Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've had my Quad since July 8th, 2017. About 9000 miles on it (I know, a lot! Can't help myself!)

I just wanted to start a "brag on this engine" thread, since I did not see one.

So powerful, and apparently bulletproof, so far? Not many "engine related" problems on the forums?

I know I can drive the snot out of mine, 2.5 hour trips with speeds up above 80mph - does not seem to phase it. No overheating, no weirdness.

I have had brake and electrical problems with the car (a loose connector they took 23 days to find at the dealership) but this new engine seems destined for greatness.

Feeling my seat vibrate at idle - I love that! The beast is ready to roar and you know it, unlike other engines of this ilk which do everything they can to avoid harshness or vibrations. Let the car communicate its readiness to the driver!

The super-quick paddle shifter response - I know this is partly transmission, but the engine don't care!!

I've had some cars with great/solid engines before:
1991 Toyota Cressida (solid, super-reliable 6)
1992 Infiniti Q45 (amazing 8)
2002 Acura RSX (rip-roaring 4)
2011 BMW 335d diesel (425 ft/lb torque!)

But this engine is better than any of them. Glad to have it in my engine bay.

>:)

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/content/dam/cars/2017/08/10/TELEMMGLPICT000137082758_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqpVlberWd9EgFPZtcLiMQfyf2A9a6I9YchsjMeADBa08.jpeg?imwidth=1240

·
Registered
647 Posts
Oh here we go again, another Giulia Fanboy!

:D :D :D

PS: Nice Video!

Reactions: Alfaholico

·
Registered
576 Posts
Mine has been absolutely flawless so far for over 11k miles. Only an oil change and two software updates required. Best driving car I’ve owned to date, and that list includes nearly 20 high end German cars, including: an F80 M3, 4 AMGs, 4 Porsches, countless other Mercedes/BMWs/Audis. Alfa created something truly special with the Quadrifoglio.

·
Registered
334 Posts
And one of the best things about it is its versatility. you can go in "A" and "N" DNA mode and its a very smooth daily driver. Put it in "Race" or even "D" and its capabilities are outstanding, sometimes when you pass a bunch of cars it looks like they're backing up. 10 K miles on mine and I enjoy it more every time I drive it ......I can honestly say I never worried about the glove box fit when it finally came to the US and I got it ...... Everything works and fits fine .....

·
Registered
423 Posts
Thanks for this glorious thread OP!

Lots of hand-wringing over potential reliability issues...not entirely without merit...but things seem to be improving.

NOW we can get back to why we all fell for this car in the first place!

·
Registered
3,313 Posts

10:50 to 12:28, engine comments from the designer

I believe the only differences are the sump or whatever else needed to be modded for AWD, as the numbers are the same.
yes, I know you purists aren't too excited about my truck, but figured you would like 45 seconds of this.
and yes, I am disappointed that the AWD doesn't turn off in race mode, as I will likely understeer into a tree or the house when doing my snow 180 to park at home.

·
Registered
5,219 Posts
Not Too Shabby for a "Non-Ferrari" Engine

FINALLY!....yes she is pretty....yes she is unique....
BUT THAT ENGINE...is just a work of art....I wish they would ditch the plastic cover...but that seems to be the norm for ALL manufacturers these days
such a versatile engine with a big fat power band....and together with a suspension & chassis that are perfect together....it is just a blast to drive...
I believe that the early kinks have been worked out....biggest issue for the QV (in my case) was that the dealer was not up to snuff to work on them when I got mine last year...after the initial hiccup & fix...this car has been 100% flawless from track duty to long road trips to everyday driving...
though I was denied a parking spot in a garage once in NYC>:)

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
"ditch the plastic cover"

and plastic valve covers and whatever else - and I would be happy to add a pound or two of finned aluminum aftermarket stuff to make opening the hood less of a 21st century experience.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
....says the guy who will be removing the rear middle seat belt because he's worried about dragging all that weight around !!!! >:)

Sarcasm aside...I find the engine bay a huge disappointment in my Quad...Every Alfa I've owned has a beautiful engine compartment....That plastic cover with the faux aluminum painted intakes is EMBARRASSING.....I somehow thought Alfa would stay true to form...but alas....

Reactions: Greg Stidsen

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
"says the guy"
I hope you weren't referring to me, as I've never mentioned such a concern or solution.
I'm the guy that's fine with tossing more stuff in the trunk to keep balance (partly a joke), and wants to trade the CF interior bits for light (in color) wood.
easy to do on the doors, the dash I don't know about yet.

I absolutely agree with your second paragraph, Dr.D.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
"MY BAD" !!!! So sorry...I got you confused with another Forum member that had a whole big diatribe about reducing weight on a Giulia that I thought quite frankly was a bit ridiculous...my apologies....MA BAD ....MUCH LOVE....:laugh:

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Now a Carbon Fiber cover would definitely improve the aesthetic.....

·
Registered
271 Posts
"ditch the plastic cover"

and plastic valve covers and whatever else - and I would be happy to add a pound or two of finned aluminum aftermarket stuff to make opening the hood less of a 21st century experience.
Well I knew this thread would not last long until we had someone cry about something inconsequential. Who cares! It's under the hood that is closed 99% of the time.

And if they did something 'nice' it would cost more and then the cheapo's would whine it's too expensive.

Man I've never seen more complaining about silly stuff...and that is MY opinion.

Okay--back to the purpose of this thread...

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Have you ever seen the engine bay of a 164 or a twin cam Alfa ?

·
Registered
271 Posts
Have you ever seen the engine bay of a 164 or a twin cam Alfa ?
Don't care--this is not a 164 or twin cam. This is 2018 and for $80k you get what you get. You want 'beautiful' it will cost you and AR is in the money making side of things now. Ironically if they offered it as a $1500 option for CF cover--99% of the people that complain already about price would not buy it.

You can have fantasies about glorious engine looks. If you want that, hopefully they will come put with a variant of the Giulia that meets your expectations (and price point).

Get real.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Don't care--this is not a 164 or twin cam. This is 2018 and for $80k you get what you get. You want 'beautiful' it will cost you and AR is in the money making side of things now. Ironically if they offered it as a $1500 option for CF cover--99% of the people that complain already about price would not buy it.

Get real.

My Quad cost me $92....$ 2 K more for a carbon cover was no biggie....:nerd:

1 - 20 of 88 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.