Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Giulia Ti RWD has the Ti Performance package and I basically drive it in D (in the DNA controller) all the time. I like the shifting either in Automatic or Manual mode, but I'm finding the handling crispness lacking. It is what I would call 'bouncy' vs. 'crisp' and there's a good bit of body lean. I was expecting it to firm up the dampers significantly during spirited driving. I've experimented with the dampers' Soft mode on and off to see the difference but I only really noticed it on straight highway driving.

For comparison, I was testing out the 2017 Audi S3 before the Giulia and that car (admittedly, shorter wheelbase and lower profile but same width tires) felt stiffer.

What do people think? Is the handling tight enough? Possible that my Adaptive dampers aren't working? I did really want the staggered larger wheels & tires but was able to wait for a special order. A wheel change may be a coming, although the 5 hole set order from the dealer would be about $3,000. oof!

·
Registered
343 Posts
Do you also have the 19" sports package? If not, that may be the difference. I have a Ti RWD with 19" but without the performance package so I can't adjust the dampers. When I drive in D, handling is very crisp. So much so, I'be had to get used to driving in D because the difference between N and D was that much different. (and driving in N, the car is no handling slouch, either)

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you also have the 19" sports package? If not, that may be the difference. I have a Ti RWD with 19" but without the performance package so I can't adjust the dampers. When I drive in D, handling is very crisp. So much so, I'be had to get used to driving in D because the difference between N and D was that much different. (and driving in N, the car is no handling slouch, either)
Yes, I have the 19" Ti Sport Package. I'm going to check tire pressure this AM.

·
Registered
45 Posts
My Giulia Ti RWD has the Ti Performance package and I basically drive it in D (in the DNA controller) all the time. I like the shifting either in Automatic or Manual mode, but I'm finding the handling crispness lacking. It is what I would call 'bouncy' vs. 'crisp' and there's a good bit of body lean. I was expecting it to firm up the dampers significantly during spirited driving. I've experimented with the dampers' Soft mode on and off to see the difference but I only really noticed it on straight highway driving.

For comparison, I was testing out the 2017 Audi S3 before the Giulia and that car (admittedly, shorter wheelbase and lower profile but same width tires) felt stiffer.

What do people think? Is the handling tight enough? Possible that my Adaptive dampers aren't working? I did really want the staggered larger wheels & tires but was able to wait for a special order. A wheel change may be a coming, although the 5 hole set order from the dealer would be about $3,000. oof!
It sounds like i have the same setup as you. I also noticed the body roll. I thought it had something to do with the dampers. Its not terrible just noticeable. I felt it on a sharp curve that i take every day. I was comparing it to my 1LE camaro then i noticed that i am taking the turn faster in the Giulia. Im going to do some experimenting. By experimenting i mean taking turns really fast to see what it feels like. It may just be in my head.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Try checking the tire pressure, they seem to be at 60psi when coming from the factory, I had to lower on mine and the loaner.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Try checking the tire pressure, they seem to be at 60psi when coming from the factory, I had to lower on mine and the loaner.
So mine were 32 all around instead of the recommended 35F/38R. Can't believe someone would have them at 60! That's Ford Super Duty truck level....

Reactions: RipTek

·
Registered
11 Posts
stupid question, but if you don't have the performance package and can't adjust the dampers ... how is the handling changing between D and N? if the dampers don't adjust, what does?

I thought the D/N/A adjustments were just throttle and maybe steering? i'm probably wrong, .. just trying to understand the options as a shopper.

I have a BMW without the adjustable dampers and really want it on my potential Giulia purchase.

·
Registered
343 Posts
stupid question, but if you don't have the performance package and can't adjust the dampers ... how is the handling changing between D and N? if the dampers don't adjust, what does?

I thought the D/N/A adjustments were just throttle and maybe steering? i'm probably wrong, .. just trying to understand the options as a shopper.

I have a BMW without the adjustable dampers and really want it on my potential Giulia purchase.
It gives you a sharper throttle, brake and steering response. This is also the fastest, sportiest handling car I've ever owned, so I'm sure it feel different for me than for those of you that have had orher sports cars/sedans. My Alfa Romeo Spider handled well, but was not this quick - and was 26 years old.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
The DNA system should also adjust the dampers regardless of the the button option. Unless I am missing something, that's the whole point. Even most supercars do not have a steering change in the various race modes and whatnot. That's pretty new, and more a factor with 4 wheel steering. Remember you are sitting in a higher position so it may feel different. 50-60 psi is insane! My Bridgestone R750 performance tires on my 360 are 40 psi max! After years of rattling my teeth and spine on my Stage 1 Flyin' Miata VMaxx race suspension, a little body roll will not be a problem. You have to learn weight transfer, how to load up a corner of the chassis and not upset the car.

·
Registered
418 Posts

DNA adjustments as listed are for cars without the performance pack which adds adjustable shocks and a lsd

·
Registered
312 Posts
It sounds like i have the same setup as you. I also noticed the body roll. I thought it had something to do with the dampers. Its not terrible just noticeable. I felt it on a sharp curve that i take every day. I was comparing it to my 1LE camaro then i noticed that i am taking the turn faster in the Giulia. Im going to do some experimenting. By experimenting i mean taking turns really fast to see what it feels like. It may just be in my head.
Ive been doing some "Testing" as well. Used to have a Porsche Cayman and obviously the Giulia doesnt have the same feel, I too realized my corner soeed was at or above what Im used to in the cayman. Also agree with the other poster about loading the chassis for more stability.. especially with how sharp the steering on the Giulia is.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
We just took delivery of our Giulia Ti Q2. Yes, we have the Ti Performance Package with LSD, paddle shifters & and active suspension. We only have 50 miles on her and that's all city driving. So, I don't have any feedback yet. It will be a few more weeks until I have time to get up into the canyons.

The DNA switch also effects the transmission and torque converter, as well as the other things previously mentioned.

Shocks won't stop body roll, they just slow it down so it takes longer to roll. If you want to control body roll, you can put on stiffer springs or stiffer anti-roll bars. I'm going to assume that it already has a weak swaybar.

My problem though, is I'm going to be comparing a sedan to a 4C. I've got a sneaky suspicion the 4C will drive better in the canyons.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I've continued to drive with various levels of speed and cornering aggressiveness and road conditions. Overall, I'm going to say I think the ride with the Adaptive dampers on my RWD Ti Performace is soft and bouncier than I would have expected/liked for a sport package equipped car. And, it does change noticeably with DNA, even when I toggle the 'Soft' button in the DNA dial.

For comparison, I think my 2011 Audi A6 Avant 3.0 with 19in sport package was more settled in undulating pavement corners, which is surprising. It's certainly fun to drive a livelier, quicker car. And I love many other aspects of it, but the sporty handling is a bit lower than expected.

I'm sure many will recommend lowering, springs, wheels, tires, etc., but my car is a lease and I'm not planning on messing with it much. I do wish I'd held out for a Ti with the staggered summer tire setup. If anyone is planning on aftermarket wheels and wants to sell the staggered setup I'm interested...

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,757 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,904 Posts
We just took delivery of our Giulia Ti Q2. Yes, we have the Ti Performance Package with LSD, paddle shifters & and active suspension. We only have 50 miles on her and that's all city driving. So, I don't have any feedback yet. It will be a few more weeks until I have time to get up into the canyons.

The DNA switch also effects the transmission and torque converter, as well as the other things previously mentioned.

Shocks won't stop body roll, they just slow it down so it takes longer to roll. If you want to control body roll, you can put on stiffer springs or stiffer anti-roll bars. I'm going to assume that it already has a weak swaybar.

My problem though, is I'm going to be comparing a sedan to a 4C. I've got a sneaky suspicion the 4C will drive better in the canyons.
There is a complex tradeoff between suspension stiffness and tire contact with the road. If things are too stiff or too damped the tires won't stay on the pavement when the pavement is uneven and although the car might "feel" better it won't go faster. Too soft and the suspension might hit the stops causing a sudden loss of traction or the whole vehicle might wallow also causing compromised traction. I don't think body roll is a primary factor in traction/cornering speed, but I could be wrong.

To be fair, try putting 4 (or even 2) adults with luggage for the weekend in your 4C when comparing handling. :)

Oh yeah, then wait for a snowy day in June...

Not exactly Giulia related: SR-108 in California finally opened 6 days ago. I managed to match the time of the Ferrari 599 Youtube video with my Protege, but while driving in the uphill direction (floored most of the time) with slow downs for rocks, water and ice on the road. I guess the Ferrari driver was not so fast. I had to drive back with my pickup (long story) and got it going sideways in one turn :surprise:

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
There is a complex tradeoff between suspension stiffness and tire contact with the road. If things are too stiff or too damped the tires won't stay on the pavement when the pavement is uneven and although the car might "feel" better it won't go faster. Too soft and the suspension might hit the stops causing a sudden loss of traction or the whole vehicle might wallow also causing compromised traction. I don't think body roll is a primary factor in traction/cornering speed, but I could be wrong.

To be fair, try putting 4 (or even 2) adults with luggage for the weekend in your 4C when comparing handling. :)

Oh yeah, then wait for a snowy day in June...

Not exactly Giulia related: SR-108 in California finally opened 6 days ago. I managed to match the time of the Ferrari 599 Youtube video with my Protege, but while driving in the uphill direction (floored most of the time) with slow downs for rocks, water and ice on the road. I guess the Ferrari driver was not so fast. I had to drive back with my pickup (long story) and got it going sideways in one turn :surprise:
My wife and I did drive the 4C to Seattle and back. 4,000 miles in three weeks. Took all the back roads. Mountains north, coast south. It was glorious. 'Creative Cramming' is a descriptive expression.

We have taken our Ti Q2 up into the canyons. About a 75 mile trip. I can feel the extra weight. She did well as to be expected. Not 4C well, but hey, she's not a 4C.

She felt good. Dynamic Manual (pseudo manual with paddles) worked well!
Steering stiffened up.
Trans shifts better.
Torque converter tightens up.
Shock damping stiffens.
Throttle is much more responsive.
She feels like she has more power (hp) and more torque.

She did not complain. She went where I told her to go. She inspired confidence. I wasn't on a track and I didn't push her to the limit.

I would have liked stiffer springs, anti-roll bars and dampers. But then she won't be the opera car around town that she is.

She'll be great with passengers and luggage on a long trip through the back roads viewing the scenery. Two completely different driving experiences. Both very enjoyable.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I believe the standard suspension is just that - standard w/out damping available. It's still quite tight, although I don't know how much of a difference there is having not driven the adaptable one.

I have the standard suspension and am quite happy with how the vehicle handles/feels. It's by far the best handling vehicle I've had - previous vehicles were M3 (E36) w/staggered setup, and an S4 which had the V8 so that was not as well balanced as the M.

The Giulia definitely feels much more confidence inspiring than either - although it's been well over 10 years since I've driven a BMW.

I really did want the Adaptive Suspension/Staggered wheels in 2wd, but would have had to order... took the awd since it gets quite snowy here, and got what I feel is a pretty good deal.

·
Registered
124 Posts
My 2 cents in. I have the Ti with Performance Package (Adaptive Suspension). The ride IS a bit bouncy but it also makes the 19" wheels with rubber bands on it feel bearable and downright comfortable.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.