Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I never saw this before, I couldn't find a switch to disable traction control on a TI rwd. Does anyone have schematics CD on wiring? in particular I am searching for the G Sensor. On my 370z I can disable traction control but it would still have some sort off nannies on once sliding the car, so I had to disconnect or put a switch on the Bosch G sensor under the console.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Not that I know about. I have the Ti Q2 version with LSD. No nanny-off that I know of. Would be interested in knowing how to disable it (the nannies) for a driving school.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
if anyone can post schematics of the SRS/Traction control module/locations I can take a look. We are looking for the G sensor/Yaw sensor normally made by bosch usually has about 3-4 wires, and 1 power that on the 350/370z we just put a toggle switch on, so the car no longer activate anything as it doesn't know how sideways you are going.

·
Registered
2017 Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio
953 Posts
if anyone can post schematics of the SRS/Traction control module/locations I can take a look. We are looking for the G sensor/Yaw sensor normally made by bosch usually has about 3-4 wires, and 1 power that on the 350/370z we just put a toggle switch on, so the car no longer activate anything as it doesn't know how sideways you are going.
the only problem i see with this is that the Giulia is far more complicated than the 350/370Z ( I owned a 370z by the way :)

The Giulia's brakes (brake by-wire) are also interconnected with the traction control system and several other systems....

Attachments

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,729 Posts
I never saw this before, I couldn't find a switch to disable traction control on a TI rwd. Does anyone have schematics CD on wiring? in particular I am searching for the G Sensor. On my 370z I can disable traction control but it would still have some sort off nannies on once sliding the car, so I had to disconnect or put a switch on the Bosch G sensor under the console.
One of the tuning companies posted to Giulia forums 2 months ago the following formula. I have not tried it. Maybe you could give it a try and let us all know if it works on your car:

Ignition on, engine not started.
Tap brake pedal once.
Tap accelerator pedal 3 times.

ESC disable (not functioning?) light comes on center display. Unclear what is needed to turn it back on.

This is obviously not suitable for short term disabling of ESC while driving, but if you are looking for fun on the track it might be what you are looking for.

Subaru simply has a switch on the dashboard...

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,463 Posts
There are times traction and stability control are not your friends. I want to be able to defeat them quickly and easily (no problem if they come back on with the next start). Alfa dropped the ball here.

Reactions: AlfaAndy

·
Registered
7,729 Posts
There are times traction and stability control are not your friends. I want to be able to defeat them quickly and easily (no problem if they come back on with the next start). Alfa dropped the ball here.
I certainly agree. For driving in the snow ideally there would be an on-off control on the steering wheel. Maybe ditch the unnecessary radio volume controls and use that switch for traction control on/off? For track use a turn-it-off-and-leave-it-off mode might be OK (i.e. add "race" mode to the standard Giulia). I wonder if the standard Giulia simply lacks a switch to request race mode, or if the entire system is designed with it removed?

Maybe a wiring diagram would help make a determination?

·
Registered
7,463 Posts
Second function for the start-stop defeat button?

·
Registered
7,729 Posts
Second function for the start-stop defeat button?
Has anybody tried shorting out the start-stop defeat button to see if that provides a viable means to disable this "feature"?
I remember somebody suggested it a while back, but don't recollect anybody saying if they had tried it.

·
Registered
7,463 Posts
Has anybody tried shorting out the start-stop defeat button to see if that provides a viable means to disable this "feature"?
I remember somebody suggested it a while back, but don't recollect anybody saying if they had tried it.
Tinting the windshield should take care of it.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
One of the tuning companies posted to Giulia forums 2 months ago the following formula. I have not tried it. Maybe you could give it a try and let us all know if it works on your car:

Ignition on, engine not started.
Tap brake pedal once.
Tap accelerator pedal 3 times.

ESC disable (not functioning?) light comes on center display. Unclear what is needed to turn it back on.

This is obviously not suitable for short term disabling of ESC while driving, but if you are looking for fun on the track it might be what you are looking for.

Subaru simply has a switch on the dashboard...
I would assume that turning off the engine and restarting the car in the normal fashion would reset it back to 'normal'.

Has anybody actually tested this to see if it works or if it's just talk?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Bump

·
Registered
10 Posts
So I picked up a Giulia Ti Q2 this past Friday. I had looked into the car a bunch, but had no idea about the lack of traction control disabling. I had even talked to the salesman about performance driving with the car, he said nothing. Very frustrated, as I might have gone for the QV based on this knowledge. It certainly doesn't help that Alfa posts pics of a Q2 drifting on Instagram.
I can't imagine Alfa stealing any sales from Audi, Porsche, BMW like they want to, when even the base VW golf can disable traction control. I have a call into to Alfa corporate to bitch at them about this, I am really hoping they will change this in a software update. I encourage everyone to call and voice their displeasure. Maybe they will fix this huge mistake they made in leaving it out of the car.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
So I picked up a Giulia Ti Q2 this past Friday. I had looked into the car a bunch, but had no idea about the lack of traction control disabling. I had even talked to the salesman about performance driving with the car, he said nothing. Very frustrated, as I might have gone for the QV based on this knowledge. It certainly doesn't help that Alfa posts pics of a Q2 drifting on Instagram.
I can't imagine Alfa stealing any sales from Audi, Porsche, BMW like they want to, when even the base VW golf can disable traction control. I have a call into to Alfa corporate to bitch at them about this, I am really hoping they will change this in a software update. I encourage everyone to call and voice their displeasure. Maybe they will fix this huge mistake they made in leaving it out of the car.
Let us know the outcome, please.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
This will be offered in the future (not a particularly near one).

I wouldn't advise pulling fuses. You'd lose every function related to the braking control unit: ABS, brake force distribution, power assistance, parking brake... even the speed signal, which would likely cause other nodes to fail.

·
Registered
7,463 Posts
Alfa may find itself receiving a lot of road assistance requests this winter when drivers accustomed to extricating themselves from snowy situations find doing so impossible due to the lack of a TC off switch.

May I safely assume the Stelvio is similarly encumbered?

·
Registered
7,729 Posts
This will be offered in the future (not a particularly near one).

I wouldn't advise pulling fuses. You'd lose every function related to the braking control unit: ABS, brake force distribution, power assistance, parking brake... even the speed signal, which would likely cause other nodes to fail.
As an update or via a new car?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts