Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

Throttle tip-in lag

13K views 63 replies 27 participants last post by  bhvrdr 
#1 ·
I know that there are products out there to eliminate the pedal lag from a stop...but is there a good thread that summarizes options? I'm considering buying one and would like to know what's out there and what's good. I've almost gotten into a few accidents because my car doesn't move when I'm expecting it to... More power is always appreciated but only if it's an easily reversible mod and can be had with throttle remapping.

#47 ·
On the other hand, I have driven cars where the manufacturer wanted the driver to think that their car was immensely powerful because just barely pushing on the throttle would make the car leap forward. To give the owner a moment of ".... whoa, this thing is very powerful" with all the throttle movement in the first half inch of travel, with nothing after that. This was in the days before "drive by wire' and ECU's.

Ah, the days of mechanical linkages, when you could lean over the engine, and play with the carbs linkage. And adjust Holley float levels, change Power Valves and jets, and swap in advance springs. Using the White spring was like having a double pumper. Had a few carb fires too.

like these....

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Engine Auto part

Be safe, NV

#53 ·
You should definitely give these pedal things a try. They transform how car reacts to your inputs from sleepy/laggy to a much linear feel of pedal to power ratio. Don't go over with them though, too much and it will be touchy in D or Race mode.

#54 ·
Eurocompulsion are promoting a new FR controller that they get from Dimsport in Italy. It seems to have the best of both worlds - an in car toggle controller and Bluetooth connectivity " coming soon". Seems attractive. Anybody tried these?. Seems to involve a little more setting up, otherwise are all these devices pretty much the same?

#58 ·
I believe these work, there won’t be a lag pressing the throttle if the throttle is already being told to be at ‘20%’ (0%+x%) whilst you’re sat on the brake.

Unfortunately I don’t think these are really an option for me as it’s such an easy get-out for an insurance company (UK insurance is extremely picky) if an accident were to happen and they found a throttle manipulation device. I have no idea who would even insure it.

On VW you can adjust throttle sensitivity using their version of MES with a few clicks. So if I was inclined I could give the wife’s diesel Tiguan the same throttle sensitivity as a Golf R very easily. You can choose from 1 to 5 or something like that.

Surprised there isn’t something similar in the Alfa’s coding - it must be adjustable somewhere. Unfortunately beyond my own capabilities to go looking.

#60 ·
Unless you’re in the hospital in a coma, I’m not sure how the insurance company would ever discover one of these devices. They can literally be uninstalled in 2 mins If you’re concerned.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.