Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

Often when I accelerate from a stop — and sometimes when I stop quickly — I have a thud sound that seems like it’s coming from the rear of the car.

I had some things in my trunk for a bit so I didn’t think much of it. But I’ve just removed everything and still have the exact same sound, so obviously it’s been the car this whole time.

I’m thinking it might be the spare tire cover. It seems rather loose and appears to be able to slide back and forth. Any other ideas?

I have a Ti Sport AWD.

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,729 Posts
Hello all,

Often when I accelerate from a stop — and sometimes when I stop quickly — I have a thud sound that seems like it’s coming from the rear of the car.

I had some things in my trunk for a bit so I didn’t think much of it. But I’ve just removed everything and still have the exact same sound, so obviously it’s been the car this whole time.

I’m thinking it might be the spare tire cover. It seems rather loose and appears to be able to slide back and forth. Any other ideas?

I have a Ti Sport AWD.
There is no spare tire. Perhaps you mean the trunk floor cover? I would check that the rear seats, including the center section are properly latched in place. I presume that you have already checked the trunk lid and that none of the seat belt clips are flapping around. Always try the simplest thing first.

·
Super Moderator
1,086 Posts
If the trunk is empty, my guess would be a barely loose shock

·
Registered
‘19 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,887 Posts
I've noticed a sound like that in a couple of Giulias I've driven, but over rough road. I've been thinking it was ungracious suspension activity, but maybe I should check that it's not the trunk floor or the foam beneath it, just to be sure.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks all

There is no spare tire. Perhaps you mean the trunk floor cover? I would check that the rear seats, including the center section are properly latched in place. I presume that you have already checked the trunk lid and that none of the seat belt clips are flapping around. Always try the simplest thing first.
I know there's no spare tire, I just described it that way because I didn't know it's just called a floor cover. It's the cover over the giant block of styrofoam where one might otherwise find a spare tire. ;)

What do you mean by checking the trunk lid? What from it might be loose and slide in that fashion?

Seat belt clips have been checked. It's more of a single directional thud with enough momentum, so it doesn't sound so much like something swinging away and then back.

I don't hear the sound over rough terrain or other times when the shocks are hit hard, it really sounds like something sliding forward/backward. But I don't have a good way to check if it might be the shocks.

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,729 Posts
thanks all

I know there's no spare tire, I just described it that way because I didn't know it's just called a floor cover. It's the cover over the giant block of styrofoam where one might otherwise find a spare tire. ;)

What do you mean by checking the trunk lid? What from it might be loose and slide in that fashion?
I don't know the formal name either, but there is no chance that it is "spare tire cover" :)

I think you can lift out the trunk floor cover and drive the car around without it to see if that is the source of the noise.

I was thinking that the trunk lid might be improperly latched.

One QV owner got a bad seat that would move during acceleration. He didn't mention any noise though.

What MY do you have? MacGeek mentioned that at some point MY2018s are supposed to have sound piped in from the engine bay to the stereo system. That might have the potential to make a sound in the engine bay sound like it is coming from somewhere else. He posted pictures of the location of the microphone on top of the engine near the intake.

If the sound is not coming from anything "obvious" perhaps a visit to your dealer is called for?

As pointed out in the Top Gear review of the Rolls Royce Dawn, as the car gets quieter sounds that might have always been there in previous cars get noticed.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's a 2018, yes. I tried driving around with the trunk floor cover removed and still heard the sounds. I might try removing the styrofoam blocks next in case it's those.

If it's the trunk lid, then it's improperly latched basically every time I use it!

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,463 Posts
That's just Paolo. They were supposed to tie him up better.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
My QV just has a compressor and a can of fix-a-flat. Do all Giulia’s have the same? It could be those two things shifting around or the electronics box under the floor moving or even the battery on the right side of the trunk not secured properly...

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Just to add I was curious what the whole battery compartment looks like exposed and came across a YouTube that goes through the whole battery replacement procedure on the Giulia. It’s worth a watch just to see how it’s installed. Maybe make sure the battery hold down is bolted nice and securely and that the strap is good and tight. The battery is a nice bit of weight that if loose could make for some thumping...

https://youtu.be/Xmrlbr0i6B0

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My 2018 Ti Sport AWD doesn't even have the compressor and fix-a-flat. Just a screwdriver. :)

Been through a number of other things but I'm still getting the sound.
- I've tried removing the styrofoam, the floor lid.
- Tried rear seats down.
- Tried tying up the loose seatbelts just in case.
- Checked everything in the right trunk battery area.
- Removed things from glove compartment.

The reason I really feel like it's something sliding around is I can't get it from hard acceleration two times in a row. I have to hard brake, hear the thud, then a hard acceleration will cause the thud again.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
I think perhaps your only recourse at this point is to find a flashlight and a small child to mount inside the trunk, temporarily of course for O2 and CO2 concerns, to observe where the sound is coming from and report back :wink2:

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
To follow up, I finally got it in front of someone certified to work on Alfas at a service center (god that was an annoying "adventure" on its own).

They spent some time with it and believe the noise is coming from inside the headliner in the trunk. They've never opened that up before and have received the procedure from Italy. Wish me luck.

·
Registered
‘19 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,887 Posts
luck wished. thanks for the follow-up.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
If you kidnap a fatter person they move around in the trunk less than a thin person

Forum mods/admins, please know that was a joke

·
Registered
202 Posts
Just to add I was curious what the whole battery compartment looks like exposed and came across a YouTube that goes through the whole battery replacement procedure on the Giulia. It’s worth a watch just to see how it’s installed. Maybe make sure the battery hold down is bolted nice and securely and that the strap is good and tight. The battery is a nice bit of weight that if loose could make for some thumping...

https://youtu.be/Xmrlbr0i6B0
Good youtube, but incomplete. If the battery is disconnected there are additional procedures required to recommission the car. I have read that the steering must be re-centered for example.

·
Registered
537 Posts
^Shouldnt have to, hit if so just turn the wheel to full lock each way a couple times and it should learn.

Reactions: julianm

·
Registered
876 Posts
I Bet its the battery flying around, cause that strap is stupid, why didnt they use bolt on brackets to secure it? mine gets lose over time and i have to retighten it. or the battery keeps flying around in there making noise lol

1 - 20 of 43 Posts