Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
spotted this on Facebook and looks like a US plate. Wondering what springs they went with and if it's a Q4? Be interested in the experience

Attachments

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Cool. Don't know but I have fender roller if you need the tool ;)

·
Super Moderator
1,086 Posts
Call Rotiform and ask for Jason. They'll probably know the owner. They make some incredible wheels there.

Reactions: FNM

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
I could understand if it were a dedicated track car...... but for the street it looks too much like a low rider......
Just my opinion of course....

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I thought that from the second pic but from the first pic I see light and gap. Interested in if it's a scrape mobile or not.

I'm not going to stalk but was hoping the owner was a lurker or someone registered as they seem to have put a lot of effort into the car and not share it here :D

·
Registered
5 Posts
It's most likely on bags.

It could be static but that's way to low for everyday driving, IMO.

·
Registered
2017 Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio
953 Posts
The stance is aggressive for sure and looks cool but not very practical at all. The front bumper is maybe 3 inches off the floor. There is a lot of potential for damage.

It's most likely on bags.

It could be static but that's way to low for everyday driving, IMO.
I haven't seen any kits yet available for the Giulia. Plus, this would hamper the incredible ride handling capabilities of the Giulia. We are not talking about a Toyota Camry but a very well designed, precision, performance oriented suspension system. Put bags, and you are essentially throwing all that way and sticking your middle finger to the Ferrari, Maserati/ alfa romeo engineers.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The stance is aggressive for sure and looks cool but not very practical at all. The front bumper is maybe 3 inches off the floor. There is a lot of potential for damage.

I haven't seen any kits yet available for the Giulia. Plus, this would hamper the incredible ride handling capabilities of the Giulia. We are not talking about a Toyota Camry but a very well designed, precision, performance oriented suspension system. Put bags, and you are essentially throwing all that way and sticking your middle finger to the Ferrari, Maserati/ alfa romeo engineers.
People do bags everyday nowadays on any Make & Model (Custom Setups too)...Even if it sacrifices Ride Quality/Quality of Parts, etc.

I'd be VERY surprised if this wasn't on bags.

I hope you don't take this post or my previous post as knocking the Giulia suspension components, I'm just making an educated guess because it looks a lot like it's on bags due to the ride height and lack of wheel gap.

EDIT: Car Pictured in Post #1 is on KW Coilovers

·
Registered
438 Posts
My prior car, Golf R, was stanced similarly and was perfectly acceptable for daily driving even with Boston potholes. I was running KW V1 coilovers.

Just have to take it a little slower on incline driveways, and speed bumps etc. The longer wheelbase of the Giulia will be interesting though from an approach angle perspective.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Yeah, I just hope they didn't cut the springs. With those rims, they probably didn't. It could very well be on coil overs. And that front lip is more like 2 inches but maybe I am confusing that with the 4 on my Miata. The Quad in that recent review thread that was on a lift and had gouges in both the active splitter and the bumper lip corner. I need to study it to see if a skid plate can be fashioned for maybe both if it will work with the aero.

·
Registered
5 Posts
He's running KW Coilovers (Static), I found his Instagram page:

lv.223

I stand corrected from my above post.

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Good find! I ran my Rx7 that slammed and scraped it all the time, the cringe on my face when I heard the noise... :)

Hopefully he/she will join

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Bags are in no way inferior to springs, for purely physics perspective they do exactly same job as springs provided they are dimensioned properly....putting Giulia on bags would not compromise its handling one bit....problem with bags is of course cumbersome package, compressor, air tank, right bags etc....bags are mostly gound even standard on large luxury vehicles where weight and size does not affect overall vehicle packaging so much....aftermarket modified cars however can look positivelly silly with air out when parked lol....

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,754 Posts
Bags are in no way inferior to springs, for purely physics perspective they do exactly same job as springs provided they are dimensioned properly....putting Giulia on bags would not compromise its handling one bit....problem with bags is of course cumbersome package, compressor, air tank, right bags etc....bags are mostly gound even standard on large luxury vehicles where weight and size does not affect overall vehicle packaging so much....aftermarket modified cars however can look positivelly silly with air out when parked lol....
Bags do behave a little differently from springs. Springs are very close to perfectly linear, bags not so much. Bag behavior changes more notice-ably with air pressure and temperature than metal springs. It is difficult to get bags that can match the range of motion of springs (this would mostly be relevant for the rear springs in Giulia), so that complicated stacked bags may be required. It is difficult to implement anything like the behavior of a progressive spring using air bags. This is an issue when lowering a car, since stiffer springs are needed the lower you go in order to avoid bottoming out. As a result, when bags are installed to lower the car significantly, more-or-less fixed rate stiff bags are installed and the ride becomes harsh all of the time.

Except for the last issue above, these are all secondary effects that might be apparent in timed laps on a track, but that are unlikely to be evident in normal to aggressive street driving.

The weight cost is around 20 pounds for compressor, tank, and hoses. Roughly 1 cubic foot of space will be lost from somewhere.

For Giulia one of the bigger problems with installing bags is that the front suspension is coil over. "Bag over" exists, but it has to be custom made to the vehicle and usually involves replacing or modifying the shock. Replacing the adaptive shocks on Giulia could prove difficult. Giulia's front shocks are welded together in a fashion that makes modification of them very difficult to impossible.

Height adjustment "pneumatic cups" exist for coil over systems, but all that I have seen appear to be made for temporary lifting of the vehicle for getting over obstacles rather than lift and drive that might be desired for driving on a snow covered road.

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,754 Posts
I could understand if it were a dedicated track car...... but for the street it looks too much like a low rider......
Just my opinion of course....
Saw a guy on the expressway a few days ago with a very low to the ground Japanese car of some kind; he had maybe 2-3 inches of ground clearance. It was not decorated like a typical low rider.

Anyway, the car pogo-ed violently with each tiny bump in the road--like a typical low rider. I'm not sure such a setup would be constructive on a track and it certainly was not improving manners on a public highway.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Saw a guy on the expressway a few days ago with a very low to the ground Japanese car of some kind; he had maybe 2-3 inches of ground clearance. It was not decorated like a typical low rider.

Anyway, the car pogo-ed violently with each tiny bump in the road--like a typical low rider. I'm not sure such a setup would be constructive on a track and it certainly was not improving manners on a public highway.
I was trying to be diplomatic, although in general tracks are much smoother that conventional highways and are more forgiving to lowered vehicles.....

Attachments

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Not sure how Ferrari does it (air vs. hydraulic vs. electric) but you can see it deployed on my favorite Scuderia F12 pic. Very useful. That is not the "factory" wheel gap! This was taken at FoNE center display at front door, velvet rope, about 2 years ago.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.