Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The latest thing: I inched onto a parking block at the soccer field last weekend. Just barely onto it (the block is only slightly taller than my ground clearance), then gently backed off the block and went on with my day. The next morning I noticed that the whole frickin' right side bumper had come loose from its mount and was hanging loose from the body of the car. Looking into the wheel well, that vented structure which is supposed to be angled to flow with the shape of the wheel has been bent, too. I haven't looked deeper to see what else is wrong but I'm sure there's more. Off to a body shop to get the $1,000 estimate. Or more.

And this is just a couple months after another repair when the wheel hit a poorly-marked curb at about 5 MPH, causing $10,000 (yes, $10,000) in damages to the undercarriage of the car.

Jeezus, what's next? A gust of wind takes out the side mirrors?

·
Registered
32 Posts
I haven’t had anything quite like that. But a month ago I was having some fun following a friend in his Shelby, I went over an unexpected dip, then a crest. The car didn’t bottom out or damage anything, but it freaked out and went into limp mode. The code said it lost communication with the Transmission Control Unit. I cleared it and everything was fine, but curious to see how it stands up to a track day. I know others take them out there, so maybe it was a fluke.

·
Registered
192 Posts
You drove over a curb and did $10,000 in damage and expect us to believe that you gently pulled onto and off a parking block and that resulted in pulling the bumper off? Most of us on here have pulled up to a parking block or two without pulling the bumper off the car.

In other news, I scraped the splitter hard at least a dozen times on a backroad that was in questionable condition as I kept hitting surprise dips in the road as I was ripping down it. Didnt do any damage other than probably a bunch of scrapes, didnt cause any codes. Very fragile :LOL:

·
Registered
260 Posts
It’s not just curbs. It’s any sharp change in grade. Such as coming out of parking lots or going over raised manholes.

The lowest point of the car isn’t the front splitter. It’s actually the two points at either end of the front fascia. If you scrape either you have a good chance at dislodging the fascia from the piece that connects it to the bumper. There’s no fixing it if you destroy the fasteners on the inside of the wheel wells. You can band aid it with glue/adhesive but the only way to truly fix it is to replace the complete front bumper.

What did you do to the underside of your car that cost 10k? Was it the active aero mechanisms for a qv?

·
Registered
10 Posts
The OP ran over a curb and damaged his vehicle, later drove over a parking block and again damaged his vehicle, and then decided to post a thread claiming that the Giulia is fragile.

It’s not a bumper; it’s a facia.

The photographs below show the results of a large SUV rear ending a Giulia. The photographs illustrate the well known and well documented strength and structural integrity of the Giulia. No complaints about fragility from this owner.

Just since this thread was posted, I have seen a Lexus and a BMW with their front facias secured to their bodies with duct tape. I also noticed an E Class Mercedes with multiple deep scrapes on the underside of its front facia.

When my Ti Sport was quite new, I twice drove over and backed off of parking blocks, scraping the underside of the front facia. The only significant damage was to my ego.

I have since learned to heed the warnings of the parking sensors, to avoid small obstructions in the road ahead, and to approach driveways and abrupt inclines at an angle. Covered 14,000 miles without incident.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Wow, no wonder insurance is so high on these cars. Has anyone thought to install some kind of skid plate on the front?

·
Registered
994 Posts
I learned the hard way... dented my previous Giulia splitter on a curb (I thought I could clear it) and scraped the bottom a lot on onramps. Now I slow down on the exact spot needed and no more contact. Just gotta figure out the right speed and angle.

·
Registered
59 Posts
The clips on the side of the bumpers are definitely very weak. Hopefully the bumper was just dislodged and you can press the bumper sides back in. If they break (like Yaibal mentioned) you will need a new bumper or polyurethane glue. My splitter underside is also really scraped up (especially now that its lowered).

·
Registered
14 Posts
My wife drives a crossover and several (I counted 3) times she hit and went up on the curb while parking, not just scraping it. I wanted to cry, the bumper is scraped on the bottom but it is not fragile as it is still there

·
Registered
15 Posts
My Giulia experienced “straddle scraping” at the top of my sloping driveway. It was after I filled the tank and had another person in the passenger seat. It caught the car midway under both side skirts. I have never experienced this with any of my previous cars.
The vehicle does seem to be low with a long wheelbase, and maybe the fact it has rear wheel drive adds to the risk.
So I was wondering whether the Giulias were more susceptible to this straddle scraping In the centre area of the car. I know some here have commented on the front spoiler scraping.
I have to work out a way to prevent it with my particular driveway, maybe with a ramp of some sort, but in the meantime I just take it very slowly and on an angle (still only about a finger thickness clearance).

·
Registered
349 Posts
Jeep, Hummer and Land Rover are looking for some Alfa Romeo owners to make them happy. Do we know anything about that guy in Dallas, I think, that almost destroyed and totaled his QV when he was parking it at his home's garage?.

·
Registered
89 Posts
My Q4 has around 5" of clearance on the bottom of front spoiler, to put it into perspective, a lowered M3 has around 6", the Civic type R has more than 6", Subaru STI has 7", MB- C class has more than 6"...... so, the QV and the Q2 will have even lower fronts, i even notice some Lambos has more clearance than our Giulias...

·
Vendor
1,281 Posts
The latest thing: I inched onto a parking block at the soccer field last weekend. Just barely onto it (the block is only slightly taller than my ground clearance), then gently backed off the block and went on with my day. The next morning I noticed that the whole frickin' right side bumper had come loose from its mount and was hanging loose from the body of the car. Looking into the wheel well, that vented structure which is supposed to be angled to flow with the shape of the wheel has been bent, too. I haven't looked deeper to see what else is wrong but I'm sure there's more. Off to a body shop to get the $1,000 estimate. Or more.

And this is just a couple months after another repair when the wheel hit a poorly-marked curb at about 5 MPH, causing $10,000 (yes, $10,000) in damages to the undercarriage of the car.

Jeezus, what's next? A gust of wind takes out the side mirrors?
I ripped off mine transporting it in Feb. Oh well. It's low and the splash guard wind deflectors on the bottom of the bumper catch everything.

This is nothing new for Alfa or any other brand these days. They are all fragile with these bumper covers. Alfa is always fragile, mostly interior stuff though.

·
Registered
330 Posts
then gently backed off the block
This brought back memories. 2 day old 2004 BMW 3 cabrio (bought in May 2003)... Wife was taking 5yo to soccer, pulls up on a parking block, hears something, backs up, gets out, calls me to say the bumper shell completely ripped off! :( (This was before cell phone pictures were the only way to live life).

1 - 20 of 84 Posts