Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

21 - 40 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
I haven't had as much trouble as you guys from a start, it must depend on driving style ( although my other car is a turbo diesel which certainly requires an accelleration that doesn't go flat to the floor to get the best out of it).Where I have trouble is driving hard and coming out of corners smoothly. Others on this forum have complained about brakes grabbing (when I can come to a perfectly smooth stop every time) but my smoothness issues are the opposite and relate to that second or two after a sharp turn.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I'm glad to see this post getting a bit of traction.

Had this happen a couple of times today as I've been driving a bit. I've wondered if it might be related to the transmission- I haven't messed around too much with starting out in manual mode, i usually only use that when I'm already moving, but I've wondered if that's an easy cure. I dip my foot into it and the engine feels like it's bogging before everything wakes up and I go.

·
Registered
603 Posts
I'm glad to see this post getting a bit of traction.

Had this happen a couple of times today as I've been driving a bit. I've wondered if it might be related to the transmission- I haven't messed around too much with starting out in manual mode, i usually only use that when I'm already moving, but I've wondered if that's an easy cure. I dip my foot into it and the engine feels like it's bogging before everything wakes up and I go.
Funny you should mention that. On a three different audis with dct (dsg) tunes they were perfect shifter with one odd exception...a fault i could replicate daily but not many others identified with the same tune as me...

I noticed the glitch in that car because every day on the way home from work id play a little game called "rush the guard gate l" where id go from 40mph up the neighborhood drive dropping down to 5mph at the closes guard gate and id try to never come to a complete stop and just as the gate clears my front fenders id punch it.

The cars awd so its not like your burning out in your neighborhood looking likeca complete dick... id say partial dick...

Nonetheless when the car would slow to lets say 8mph approaching the gate it would actually shift down to 1st gear. Thats aggressive. Most cars wont downshift to first without being 0mph stationary...

So now in first gear at 8mph id punch it and the massive gear torque in first gear going full throttle from 8mph instead of a dig would confuse the absolute shit out of the tcu and presumably stability control systems and id get tc intervention lights and a huge reduction in power until shifting back to gear 2.

Anyways... i dont feel this is the same with the giulia but its a bit reminiscent

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Anybody with experience with the Vitesse controller? Looks like the cheapest I've found at $159:

Alfissimo/JBM and Madness both have (different) systems.

Has anybody installed a go-pedal and has it fixed this problem?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Ok I’m realizing something which points to the automatic transmission: When I switch to manual shift mode, either with the shift lever or paddles, and start off in 1st, the lag does not occur.

So. one could conclude that the lag is the auto transmission trying to figure out the optimum gear from stop, and in doing so, puts us in harm’s way occasionally. I’m 95% in D mode so in auto/D mode I still have lag.

This is not an engine mapping issue, it’s a transmission logic issue—what say you?

PS—my 2011 BMW X5 with the same ZF8 transmission does the same thing. Gotta be the ZF!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
73 Posts
Which of course indicates a ZF8 transmission issue. I presume any software update Alfa would/could provide would have no impact on the transmission? I’m assuming it runs on its own ECU.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Which of course indicates a ZF8 transmission issue. I presume any software update Alfa would/could provide would have no impact on the transmission? I’m assuming it runs on its own ECU.

ZF units have the ECU as part of the valve body , but its not programmed when its ships to whoever bought it , each OEM is responsible for the software that gets installed .

·
Registered
2017 Giulia QV Rosso Competizione
124 Posts
I have a QV but if I drive the wife's Stelvio Ti the way to avoid that turbo lag while on the move is to always downshift once or twice and it takes off..

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
So I did some "testing" which really just means driving my car...I think this is a problem of the transmission limiting torque off the line and trying to decide how to handle power output. It doesn't seem to matter whether my car is in manual or auto mode, if I stab it then there isn't much action until the giulia decides it's time.

I think I either need to learn pedal finesse to coax the thing forward or try a pedal tuner, but i've found at least one thread on this issue that suggests a pedal tune did not help with this specific issue.

Also, FWIW as a reminder, this is NOT turbo lag. This engine has more power between 1200 and 2200 RPM than many of the cars I've owned, and they could all get out of their own way better than this can from a stop.

·
Registered
2019 Alfa Romeo Giulia Ti Sport Q4
265 Posts
I found that the GoPedal+ remedied this issue for me right out of the gate. Made the car feel, in my opinion, like it should have from the factory. I like the convenience of the Bluetooth adjustability.

In all fairness, as has been said, each unit largely does the same thing on the back end. Adjustability methods seem to be where the difference lies.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
I found that the GoPedal+ remedied this issue for me right out of the gate. Made the car feel, in my opinion, like it should have from the factory. I like the convenience of the Bluetooth adjustability.

In all fairness, as has been said, each unit largely does the same thing on the back end. Adjustability methods seem to be where the difference lies.
Thanks, that's helpful.

·
Registered
2019 Alfa Romeo Giulia Ti Sport Q4
265 Posts
Thanks, that's helpful.
Glad to help. I have the GoPedal with Bluetooth in my Alfa and the standard GoPedal without Bluetooth in 124 Spider. They both function identically, perform well, and make a difference. That said, only difference is I adjust one via my phone and one via the wired remote.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
I'll repeat it until I die, all the various pedal modules increase the 'y' response to the given 'x' input of the pedal (example: you press 10% but it instructs the computer to give 30% gas), but THEY DO NOT reduce the software lag induced from when I touch the pedal to when anything (at all) happens.

Such lag, measured with letting go of the gas and tipping back on it while the car is in motion (say 30mph), is something like this:
A mode: 500ms
N mode: 300ms
D mode: 200ms
D mode manual: 100ms

Since there is such variation, it is not at all a limitation of the system, we know that it is capable at least of being as responsive as D manual.
And this is with the car rolling, if we measure from a full stop with the wheel turned, we can reach well over 2 seconds but there are other factors in play there (TC, ESC, transmission in neutral) so I won't even go down that road.

·
Registered
490 Posts
These go pedals etc seem to be available for most of these types of cars, not just Giulias. There must be some reason the manufacturers set them up this way. It can't be some sort of dangerous fault. So what is it?

·
Registered
105 Posts
I'll repeat it until I die, all the various pedal modules increase the 'y' response to the given 'x' input of the pedal (example: you press 10% but it instructs the computer to give 30% gas), but THEY DO NOT reduce the software lag induced from when I touch the pedal to when anything (at all) happens.

Such lag, measured with letting go of the gas and tipping back on it while the car is in motion (say 30mph), is something like this:

Since there is such variation, it is not at all a limitation of the system, we know that it is capable at least of being as responsive as D manual.
And this is with the car rolling, if we measure from a full stop with the wheel turned, we can reach well over 2 seconds but there are other factors in play there (TC, ESC, transmission in neutral) so I won't even go down that road.
Now measure again in Race :)
I found out that the ESC/TC is the thing that is responsible for the so called lag. It is way more pronounced when you try it with the steering wheel not straight.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #40

Do you have one of these pedals? It either will or won't help, some people who have one say it will help, and others say it won't. MFGs of course say it will, but the math says it won't. People who own them seem split, leaning towards "it will". I'd sure like to know that it'll help before I drop a couple benjis on the project.

21 - 40 of 62 Posts