supposed to be a 4.6 second 0 to 60 car so my Giulia so far seems pretty darn fast to me for a 2.0 Turbo.

(BTW, my friend is very disappointed my $42k Giulia can hang with his Macan S.....hehehehehehe)

lmao! awesome!

Conditions and variables make all the difference in the world. Temperature of your tires, compound material, tread design, time of day, surface temperature on the road, cold or hot and altitude all play a factor.

With this car, you'll notice a performance drop when flooring it at 70. That's where you will miss the V-6.

I have also noticed that the cold engine shake has slowly improved over time. I wonder if it has to do with the engine motor mounts being too stiff when new and needing a little break-in period as well. I know that 4-cylinder engines normally shake more than V-6s which was a concern of mine.

1 - 20 of 146 Posts