Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi has anyone noticed when you decide to give the car a little of gas while cruising around 45-50 MPH there is a little bit of a lag/hesitation? Nothing notably to call it a problem but since the transmission is in a higher gear giving that little bit of gas is not as responsive as opposed to a lower gear. Is this something throttle related and or some type of TSB available in order to correct this slight hesitation? After all I do not want to floor the gas pedal and rev too much. I don't think that would be good for the transmission

·
Registered
124 Posts
Hi has anyone noticed when you decide to give the car a little of gas while cruising around 45-50 MPH there is a little bit of a lag/hesitation? Nothing notably to call it a problem but since the transmission is in a higher gear giving that little bit of gas is not as responsive as opposed to a lower gear. Is this something throttle related and or some type of TSB available in order to correct this slight hesitation? After all I do not want to floor the gas pedal and rev too much. I don't think that would be good for the transmission
I think that's just the way it is, the computer fights between fun and efficiency, **** tree huggers!

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Does anyone think it's the throttle or something to do with the transmission?

·
Registered
641 Posts
Does anyone think it's the throttle or something to do with the transmission?
I do. It's a turbo. It needs higher revs for power and a downshift is required.
That's why if you want better response, you drive it in Dynamic mode. It keeps the revs higher and the problem cited goes away.

If you want to drive it around in Normal mode, that is, of course, your prerogative. But the very point of using that is for better fuel economy and softer driving experience.

It's almost like saying "I just can't get the tires to spin when launching in "a" mode.

·
Banned
264 Posts
That's why if you want better response, you drive it in Dynamic mode. It keeps the revs higher and the problem cited goes away.

If you want to drive it around in Normal mode, that is, of course, your prerogative. But the very point of using that is for better fuel economy and softer driving experience.

It's almost like saying "I just can't get the tires to spin when launching in "a" mode.
yes so mask the problem by burning fuel and making the ride less comfortable...as far as initial lag, D mode does nothing to help...it a bad design...

·
Registered
641 Posts

yes so mask the problem by burning fuel and making the ride less comfortable...as far as initial lag, D mode does nothing to help...it a bad design...
OK, so I think you misunderstand what the various modes are designed to accomplish. If you are in "n" and in the speedband discussed, the mode will keep you in the highest gear it can so lowest revs for fuel economy. OP stated that he wants more responsiveness without the transmission going down a gear. Then get a CVT based car!

It's perfectly OK to drop down a gear, especially with such a great gearbox.

My point was that if you don't want to drop down one (or two) for quick accel, then ""d" will keep you in a lower gear anyway so won't need to drop down a gear.

It seems to me that your entire point is spurious. You simply don't understand how it's supposed to work.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm just trying to understand the natural characteristics of the throttle and the transmission in the N mode. As notated too this post was in the general section as I do not see it as an issue but rather being precautious with the transmission and or understanding the whole characteristics of the vehicle. I'm a concerned because I want to make sure the car operates as designed since the car had 6 updates while half of them were related to the engine/transmission

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,438 Posts
Maybe time for a poll asking people how often they switch driving mode?

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Hmm, let's see where this goes...

·
Registered
641 Posts
I'm just trying to understand the natural characteristics of the throttle and the transmission in the N mode. As notated too this post was in the general section as I do not see it as an issue but rather being precautious with the transmission and or understanding the whole characteristics of the vehicle. I'm a concerned because I want to make sure the car operates as designed since the car had 6 updates while half of them were related to the engine/transmission
SerpenteRosso....didn't mean to be insulting. There's something about Alfa908's attitude that makes me bristle.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ok no problem just trying to get some feedback to those who know what I'm talking about.

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,722 Posts
I have never heard of worrying about downshifts damaging the ZF8 transmission. Inferior automatics shift slowly, often adding a huge delay to the response time to throttle changes. My Giulia is on order so I can't try this myself, but I think you just want to punch it hard enough to get the response that you want. If you don't get the right response, adjust it up or down next time. Some older systems with wide gear spacing, slow shifting transmission, and no or poor coordination between engine RPM/throttle and transmission shifts could result in transmission wear and tear (similar to "slipping the clutch" when driving a manual). I am most familiar with said issue in older pickup trucks, which are often retrofitted with a "shift kit" that makes the transmission shift faster in order to reduce this problem. Giulia has fast shifts between relatively closely spaced gears and the engine RPM is closely coordinated with the shifts so that it should not have such issues.

The transmission is supposedly adaptive and will learn your habits over time. The accelerator probably senses both the position of the pedal and the speed with which it was moved to that position. My Subaru's engine/transmission is also sequence sensitive: if I punch it and immediately back off I can get full throttle from the engine without a downshift from the transmission.

Keep in mind this is throttle by wire. The computer looks at what you are doing with the pedal and then makes a best guess at what you intend and what gear and engine air/fuel flow will best satisfy the demand. You could be pushing the pedal 1/4 of the way down while the computer selects full throttle at a low RPM for example. A machine like this is not driven the same way as a wire throttle + manual transmission.

·
Premium Member
687 Posts
Seriously, the fix is a Gopedal or similar throttle module. NO HESITATION
He is not talking about initial lag, which is also a serious problem...read the post again...the go pedal wont help..
I will tell you that I have tried the car both ways with gopedal on and with gopedal off. At 45 mph when you need immediate power, the difference is very dramatic. The gopedal affects responsiveness at all points, not just off the line. I promise you. If I had a ton of time on my hands I'd take a video, but I don't. Seriously, why don't you see if you can buy one with a guarantee that if it doesn't do what I'm saying they take it back? I'm sure they'd go for it. I basically don't use downshift padde anymore, even though I loved doing that.

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,722 Posts
What about this:

http://blog.caranddriver.com/turbo-vs-non-turbo-putting-throttle-response-to-the-test/

The key phrase being "Porsche engineers acknowledge that the newly turbocharged 911 Carrera needs a full three seconds at wide-open throttle to achieve its maximum torque at 1800 rpm."

A test comparison follows, demonstrating that it is not really 3 seconds worth of bad, but that it is closer to 1 second.

This would also seem to relate to the observation that to get the best 0 to 60 you have to hold the brake, rev the engine and then wait a second or two. During this time the RPM will rise as well as the strain on the brakes. Then don't give it full throttle as you take off because otherwise the traction control will cut in and slow things down :)

According to the article, turbo lag decreases as engine RPM increases. Thus explaining most of the observations, except the claim that other highly boosted turbo engines seem to exhibit less of a delay.

Changes to reduce this delay are possible, but they come at the cost of fuel efficiency and smog production (i.e. probably won't pass smog even with a huge effort to do so). The "most hidden" is a high stall RPM torque converter, which will seriously reduce fuel economy and may cause transmission overheating problems. An electrically powered "turbo charger" is probably the best solution, but it isn't ready yet and apparently won't be available for a while if ever.

I wonder if light weight turbines in the turbo charger could be made to work and reduce the lag? Titanium on the exhaust side and aluminum on the intake side? Maybe this has already been done?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts