Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that there are products out there to eliminate the pedal lag from a stop...but is there a good thread that summarizes options? I'm considering buying one and would like to know what's out there and what's good. I've almost gotten into a few accidents because my car doesn't move when I'm expecting it to... More power is always appreciated but only if it's an easily reversible mod and can be had with throttle remapping.

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
someone will correct me if I’m wrong I’m sure, but I believe the consensus opinion is all the major options you see mentioned here are basically the same. They all do the same thing, in a similar fashion, with some small differential in price. I have the Madness GoPedal which I think is great, but I think everyone would say the same for whatever choice they made.

Reactions: jnsd

·
Registered
490 Posts
someone will correct me if I’m wrong I’m sure, but I believe the consensus opinion is all the major options you see mentioned here are basically the same. They all do the same thing, in a similar fashion, with some small differential in price. I have the Madness GoPedal which I think is great, but I think everyone would say the same for whatever choice they made.
Ive been looking at these. Any downsides? I find it hard to believe manufacturers would leave the lag in for no good reason. What setting is your favourite and where do you put the dongle?

·
Registered
63 Posts
I found that it got 80% better over time. The initial lag was scary, especially when making left turns. I bought the madness to correct the issue but have really dialed it back to the lowest setting in sport mode just to fix the last 20%. It’s very drivable without it now. Since it’s already paid for I’ll leave it installed 😁

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just struggle with pulling out into/in front of traffic. I find that there are a few times, usually making 90* turns, that the thing just doesn't want to move until it decides it's ready. I'd like to get rid of it- otherwise the throttle mapping is fine, going from terribly sleeping (A) to nice and aggressive (D) without being too sharp.

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
Ive been looking at these. Any downsides? I find it hard to believe manufacturers would leave the lag in for no good reason. What setting is your favourite and where do you put the dongle?
Well, true confession time I guess. my version of the Madness GoPedal is the discontinued BT control only model. I did not want anything visible in the car. It was dead easy to install, took about 5 minutes. It was a small box with leads that just connect to the existing throttle connectors. The box easily tucks up under the dash. It comes with several pre-configured settings, sport on the more aggressive side, valet and beginner driver on the less aggressive side. Plus an infinite (I guess) number of user configurable maps.

Now the confession part, I will turn on a Sport mode very occasionally, makes the throttle very sensitive and is fun for just playing around on twistie back roads. But 95% of the time it’s off, and I just drive in D mode. Plenty responsive for my daily driving needs. I honestly don’t get the complaint about the lag. If you stomp the pedal to the floor there is some noticeable lag, but if you push it half or 3/4 down, there’s nothing that makes me uncomfortable when I’m driving in D. It’s more responsive than any of the Audis or BMWs I’ve owned in the past.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I honestly don’t get the complaint about the lag. If you stomp the pedal to the floor there is some noticeable lag, but if you push it half or 3/4 down, there’s nothing that makes me uncomfortable when I’m driving in D. It’s more responsive than any of the Audis or BMWs I’ve owned in the past.
WOW! Absolutely not my experience! "Dead, dead, dead... oh there it is" when I push the pedal from a stop, no matter how slow/light or fast/deep I push it. And it seems to be even worse when driving at higher altitudes-- in NM at 7k feet now and it's intolerable. The absolute worst thing about the car and making me seriously consider getting rid of it. I've never had this type of poor throttle response in any of the cars I've previously owned: '09 Jeep, '00 BMW, '9x Mazda, etc., even an 80s Oldsmobile was waaaaaay more responsive [Delta 88-- why'd the ever get rid of bench front seats? Loved having the lady up against me.]

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
WOW! Absolutely not my experience! "Dead, dead, dead... oh there it is" when I push the pedal from a stop, no matter how slow/light or fast/deep I push it. And it seems to be even worse when driving at higher altitudes-- in NM at 7k feet now and it's intolerable. The absolute worst thing about the car and making me seriously consider getting rid of it. I've never had this type of poor throttle response in any of the cars I've previously owned: '09 Jeep, '00 BMW, '9x Mazda, etc., even an 80s Oldsmobile was waaaaaay more responsive [Delta 88-- why'd the ever get rid of bench front seats? Loved having the lady up against me.]
Guess I just got one of the good ones😂.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Now the confession part, I will turn on a Sport mode very occasionally, makes the throttle very sensitive and is fun for just playing around on twistie back roads. But 95% of the time it’s off, and I just drive in D mode. Plenty responsive for my daily driving needs. I honestly don’t get the complaint about the lag. If you stomp the pedal to the floor there is some noticeable lag, but if you push it half or 3/4 down, there’s nothing that makes me uncomfortable when I’m driving in D. It’s more responsive than any of the Audis or BMWs I’ve owned in the past.
I guess this is why this post exists. 99% of the time it's fine, but when I'm pulling out into fast moving traffic, I never know whether my car is going to go or just hang out for a heartbeat before getting motivation. So it becomes a potentially dangerous situation and I now wait longer for a clearing than driving normally. I've tried pumping the throttle to get the car rolling and the engine motivated, but in my mind something needs to change for safety, not even performance. I drive at sea level FWIW...

·
Registered
476 Posts
I presume these are non QV cars. In my QV, with its high 1K RPM idle, I have to keep some rather substantial pressure on the brake to keep from creeping. So when I move my foot to the throttle, my car is already rolling, and wants to accelerate immediately. I would think a car that has substantial lag in moving from a stop would be a real concern. I have no idea why some of the above posters note it is worse when immediately turning one way or the other. Could it be the safety measures, the accelerometers for safety are confused, and the car is put in some safe mode momentarily. Perhaps if the car is "at speed", and the steering wheel is turned sharply, and the throttle is depressed, the safety systems just think that is not a good idea, and lag is introduced. Maybe the ECU is trying to avoid a wreck.

Those with throttle controllers will post their solutions to this. NV

·
Registered
487 Posts
I guess this is why this post exists. 99% of the time it's fine, but when I'm pulling out into fast moving traffic, I never know whether my car is going to go or just hang out for a heartbeat before getting motivation. So it becomes a potentially dangerous situation and I now wait longer for a clearing than driving normally. I've tried pumping the throttle to get the car rolling and the engine motivated, but in my mind something needs to change for safety, not even performance. I drive at sea level FWIW...
Spool the turbo up before darting into traffic

·
Registered
128 Posts
Same problem here = the only real concern with this 2018 Ti. Going up the street from home, street sloping uphill 2% - 8%, at the end there is an uphill right turn which is about 10% slope - so I'm already rolling and a bit into the throttle. At that right turn more throttle is applied and nothing happens for almost two seconds. Those of you who know and use the two-second rule on freeways know how far a car behind you can go in two seconds! I think @NAM VET may have the right idea about the nannies stepping in on sharp turns because this lag is worse than the usual lag from a stop (which is also disconcerting). I'm considering one of these pedal correctors (makes me think of orthotic shoes) too.

·
Registered
2018 Giulia Quattroformaggio, 2020 Stelvio TI Sport
306 Posts
Guess I just got one of the good ones😂.
Yeah, I guess I got 2 of the good ones. I had a 2018 TI Sport that I traded in for a 2020 Stelvio TI Sport. I have zero issues with this "lag" everyone complains about. I also have a QF and recall a thread where some were complaining about the same lag in the QF? I don't get it at all...

·
Registered
2018 Ti Sport Q4 Misano Blue
44 Posts
Yeah, I guess I got 2 of the good ones. I had a 2018 TI Sport that I traded in for a 2020 Stelvio TI Sport. I have zero issues with this "lag" everyone complains about. I also have a QF and recall a thread where some were complaining about the same lag in the QF? I don't get it at all...
I have a stock 2018 Ti Sport and have this lag issue that everyone is talking about. So you are saying as soon as you push the gas you had instant power to the wheels? I’ve been reading through this forum for a bit and thought this was normal with turbo charged cars. This is my first car with a turbo.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Whenever I have to accelerate quickly from a full stop, I hit the throttle a second before I actually want it to go. That’s how bad it is, especially when not in D.
I drove several 2.0 giulias and they all have it. If you don’t experience it, it just means you can’t detect it / got used to it / is not an issue for you.

·
Registered
603 Posts
For me its definitely throttle lag as opposed to turbo lag. Happens on both of my alfas

Its part throttle inputs from a stop like when merging onto a road ill give, say, 60% throttle and nothing happens for a brief second and then all the sudden full 60% throttle comes on. Its definitely very certain throttle inputs where i see it. Full throttle runs i dont notice it and loafing along really slowly with 20% inputs i dont notice it

·
Registered
2018 Giulia QV
117 Posts
I presume these are non QV cars. In my QV, with its high 1K RPM idle, I have to keep some rather substantial pressure on the brake to keep from creeping. So when I move my foot to the throttle, my car is already rolling, and wants to accelerate immediately. I would think a car that has substantial lag in moving from a stop would be a real concern. I have no idea why some of the above posters note it is worse when immediately turning one way or the other. Could it be the safety measures, the accelerometers for safety are confused, and the car is put in some safe mode momentarily. Perhaps if the car is "at speed", and the steering wheel is turned sharply, and the throttle is depressed, the safety systems just think that is not a good idea, and lag is introduced. Maybe the ECU is trying to avoid a wreck.

Those with throttle controllers will post their solutions to this. NV
I was wondering the same thing. Our QV definitely wants to go once you take your foot off the brake and when you hit the gas, she goes.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I’ve got it badly. 2018 Ti sport performance. What’s the fix? Do the go pedal devices really remove the lag?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2018 Ti Sport Q4 Misano Blue
44 Posts
I’ve got it badly. 2018 Ti sport performance. What’s the fix? Do the go pedal devices really remove the lag?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I’ve heard they do, but why can’t Alfa have a fix for this through an update or something.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts